+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I loved, loved, loved loved loved that book! In fact, I'm a little jealous that you're reading it now. I hope you love it as much as did!
    I got it last night and I just finished it now. It's a quick read, but a great one.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    I loved, loved, loved loved loved that book! In fact, I'm a little jealous that you're reading it now. I hope you love it as much as did!
    I just finished The Curious Incident... after choosing it for my book club. It is an incredible book, isn't it?

I'm also halfway through Something Rotten by Fforde. I had forgotten how funny the Thursday Next books are. Thanks to FORT readers for reminding me!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I came across this and thought others might be interested in it....

http://www.dearreader.com/

to quote what they have listed on their home page..

Dear Reader,

I'm glad you stopped by DearReader.com. Sign up for any of my email book clubs and every day I'll send you a 5-minute sample from a book. By the end of the week, you'll have read 2-3 chapters. If it's a book you've just gotta finish, and I hope it is, visit your local library or your favorite bookstore and pick up a copy. Have fun.

Thanks for reading with me. It's so good to read with friends.

Suzanne Beecher
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I've just started Sharon Kay Penman's Time and Chance. It's the sequel to When Christ and His Saints Slept, which I read a few months ago. I really love historical fiction and Penman is one of the best. This one focuses on Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine and Thomas Becket.

With three weeks left until classes start, I'm getting really selective about what I read.

Hey geek! Did you see the movie version of The Namesake is coming out soon? I saw the preview last week and it actually looks pretty good. No one could come close to the beauty of Lahiri's writing, but I'm hoping it will still honor her story.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

About 200 pages into The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy. Why haven't I picked this up before? I started it yesterday and can't put it down........which will be a problem because I have to go back to work tomorrow (after a week off)!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Hey geek! Did you see the movie version of The Namesake is coming out soon? I saw the preview last week and it actually looks pretty good. No one could come close to the beauty of Lahiri's writing, but I'm hoping it will still honor her story.
    Cool! I'll keep my eyes open. With any luck, Lahiri's writing will be translated into the imagery. I think the cinematographers working on The English Patient were fairly successful in that regard. Any word on the casting?

With one measly week left until classes start, I'm enjoying my last week as a free woman. Continuing my Harry Bosch infatuation, I am reading The Last Coyote by Michael Connelly. I've also been re-reading old favourites in the crime genre, particularly Agatha Christie. Has anyone read By the Pricking of my Thumbs, a Tommy/Tuppence mystery with a Miss Marple cameo? It's much darker and more sinister than your average Christie, which is why I love it so much. Little old ladies disappearing, evil gangs, picturesque villages, poisoning, and witches... love it! Christie fans should also make an effort to find The Pale Horse, which deals with witch craft and the occult in a more consistent way, and also makes great use of the Weird Sisters in Macbeth, whereas the Shakespeare references in By the Pricking... begin and end with the title.

Speaking of queens of crime and picturesque little villages: Over the weekend, we went to the lovely little town of Nora, where Swedish crime novelist Maria Lang set many of her excellent "whodunnits" (owing, I expect, quite a lot to Dame Christie) back in the 1950's and 60's. Of course, being ever the book fiend, I had to pick up a first edition of one of her earlier works, and also pose next to her statue:

(This one's a bit blurry, but if you look carefully, I'm posing with the first edition novel I bought in a nearby antique shop.)

"There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Geek - You look simply beautiful! What a great picture for a bibliophile! Thanks for sharing with us.

I loved all of Connelly's Bosch books, but I think Angel's Flight is my favorite, probably because it dealt with an area of Los Angeles that I didn't know much about. I'm glad you're enjoying your time with Harry.

The cast list for The Namesake is here. The actor playing Gogol looked good in the preview I saw. I'm trying to get over the fact that he was in Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. Not that I didn't see the movie and enjoy it, but this is kind of a change of pace....not much of an understatement, huh?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Nice pic Geek the girl, you look great! Thanks for sharing .

As for "By the pricking of my thumbs", not only have I read it (although the version I read was titled "Something evil this way comes" for some strange reason ) but just last week I saw the excellent BBC rendering of the Tommy and Tuppence story with Miss Marple. This summer they've been showing an 8 episode BBC miniseries with Miss Marple cases, and I've been watching them faithfully every week, but I must admit the last two episodes they have shown, "Sleeping Murder" and "By the Pricking of my Thumbs", have been my favourite ones so far. BTOFT was specially good, albeit they did enhance Miss Marple's role quite a lot, from a cameo in the book version to a main role in the TV version, but I'm not complaining as it was a lot of fun to see Tuppence and Miss Marple interact .

Quote Originally Posted by swingkat View Post

As for "By the pricking of my thumbs", not only have I read it (although the version I read was titled "Something evil this way comes" for some strange reason ) but just last week I saw the excellent BBC rendering of the Tommy and Tuppence story with Miss Marple. This summer they've been showing an 8 episode BBC miniseries with Miss Marple cases, and I've been watching them faithfully every week, but I must admit the last two episodes they have shown, "Sleeping Murder" and "By the Pricking of my Thumbs", have been my favourite ones so far. BTOFT was specially good, albeit they did enhance Miss Marple's role quite a lot, from a cameo in the book version to a main role in the TV version, but I'm not complaining as it was a lot of fun to see Tuppence and Miss Marple interact .
    Too funny! I just saw the BBC version of By the Pricking of my Thumbs last week - hence the re-reading. I have to say, though, I was a bit disappointed. There were so many drastic changes - like you say, Miss Marple's role in the mystery was greatly enhanced, and I didn't like how they'd transformed Tuppence into a lush. She does enjoy the White Lady in the novel, but I don't recall Christie portraying her as an alcoholic at all. Still, I enjoyed watching it, but it made me pick up the original novel and marvel at just how much better it is.

Sleeping Murder is another one of my favourite Miss Marple mysteries. I would love to see how it translates to television.

Speaking of great Christie novels, here's another amazing, slightly underrated novel: Cat Among the Pigeons. It takes place at a boarding school for girls, and it's brilliantly well-plotted. While I'm at it, I may as well recommend yet another Christie novel that apparently was her own personal favourite - Crooked House. It contains one of the biggest surprises I can recall, right up there with the ending of And Then They Were None or Murder on the Orient Express.

Ah, to be curled up on the couch with a cup of strong, milky tea, a purring cat and an Agatha Christie novel. Pure bliss.

ETA: "Something wicked this way comes" is a quote from Macbeth and comes directly after the "By the pricking of my thumbs" line, so it's not that strange a title. It is strange, though, that there are two alternate titles out there.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Aaah, I love my Agathas. Unfortunately, I can never reread my favourite, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, because it is the only book I have ever read where I figured out whodunnit, so there is zero chance of me not remembering on a third read. I did read it a second time, but some of the pleasure was lost, not being able to try and untangle clues.

Right now I'm reading Piece of My Heart by Peter Robinson. It is, as are all his books, excellent.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread