+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Regular
    I'm reading The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty, just finished Marley and Me, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, A Year of Wonders, and The Devil Wears Prada.

Back to Anthony Trollope - now reading Dr. Thorne
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I just finished The Devil Wears Prada, 3 Harlequin Blaze books (they're spicy!) and I'm now on to Blue Smoke by Nora Roberts - we'll have to compare notes Kel
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I've been reading up a storm lately. Here are my most recent reads and a brief review:

- Veronica by Mary Gaitskill

I picked this up on a whim from the library and boy, am I glad. This is a beautifully written novel that mainly takes place in New York during the 80's, dealing with - among other things - the modelling industry, AIDS, decadence, and self-loathing. Mary Gaitskill was nominated for several prestigious awards for Veronica, and quite rightly so. Make sure to read this. It still lingers with me even though I finished it over a week ago. Has anyone read this, or anything else by Mary Gaitskill? I'll definitely check out her back catalogue. Two Girls, Fat and Thin is supposed to be brilliant as well.

- The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

This is the epitome of a feel good novel. Light, pleasant, and funny, this is bound to put a huge smile on your face. For those of you who - like me - are already big fans of Jane Austen, this novel makes you want to re-read her novels. If you have yet to read a Jane Austen novel (congratulations! You have many wonderful stories and characters ahead of you), this will most definitely make you want to explore her work.

- The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

Another winner from the fabulous Ms Picoult, who so brilliantly puts complex ethical dilemmas into a page-turner context. I must admit, this novel shocked the hell out of me. It wasn't too long ago since I was a teenager myself, but some of the descriptions of what today's kids are supposedly up to made me feel like an old prude. The Tenth Circle is the story of the Stone family and deals with date rape, vengeance, and the futility of erasing one's past. Apart from being impossible to put down, it is also a literary experiment of sorts - since Daniel Stone, the father and main character of the story, is a comic book artist, his graphic novel named - yep! - The Tenth Circle is included in the novel. Very cool and innovative.

- Body Double by Tess Gerritsen

All I can say it this: Patricia Cornwell, eat your heart out! Gerritsen may not be the best writer around, style-wise (I found her tendency to cut her sentences into short, choppy fragments really tedious), but she sure knows how to spin a yarn. Great scary, gory fun. If you miss the chilling horror of the early Cornwell novels, look no further.

Coincidentally enough, I, too am reading a Nora Roberts novel at the moment - Divine Evil. I don't think it's a very typical Nora Roberts novel: it deals with ritualistic murders in smalltown Maryland, with a subplot involving an intense love affair. Or is it the other way around? In any case, I'm enjoying it. It's nice to take a break from all the serious novels I have to read during the academic year and kick back with something easily digestible instead.

Next in line: Come Closer by Sara Gran. Anyone here who's read it?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Right now I am in the middle of Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I find it more interesting then The Da Vinchi code, much more connections to the religious symbols.

MRD
    I just finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife, Marley and Me and Twelve Sharp (the Stephanie Plum bounty hunter series)

Enjoyed all of them.

Also found a hilarious collection of short stories by Susan Reinhardt called:
    Not tonight honey, wait until I'm a size 6.

Thought I would fall out of bed laughing at this book.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I just finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife, Marley and Me and Twelve Sharp (the Stephanie Plum bounty hunter series)
    Were you crying at the end of "Marley and Me"? Oh, when the dog got older... I liked it a lot.

I just finished reading "Tabloid Love" by Bridget Harrison. It was true to the blurbs--a combo of "Sex and the City" and "Bridget Jones's Diary." It was a fun, breezy read.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post
    I just finished The Devil Wears Prada
    I really enjoyed the book! I didn't think the movie was as entertaining as the book. Sigh--they rarely are...

I'm reading Nobody Was Here and The Da Vinci Code.

I finished Come Closer by Sara Gran in one sitting. Extremely creepy - the kind of novel that crawls under your skin. I liked the taut, understated prose, and the scary simplicity of the story.

It's too damn hot to take on anything too challenging, so I've got a couple of Joy Fielding novels lined up. Whenever I pick up a Joy Fielding, I have a hard time putting it down until I've read the entire thing. That's page-turner for you.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

giz
    I've been toying with the idea of taking an Introduction to Judaism class for years, and am now on two synagogues lists' for the autumn. To get a head start I'm reading The Idiot's Guide to Judaism. It's very thought-provoking and is doing a good job of challenging my agnosticism. It'll be a while before I know if I want to convert, but it's going to be an interesting road. (Convert seems a funny word to use as I was raised without faith, but my family is nominally Anglican. My sister "converted" to Judaism about 25 years ago though, so I've got some idea of the process).

When I finish with this I'm thinking of reading Ulysses. Anyone else tacked it?

+ Reply to Thread