+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Oh blast it, I wrote a long post that got lost in the ether. I'm too tired to reassemble all my thoughts, but I'll still mention I'm reading Crime and Punishment right now, and the book I'm recommending this summer is Christopher Priest's The Prestige. Read it before the Christopher Nolan film comes out this summer (with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman in the roles of rival Victorian magicians--if that didn't get your attention, I don't know what will! ); I personally loved it.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Wait -- there are TWO books about rival Victorian magicians? This is one separate from Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by owlie View Post
    Harvest, I just finished That Old Ace in the Hole and I loved it too. Then I listened to it on CD and loved it even more. The reader was fabulous. I think it is just about the finest piece of writing I've come across in a while. The characterizations and descriptions are so vivid and true. Fantastic all around!
    You are all so well read, I don't quite feel qualified to participate in this thread, but this book is in my "To Be Read" pile. I may have to move it closer to the top.
    I've just finished Smilla's Sense of Snow; A Thread of Grace and The Master Butcher's Singing Club. Loved them all.

ETA:
    Oh, am anxiously awaiting the movie version of The Namesake, too.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    I may have to move it closer to the top.
    I've just finished Smilla's Sense of Snow
    cricketeen, if you enjoyed that one, make sure to look for more of Peter Hoeg's work. He is one of my favourite Scandinavian authors, although he doesn't publish new stuff often enough. "Smilla" is one of my favourite Hoeg novels - I almost named my cat Smilla as an homage! - but Borderliners is even better, in my humble opinion. Beautiful, beautiful language. I also recommend The History of Danish Dreams and Woman and the Ape. He has a new novel out now, his first in over a decade, and I'm dying to read it, but since my Danish isn't even close to good enough for me to be able to understand more than the random sentence, I'd better wait for an English or Swedish translation.

Anyway, so happy to see that people are still reading Peter Hoeg! Are his other novels difficult to get hold of in the U.S.?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I usually buy from Amazon or BN, so I don't have much trouble geting what I want. I just checked for more of his titles and they have many, including Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep those titles in mind when I am on my next book buying spree.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    After reading the very weird A Scanner Darkly from my "lit chic" pile, I turned, as usual to my "mass market gal" pile (always a bigger pile) and have now read 3 in a row in Kate Collins' Flowershop Mysteries. They are coming out pretty fast and furious (seems to be 2 a year, I wonder if there is a thought of keeping it going or does the publisher/author have a specific end in mind.)

I'm on the 4th (and there is a new one coming out early next year) and may I say, I love them so much that I am here on the heavy literature page to let you all know that these books are great to turn to for a little fluff after a big, weighty read.

The first one is called Mum's the Word, followed by Slay it with Flowers, the third is Dearly Depotted and the most recent for now is Snipped in the Bud... so far they all take place one right after the other.

They are not grisly, nor truly suspenseful (you can be taken for the ride if you don't dig too deep while flying through the pages) but they are very, very funny. I like my crime/suspense/horror with a generous helping of funny. And the artwork on the covers makes me so happy. (Sorry, had a little "peeenk" moment there)

Just a thought!
    Last edited by VeronicaBelle27; 08-30-2006 at 03:02 PM.
    Could does not mean should

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    Wait -- there are TWO books about rival Victorian magicians? This is one separate from Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel?
    Well, yes, Miss Lucy, but I should clarify: The Prestige is more illusionist-type magic, whereas Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is fantastical magic. I haven't read the latter book yet (I did buy it, and plan on reading it soon), but the way I understand it, a good analogy would be Houdini versus Harry Potter.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

The Small House at Allington by Anthony Trollope
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Right now I'm reading Justice Hall by Laurie R. King its her take on Sherlock Holmes and his new Watson (Mary Russell)
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

Quote Originally Posted by Shaybo View Post
    Right now I'm reading Justice Hall by Laurie R. King its her take on Sherlock Holmes and his new Watson (Mary Russell)
    Cool! I adore King's Russell & Holmes series, but I haven't kept myself up to date on the newer releases. I need to get Justice Hall, Locked Rooms, and The Game.

If you enjoy Justice Hall, you may also want to read the latest effort from Laurie R. King, The Art of Detection. It features King's other detective, San Francisco P.D.'s Kate Martinellini, so it's very different from the Russell/Holmes series. Just as addictive, though, and this one moves into very similar territory as it deals with the murder of a die-hard Sherlockian and an old manuscript that just might be penned by the master of detection himself. The Art of Detection was a wonderful read; I recommend it to you and anyone else who's into Sherlock Holmes and/or Mary Russell.

I'm swamped with required reading at the moment, so I'm all about Heidegger and Adorno right now. I do feel the need to come up for air and read something more easily digestible when I find the time, though. Right now, my "fun" read is The Sinner by Tess Gerritsen, a chilling and cleverly plotted thriller about medical examiner Maura Isles. Dr Scarpetta, eat your heart out! Next in the fun pile: Peachtree Road by Anne Rivers Siddons. I first became acquainted with Ms Siddons when I read The House Next Door this summer, and while that one is a drastic departure from her usual themes - it's a scary but decidedly literary haunted house story - I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy her "regular" work as well. I'm a sucker for first sentences, and the first couple of sentences of Peachtree Road are just amazing: "The South killed Lucy Bondurant Chastain Venable on the day she was born. It just took her until now to die." It's a LONG read, though, so I'm afraid that once I pick it up, I won't be able to let it go until it's finished. Too bad I didn't pick it up in between semesters; this seems like the kind of novel you really want to dwell in. Ah well, that's being a student for you!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread