+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Best defenceman ever canadian_d's Avatar
    I'm currently reading "Something Blue" by Emily Giffin. It's a sequel to the book, "Something Borrowed". They are both excellent books.... I definitely recommend them to those who are interested in "chick-lit" type of book.
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from indomitable will."

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57 View Post
    I'm reading the Glass Castle and really enjoying it, although there are parts of it that you can hardly believe. Read Middlesex a few years ago. . . .be ready for a wild ride. I've never read a book quite like this one (and hang in there at the beginning when it seems boring).
    I haven't gotten very far in Middlesex, but I don't think it's boring. So if it gets better, then it will be really, really great!

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale View Post
    I haven't gotten very far in Middlesex, but I don't think it's boring. So if it gets better, then it will be really, really great!
    I didn't think any part of it was boring either, FF I loved it.

I'm about 60 pages into Emma Donoghue's Life Mask. It's taking a little while to get into but I'm definitely going to stick with it. It's very well written and I loved Slammerkin, so I know this will turn out to be a satisfying read as well
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Over the Wine Dark Sea by H. N. Turteltaub
    It's about 2 traders from Rhodes in 310 BC and their sea voyager through Asia Minor to the coast of Italy.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I just bought Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle.

Annie Proulx

I am almost through That Old Ace in the Hole by Annie Proulx (author of The Shipping News, Brokeback Mountain, et. al.)

It is a finely written, very satisfying piece of American literature.

Some people go for "lite" summer reading, but I like a book that has some meat on its bones and takes longer than a day to finish. It is an entertaining, pleasant read, but has substance. I think she did a lot of research, almost like a cultural anthropologist, before she started writing the novel.

FORT Newbie
    im reading Black creek crossing by John Saul right now, a friend got me starting reading his books and now im hooked!:

I'm currently reading "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote, of whom I had actually only read "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "A Christmas Memory" a long time ago. I'm fully appreciating why this book is considered a masterpiece of the true crime genre.

I've just read "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold, which I thought was a wonderful book and with one of the best opening paragraphs I've read in a long time. It begins with "My name was Salmon, like the fish: first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973." . The story, about one of the most horrific events a family can encounter, I thought was really touching.

My summer reading has also included "Tara Road" by Maeve Binchy, whom I had never read before and found while raiding the shelfs in our wonderful local library. I liked it well enough that I have now checked out another book by her, "The Glass Lake" which I intend to read after "In Cold Blood". Quite a big change of pace, I can imagine, but I thought Tara Road was a nice, kind of fluffy book, perfect for summer. But the ultimate piece of fluff for this summer, which I got as a birthday present and have been saving for the two days long trip which flying to my homeland requires, is "The Devil Wears Prada", by Lauren Weisberger. I've heard that the eponymous movie is better than the book, but I'm okay with that, as reading in airplanes and airports is for me not the most relaxing of circumstances and I can't concentrate too much on what I'm reading.

Quote Originally Posted by swingkat View Post
    But the ultimate piece of fluff for this summer, which I got as a birthday present and have been saving for the two days long trip which flying to my homeland requires, is "The Devil Wears Prada", by Lauren Weisberger. I've heard that the eponymous movie is better than the book, but I'm okay with that, as reading in airplanes and airports is for me not the most relaxing of circumstances and I can't concentrate too much on what I'm reading.
    I haven't seen the movie, so i can't compare, but I really enjoyed the book as what it is: a breezy entertaining book.

I just read the Glass Castle and, as many said, it is a must read. Beautifully written. You can totally sense that the author still loves her parents, whatever their defaults are (and boy do they have some).

Thanks Desert Rose! I'm glad to read you liked it, and I hope I like it as well. I really need something fun and light to take my mind off airplanes and long hours sitting on a plane, so I hope The Devil Wears Prada does the trick.

+ Reply to Thread