+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Just finished reading She's not there, by Jennifer Finney Boylan, formely known as James Finney Boylan. A well-written, sad and funny (and true) book about being transgendered and it's impact on family, friends and wife.

just finished reading cell by King-loved it!

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    I just picked up New Moon, Stephanie Meyer's sequel to Twilight. I'm about halfway through, and the story is just as engrossing as the first book. I may just be pulling an all-nighter to finish it, because I must know what happens!
    I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Oooh! Thanks for posting that, SEM! I need to go pick up a copy of New Moon this week! I miss seeing Stephenie around the FoRT, but I'm thrilled for her that she's doing so well!

I'm on a little break from Time and Chance to read Utz by Bruce Chatwin. It's about a man living in Prague under Communism and how he's torn between staying in Prague with his near-priceless porcelain collection (which the state is trying to get its hands on) and leaving for freedom in the West. My boss loaned it to me. It's a quick read and quite charming.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Well, Mrs. Meyer should have told us her new one was out! I'll have to go fetch myself a copy too.

On another note, has anyone gotten to Jasper Fforde's "Fourth Bear"? I missed getting an advance reading copy through work, but I'd love to hear a review.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    Well, Mrs. Meyer should have told us her new one was out! I'll have to go fetch myself a copy too.
    Yes, she should have! She should know we're forgetful! For some reason, I had it in my head that the release date was in September. I'll have to get a copy before the semester starts....and then reserve a whole day to read it all in one sitting!

On another note, has anyone gotten to Jasper Fforde's "Fourth Bear"? I missed getting an advance reading copy through work, but I'd love to hear a review.
    He's got another one out? I still haven't gotten to The Big Over Easy yet! I read about a page of it and just wasn't in the mood at the time. I'm sure I'll read it someday...
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

With one last precious weekend to go, I'm pretty much reading around the clock. (It sounds like I'm on death row or something! ) I want to be up to date with all things Harry Bosch by the time Connelly's latest Bosch novel, Echo Park, is released in September, so I'm still all about LAPD's smoking, brooding, jazz-digging black sheep. I did branch out a bit with The Poet, which kept me up way past my bed time. What a smooth, thrilling read. The elaborate plot twists just kept on coming, and as a big Poe fan, I loved the literary aspects of the novel. If you're a fan of well-written crime fiction, look no further.

I must admit, though, this all-crime diet is making me crave for something a little lighter. Hopefully, the latest effort from Marian Keyes, Anybody Out There? will hit the spot. I'm also in the mood for something big, epic, spellbinding with extraordinarily beautiful language. Literary yet addictive, that sort of thing. Preferably contemporary, but it's not a must. Any tips?

Oh, and I really need to read Twilight, don't I?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post

I've read it, Lucy. I was rather disappointed by it. It seemed like most of the attempts to be clever fell flat. The villain seemed initially like he would be compelling, but he turned out rather stale (that's a pun, as the villain is the Gingerbreadman ), and when we find out the motivations behind his actions, well...I just thought it would be something better.

Oooh, the sequel to Twilight is out. Must get that stat!
    Last edited by CCL; 08-24-2006 at 10:04 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

avy by martinique ANTM Mega Fan's Avatar
    I just finished 'The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank.' It was amazing! I got the book on Thursday night, and had it finished by Friday, all 260 pages. It was sooo good.
    "What it do, Shawty?"-Natasha Galkina

Since I love reading several novels by the same author back to back and really immerse myself in a new literary universe, I'm now all about Elizabeth Berg. I started off with acclaimed Oprah's Book Club pick Open House and adored it, and now I'm reading Never Change, a touching and very addictive read. To me, Elizabeth Berg reads like a slightly less literate (I don't mean that in a bad way) version of Anne Tyler. Like Tyler, she captures the essence of Everywoman (and Everyman) in a wonderful way; like Tyler, she is warm and funny and human and moving at the same time. I'm definitely going to read more from her. Has anyone read either The Year of Pleasures or We Are All Welcome Here? I took a sneak peak into the latter when I was out browsing for books today, and while I was very tempted, I decided to be a good girl and either make a reservation at the library or wait for the paperback.

Oh, and I also picked up two Anne Rivers Siddons paperbacks today: Peachtree Road and Low Country. I swear, I'm a middle-aged woman in a twentysomething body.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread