+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree258Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

On vacation, I read "My life in France" - about Julia Childs start as a curious American who embraced French life and food. It was wonderful and makes me want to cook! I hadn't known that much about Julia Child - but now I am a great fan of hers.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Cool! I adore King's Russell & Holmes series, but I haven't kept myself up to date on the newer releases. I need to get Justice Hall, Locked Rooms, and The Game.

If you enjoy Justice Hall, you may also want to read the latest effort from Laurie R. King, The Art of Detection. It features King's other detective, San Francisco P.D.'s Kate Martinellini, so it's very different from the Russell/Holmes series. Just as addictive, though, and this one moves into very similar territory as it deals with the murder of a die-hard Sherlockian and an old manuscript that just might be penned by the master of detection himself. The Art of Detection was a wonderful read; I recommend it to you and anyone else who's into Sherlock Holmes and/or Mary Russell.

I'm swamped with required reading at the moment, so I'm all about Heidegger and Adorno right now. I do feel the need to come up for air and read something more easily digestible when I find the time, though. Right now, my "fun" read is The Sinner by Tess Gerritsen, a chilling and cleverly plotted thriller about medical examiner Maura Isles. Dr Scarpetta, eat your heart out! Next in the fun pile: Peachtree Road by Anne Rivers Siddons. I first became acquainted with Ms Siddons when I read The House Next Door this summer, and while that one is a drastic departure from her usual themes - it's a scary but decidedly literary haunted house story - I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy her "regular" work as well. I'm a sucker for first sentences, and the first couple of sentences of Peachtree Road are just amazing: "The South killed Lucy Bondurant Chastain Venable on the day she was born. It just took her until now to die." It's a LONG read, though, so I'm afraid that once I pick it up, I won't be able to let it go until it's finished. Too bad I didn't pick it up in between semesters; this seems like the kind of novel you really want to dwell in. Ah well, that's being a student for you!
    Yeah Just finished reading Art of Detection that was good I also read To Play the Fool and her other Kate Martinelli books. They were awesome reads and it took alot of guts for King to use a lesbian as the main charecter or am I wrong are there other authors who are just as gutsy as she is.
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

I'm reading some french book. It's about a love story. It's actually pretty good, but very very long.

''Semiramis, La conquerante''

It's good. Read it.

exxotica

Quote Originally Posted by Shaybo View Post
    Yeah Just finished reading Art of Detection that was good I also read To Play the Fool and her other Kate Martinelli books. They were awesome reads and it took alot of guts for King to use a lesbian as the main charecter or am I wrong are there other authors who are just as gutsy as she is.
    You're way ahead of me - very cool! If you haven't already, you must pick up A Grave Talent, the very first Martinelli novel. It's by far the best one in my opinion, and it deserves every single award it got.

And yes, I admire Laurie R. King for having a lesbian protagonist. Of course, in this day and age, writing openly and honestly about gay relationships shouldn't be a big deal, but let's face it: to a lot of people (too many people!) it still is. So yeah, props for King. Kate and Lee make such a great couple, and I love how King portrays their relationship. When I read A Grave Talent, it took me at least a hundred pages to realise that Kate's partner was in fact a woman, though.

ETA: I should read people's posts properly before I post. You've already read all the Martinelli books, right? If so, I suggest you look into her stand-alones, Folly, Keeping Watch, and A Darker Place. I haven't read them - don't ask me why, because I'm a big fan of hers and will read just about everything she publishes. Lack of time, I guess - so I'd be very interested in your opinion.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 09-04-2006 at 04:09 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    You're way ahead of me - very cool! If you haven't already, you must pick up A Grave Talent, the very first Martinelli novel. It's by far the best one in my opinion, and it deserves every single award it got.

And yes, I admire Laurie R. King for having a lesbian protagonist. Of course, in this day and age, writing openly and honestly about gay relationships shouldn't be a big deal, but let's face it: to a lot of people (too many people!) it still is. So yeah, props for King. Kate and Lee make such a great couple, and I love how King portrays their relationship. When I read A Grave Talent, it took me at least a hundred pages to realise that Kate's partner was in fact a woman, though.

ETA: I should read people's posts properly before I post. You've already read all the Martinelli books, right? If so, I suggest you look into her stand-alones, Folly, Keeping Watch, and A Darker Place. I haven't read them - don't ask me why, because I'm a big fan of hers and will read just about everything she publishes. Lack of time, I guess - so I'd be very interested in your opinion.
    It too took me a while to realise that Lee was a woman, and I just automatically assumed that Lee was a man whoops. Once I'm done with Justice Hall I'll try reading Folly.
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

Last night I bought another copy of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer(I kept giving all my others away to friends) and finally read past the first chapter. I never stopped and just finished the book. Wonderful! Of course I will be buying New Moon, especially since there was a hook in the back of Twilight. I have to get it right away. I would call one of my friends who have all the other copies of Twilight that I bought to barrow their copy of New Moon, but I like the author so much that I am going to buy the copy myself.

Steph, you should write forever. I just know you are getting rich off of these books. I could hardly get out of the store so many people were telling me how much I would like your writing. I assured them that I already knew I would. Two ladies in particular gushed about how they had read your books back to back and just craved more. I totally understand how they feel. One girl told me you ruined her last relationship as noone could compare to Edward. One guy finally asked me what book it was and where he could find it. I saw him later at the register with two copies.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I just finished The Linnet Bird.What a fabulous read.Had me from the first page.

CCL
    Finished Stephenie Meyer's New Moon - it was fabulous. Stephenie is such a great writer and so deserving of her success.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Celia Rees
    The Wish House

i love that book

I'm halfway through The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd and so far, I'm loving it. Luminous prose, intriguing subject matter, and the atmospheric setting really makes me want to visit South Carolina's Low Country. It's easily as good as The Secret Life of Bees. Can't wait for a new Sue Monk Kidd novel.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread