+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree216Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    geek, is On Beauty a modern re-write of Howard's End? I'm a big fan of Forster.
    Not exactly a re-write. More like a subtle homage: Zadie Smith claims to have written the novel with Howard's End in mind. I think the comparisons will be more apparent towards the end of the story.

Actually, On Beauty has really grown on me - I've read about a hundred more pages since my last post and now the characters feel more vivid and I actually feel invested in the story. I'll get back with a more extensive review once I'm done. By then, I'll probably be able to elaborate more on the Forster comparisons.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by rattus
    ...I'm just about finished My cat Spit McGee by Willie Morris, the author of My Dog Skip. I enjoy nothing more than reading about the journey from ailurophobe to ailurophile...
    If it's about a CAT I might read that one. I just have to look up the other big words you used.

I'm just now starting The Da Vinci Code. That's right. I can read. I don't do it often, but I do try.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

AJane, about the On Beauty/Howard's End parallels: I feel like someone should take my English lit credits away from me, because it took me a long time to figure out that part of the novel's opening line ("One may as well begin with Jerome's emails to his father") is a direct quote from Howard's End. If you're a big Forster fan and feel like catching up on some contemporary British literature and see how it incorporates the classics into modern settings, I'd definitely recommend On Beauty. Despite my initial reservations (which had a lot to do with the fact that I never got the appeal of her two earlier novels), I ended up liking it, although I didn't love it.

Here's what I'll be reading next:

From Amazon.com:

"Fans of Pearl's bestselling debut, The Dante Club (2003), will eagerly embrace his second novel, a compelling thriller centered on the mysterious end of Edgar Allan Poe, who perished in Baltimore in 1849. Poe's ignominious funeral catches the notice of Quentin Clark, a young, idealistic attorney, who finds himself obsessed with rescuing Poe's reputation amid rumors that the writer died from an excess of drink. Clark's preoccupation soon becomes all-consuming, imperiling his practice and his engagement, especially after he learns that Poe's legendary master sleuth, the Chevalier Auguste Dupin, was modeled after a real person. The lawyer journeys to France to track down the real Dupin, in the hopes that the detective can help him solve the puzzle of Poe's death. Pearl masterfully combines fact with fiction and presents some genuinely new historical clues that help reconstruct Poe's final days. While Clark remains a little enigmatic, the exciting plot, numerous twists and convincing period detail could help land this on bestseller lists as well."

I adore literary suspense novels just as much as I adore Edgar Allan Poe. Add to that how much I enjoyed The Dante Club, and I'm fairly confident that I'll love this. Does anyone else plan on reading it this summer? I always steer Dan Brown fans towards Matthew Pearl since he, unlike his colleague, actually manages to be entertaining, literate, and enlightening at the same time.

Cool. No question in my mind that The Dante Club was head and shoulders above Dan Brown's work. I better go and put a reservation on that Matthew Pearl book, and for On Beauty too. I should stay off the computer and start reading more...I FINALLY got my hands on The Year of Magical Thinking this week (I was 38th on the list ).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I FINALLY got my hands on The Year of Magical Thinking this week (I was 38th on the list ).
    38th? That's insane! Believe me, it's worth the wait. I loved that book. So honest and profound and human. Despite being completely autobiographical, it reads like a novel, which is meant to be a compliment. Let me know how you like it.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    I just started Eden, Ohio last night and I had to put it down for a while. It was just a tad gruesome to read right before sleeping. I'll finish it tonight after work.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    38th? That's insane!
    Ha! I'm currently at number 345 for Piece of my Heart and 299 for The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Anyway, just finished The Sociopath Next Door which was most useful in helping me diagnose one particular parent's and one particular co-worker's particular malfunctions. I'm now reading Barbara Vine's The Blood Doctor, which was a little slow-going to start, but I am now really enjoying it. And the fact that it's taking me a bit of time to go through, which is probably partly due to the fact that it's summer and I have other things to do, is a bit of a blessing at the moment since I seem to end up waiting for at least 200 people to finish reading something I want before it comes to me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Carolyn Parkhurst-"Lost and Found"

So many pages to look through--so, if someone has mentioned this, I apologize...but since this is the Fans of Reality TV message board, I think some of you might like the new Carolyn Parkhurst novel, "Lost & Found."

I noticed that someone put Carolyn's previous novel, "The Dogs of Babel" on the "read anything atrocious" thread from two years ago (where a couple of people listed Nick Hornby's "High Fidelity"--to my astonishment, but then I've heard that it's a "guy" thing...so, maybe that's it...) I haven't read "The Dogs of Babel" yet...but I have just finished "Lost & Found" and if you're a TAR or Treasure Hunters fan...you might consider it as light summer faire...

Here's a review from Booklist:
    *Starred Review* Parkhurst's lauded debut, The Dogs of Babel (2003), which centered on a man struggling to come to terms with the death of his young wife, struck a chord with readers, and her follow-up, a humorous and touching send-up of reality shows, is bound to please as well. The novel focuses on several characters competing on an Amazing Race-like reality show called Lost and Found, where teams of two travel from destination to destination following enigmatic clues and collecting various items in hopes of winning the game. Laura wants to connect with her sullen teenage daughter, Cassie, after a traumatic experience highlighted the distance between them. Justin and Abby believe they have cast off their homosexual urges in favor of a traditional Christian marriage, but the game offers unexpected tests for their resolution. Carl and Jeff are two middle-aged, recently divorced brothers looking for adventure. Juliet and Dallas are former child stars seeking to recapture fame and willing to do just about anything to achieve that end. Emotional confrontations, suppressed desires, and unexpected connections surprise the various contestants as they continue to play a game that is starting to disgust them. Thoroughly original and inventive, peopled with engaging characters, and just plain fun, this second novel deserves to be as big a hit as the reality shows it genially pokes fun at.
    I breezed through it...and loved some familiar territory. It's not high drama or weighty literature...but for fans of reality tv, it was good summer reading fun.

pg--seattle

(...I'm now reading "Jpod" by Douglas Coupland--but I'm a fan...)

I just finished reading a book by Dean Koontz called Velocity. It was good. I like those types of books...

I'm also reading The Da Vinci Code. I'm on chapter four or something like that, and it's really capturing my attention.

+ Reply to Thread