+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    You're in for a treat - The Falls is one of Oates' best efforts in years. Epic, beautifully written, with excellent characterization. Definitely her best novel since Blonde. I'm the first to admit that Oates doesn't always deliver; it seems that the more books she puts out there, the more uneven she becomes. For each masterpiece, there are at least a few lacklustre efforts. So I was very pleasantly surprised to pick up The Falls. Let me know how you like it! Have you read any of her previous works?
    Thanks for the review! The only other Oates I've read is We Were the Mulvaneys, so I don't have much experience with her work. I'm looking forward to this one. As usual, the start of classes is looming and I still have a huge pile of books waiting to be read!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just finished Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. I'm not quite sure what to make of this book yet, but it definitely is very beautifully written.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Quote Originally Posted by haejin View Post
    I just finished Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. I'm not quite sure what to make of this book yet, but it definitely is very beautifully written.
    Oooh, you just finished one of my all-time favourite novels! I agree: it's beautifully written, and I love the lingering sadness of it. Was this your first Murakami novel? If you feel like reading something else by him, I highly recommend either Sputnik Sweetheart or Kafka on the Shore. They are more "out there" and surreal than Norwegian Wood, which is more of a simple love story really, but the language is equally beautiful. You can't go wrong with Murakami, really.

As for me, I started The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank last night. It is a moving and funny peek into 20 years of a woman's life. Like she did in her first novel, 1999's The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing, Bank divides her story into a handful of seemingly random episodes that, when combined, gives you the bigger picture. It reads as chick lit with depth, or a more realistic Sex and the City.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I just finished "The Secret Life of Bees" and really enjoyed it. It is a quick read.

Twilight

I just finished reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. I can't wait for the sequel.

The Curious incident of the dog in the night-time, Mark Haddon. The narrator is an autistic boy, 15 years, 3 months and 2 days old. His neighbors dog is dead and he tries to find out who killed it. It's all seen through the eyes of autism. Hilarious and enlightening.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    I'm reading [I]Always Time To Die[I] by Elizabeth Lowell. Real interesting.

CCL
    The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde. It was supposed to come out in July and I've been waiting on pins and needles! (By the way Fforde ffans, note at the back of the book indicates that the next Thursday Next book will be out in July 2007).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I'm on a trashy memoir streak...

Just read:
    But Enough About Me... by Jancee Dunn
    Tabloid Love by Bridget Harrison

And now I'm reading:
    Candy Girl by Diablo Cody

The first two were well written and funny.

This last one (Candy Girl) starts off horribly--in the "it was a dark and stormy night" vein and I could barely get through the first few pages. But I was bored and had read everything else...it's OK, so far. Not sure I'd recommend it. The first two are good beach reads. Check them out at your library. You don't need to keep those in your home library!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    The Curious incident of the dog in the night-time, Mark Haddon. The narrator is an autistic boy, 15 years, 3 months and 2 days old. His neighbors dog is dead and he tries to find out who killed it. It's all seen through the eyes of autism. Hilarious and enlightening.
    I loved, loved, loved loved loved that book! In fact, I'm a little jealous that you're reading it now. I hope you love it as much as did!

+ Reply to Thread