+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Newbie
    I have just started reading Storm Front by Jim Butcher. It is a really good book. I have also read all of Laurell K Hamilton's vampire and faery series. I have not however read Davinci Code.

FORT Newbie
    I'm reading this book, The Mind of the Modern Moviemaker - 20 conversation with the new generation of filmmakers, but Josh Horowitz. It just came out in 2006 and is a collection of interviews with up and coming directors, including some really cool guys like Kevin Smith, Trey Parker, and Matt Stone. If you haven't seen this book yet, I would recommend it. It's an easy read and gives you an opportunity to get to know these artists a little bit as individuals. I've found it pretty fascinating to see how so many of these talented people have come up from such humble beginnings, how many of them basically say "When I started that film I had no idea what I was doing." It's actually quite encouraging to see that they're not gods, but normal people who had to leap some major obstacles (often surprisingly fast) to get the jobs they've had. Check it out.

I'll be finishing up A Tree Grows in Brooklyn today and ready to begin a new book. I visited my local library Thursday and checked out a few books. I also bought 3 from the sale table. Anyone read any of these and can give me a recommendation on which book to read next?

Bought the following:
    Bel Canto by Ann Patchett, Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser and Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve.

Borrowed: Digging to America by Anne Tyler, a true crime book titled Poisoned Love by Caitlin Rother and The Virgin of Small Plains by Nancy Picard.

I'm re-reading 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I've always been a sucker (ha ha) for vampire books, and there aren't many better than this one.

It's been so long since I read it that I'd actually forgotten I'd read it. King did a short story called Jerusalem's Lot, and then built that into this novel (his second, after Carrie). I'd thought I'd read the short story, but now that I'm a good 450 pages into it, I know that this is the one I've actually read.

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar
    I'm reading The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan, The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl.

I am reading: A First Year Teacher's Guidebook: An Educational Recipe for Success by Bonnie Williamson
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I am reading or looking through 1000 Places to See Before You Die. I am trying to get some good ideas for my next vacation.

Well, I finished The Poe Shadow over the weekend and can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who's in the mood for some literate historical fiction with a thriller twist. I loved how well-read Matthew Pearl comes across, and as a major Poe fan, I was happy to see how well he managed to incorporate actual facts into a fictional environment. Reading it really made me want to revisit one of the corner stones of my book collection, The Complete Tales of Edgar Allan Poe, especially the ones involving Dupin since there's an interesting plot line that deals with the real identity of Poe's famous detective.

All in all, intriguing, highly literate and suspenseful stuff.

Since this weekend was a particularly rainy one, I also started and finished another novel, The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons. Has anyone read it? It was released back in the late 1970's and I picked it up after having read Stephen King's Danse Macabre, which spends nearly 20 pages gushing over it. It is a modern-day haunted house story with a distinct Southern Gothic feel. Very enjoyable and well-written. I couldn't put it down. I particularly like the fact that the haunted house in a brand new house, as opposed to the classic ancient mansions you usually come across within the genre.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I read The House Next Door about 6 years ago, geek. It was a bit different than Siddons' usual writing as far as plot. I enjoyed it, too. I think I've read just about all of the books Siddons has written.

I've also read The House Next Door, Geek. It and Fox's Earth are apparently the only two Anne Rivers Siddons books that I don't hate, unlike some people who posted a couple of pages back. I read both of them years ago, but picked them up again at a charity book sale recently and plan to spend some time with them on my deck later this summer.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread