+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

The Da Vinci Code!!!

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post

When I finish with this I'm thinking of reading Ulysses. Anyone else tacked it?
    I read a few chapters of it for a lit class a few years back. I'm semi-ashamed to admit that I haven't read the entire thing. It's... challenging. Totally worth the effort, though; it really is a brilliant piece of literature. Tread carefully with a few chapters at a time, and you'll be fine. The last 30+ pages, as you may know, lack punctuation. It took me a while to get into the rhythm of it.

Speaking of Joyce - has anyone read Finnigan's Wake? I intend to one of these days, when I'm feeling particularly ambitious. I'll be lucky if I've read two pages of it when I'm in my sixties.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    Terri the truth by Michael Schiavo

I had to balance it out since I read the book the other side put out also.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I haven't read in what feels like ages and I totally missed it. So I bought 2 books.
    Currently reading The Devil Wears Prada. It's an enjoying summer read.
    Waiting for Glass Castle: A memoir to be delivered. A couple of people mentionned it's great and it's Emily's pick (from Indigo), so I bought it.

I have just started reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I enjoyed The Virgin Suicides so I hope that this is good as well. I know that some of you FORTers out there have enjoyed it by looking through the threads here.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Speaking of Joyce - has anyone read Finnigan's Wake? I intend to one of these days, when I'm feeling particularly ambitious. I'll be lucky if I've read two pages of it when I'm in my sixties.
    I've made nominal attempts to read Finnigan's Wake, Ulysses and Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. The attempts were nominal because I really didn't enjoy trying to slog through Joyce's stream of consciousness and the only reason I would have had to actually finish them would be to tell people that I had, and that's really not me. I did get to within twenty pages of the end of War and Peace, though. I just couldn't get that last bite down .

Right now I'm reading The Virgin Spy, a collection of short stories by Krista Bridge, and not enjoying it at all. Unfortunately I don't have the education to explain exactly why I'm not enjoying it, so all I can say is it is a collection of tales of pointless non-events in the lives of protagonists whom I wouldn't like if I knew them. However, it is reminding me of why I tend to avoid short-story collections (love Raymond Carver, though).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Regular
    I'm reading the Glass Castle and really enjoying it, although there are parts of it that you can hardly believe. Read Middlesex a few years ago. . . .be ready for a wild ride. I've never read a book quite like this one (and hang in there at the beginning when it seems boring).

I'm reading A Simple Plan by Scott Smith. It actually is one of those "can't put down" books (they often say that, but often are wrong). I think this may be the first time I've seen the movie before I read the book, and it's a slightly disorienting experience as I keep picturing Billy Bob when the Jacob in the book doesn't resemble Billy Bob in the slightest.

Oh, tell a lie - I saw Jaws before I read the book. Great movie, awful book, really easy to disconnect the two.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

It's summer, I'm reading summer books. Just finished "Where is Joe Merchant", by the wonderful singer, not terribly great author Jimmy Buffett. It doesn't get more summery than that.

And yes, I'm duly embarrassed.

Why are you embarrassed, John? I have read that every summer for years now, my summers aren't complete without a dose of Frank Bama, Trevor and Desdemona. Of course, I have no shame when it comes to Jimmy.

I just finished "Twilight" for about the 12th time since I got it. I read it twice just this week. It sucks me into a place I never want to leave, and I can't help but go back to it again and again, although I know it almost word for word at this point.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

+ Reply to Thread