+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome View Post
    For one of my other book clubs I read Cold Comfort Farm which makes fun of her books and it was very amusing.
    Another great book. Have you seen the movie starring Kate Beckingsale? It's really good, and if you can believe it, the name Kate Beckingsale actually guaranteed that you were in for a great cinematic experience once upon a time. (Pre-Underworld, that is.)

I just started reading Light on Snow by Anita Shreve. It is my first novel by Shreve, but I'm sure it won't be my last. Beautiful language and captivating story. She reminds me a bit of Alice Hoffman and Sue Monk Kidd, both of whom I adore. Light, pleasant reading that lingers with you long after you've finished reading. I'm all for approachable novels that still maintain a high literary quality.

Any Anita Shreve fans out there who can tell me what to read next?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

GTG, I wouldn't call myself an Anita Shreve fan as I've only read two of her books, but Fortune's Rocks was simply wonderful.
    Wag more, bark less

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Another great book. Have you seen the movie starring Kate Beckingsale? It's really good, and if you can believe it, the name Kate Beckingsale actually guaranteed that you were in for a great cinematic experience once upon a time. (Pre-Underworld, that is.)
    OMG, geek! I love that movie! My mother and I used to say, "I saw something nasty in the wood shed" all the time! Or, "There's no butter in HELL!" SUch a great cast too - you can't go wrong with Rufus Sewell

I just started reading Light on Snow by Anita Shreve. It is my first novel by Shreve, but I'm sure it won't be my last. Beautiful language and captivating story. She reminds me a bit of Alice Hoffman and Sue Monk Kidd, both of whom I adore. Light, pleasant reading that lingers with you long after you've finished reading. I'm all for approachable novels that still maintain a high literary quality.

I've read quite a few by Anita Shreve, but I actually got tired of her. She tends to write these slightly gothic, always tragic tales that, while written beautifully, end up depressing the hell out of me! I do remember enjoying Beach Glass and The Last Time They Met just ripped my heart out.

I have one more paper to finish and then I can start on my summer reading!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    OMG, geek! I love that movie! My mother and I used to say, "I saw something nasty in the wood shed" all the time! Or, "There's no butter in HELL!" SUch a great cast too - you can't go wrong with Rufus Sewell
    Ah yes, "I saw something nasty in the wood shed"! I love that line. It's been ages since I saw the movie, but I remember seeing it with my mother and we both loved it. Was Cold Comfort Farm the only novel Stella Gibbons wrote, by the way? Seeing how much I loved the movie, and that I was a P.G. Wodehouse fanatic in my teens, I think I'd rather enjoy reading something by her. I seem to recall having read something about it being her first and only novel, though.

I've read quite a few by Anita Shreve, but I actually got tired of her. She tends to write these slightly gothic, always tragic tales that, while written beautifully, end up depressing the hell out of me! I do remember enjoying Beach Glass and The Last Time They Met just ripped my heart out.
    Is there something wrong with that? Most books I like are slightly Gothic, beautifully written and depress the hell out of me, so I feel very encouraged to pursue Anita Shreve's body of work.

I have one more paper to finish and then I can start on my summer reading!
    Yay for us! There's nothing quite as luxurious to a bibliophile as having the freedom to read whatever you feel like, is there? I finished a 30+ page paper last night so I'm off to the bookstore tomorrow to celebrate. Perhaps we should revive the "What's on your summer reading list?" thread I created last summer? I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'd like to read - some classics I never got round to reading, some great contemporary stuff, some crime, some horror, some non-fiction - but recommendations are always welcome.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I just finished reading "Map of Bones", by James Rollins. I picked this up in the airport to read last weekend, and it's a REALLY good book. Think The DaVinci Code, but without the suckitude and weak plot.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post

Try "The Weight of Water" (I think it's called). They made it into a movie which I never saw. LOVED the book though.
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

I am currently reading 3 books:

The Warden by Anthony Trollope
    Peter, Paul and Mary Magdalene: the Followers of Jesus in History and Legend by Bart D. Ehrman
    Not George Washington: An Autobiographical Novel by P.G. Wodehouse
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I've started "The Thieves of Heaven" by Richard Doetsch. Not nearly as good as the last book I read, but I do enjoy this kind of book. I'm a sucker for them.

giz
    How are you finding Trollope? I've got to wait for a quieter period to read Trollope again, I think. There are so many characters, I get confused. Though I"m smarter now than the last time I tried, so maybe it will work for me now!

I'm going to see one of my favourite chic-lit writers tomorrow. The Irish writer, Marian Keyes is coming to town and I'm going with some female friends to see it. Should be fun. I don't get out much for "fun", in fact am not even sure if I enjoy fun, but I think I"ll enjoy this.

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    How are you finding Trollope? I've got to wait for a quieter period to read Trollope again, I think. There are so many characters, I get confused. Though I"m smarter now than the last time I tried, so maybe it will work for me now!
    I am about halfway through the Warden. I don't know what made me decide to pick it up. I do remember that I read the Palliser series many years ago (and saw the tv series) and enjoyed it. I don't remember if I have ever read the whole Barchester Towers series. The Warden probably is not the best of the series, but I wouldn't read a series without starting at the beginning. I am enjoying it. I find the subject matter interesting (in the Warden it is church reform to put it simplistically) and I like the way Trollope writes. After some of the books I have read lately, it is nice to read someone who writes in such a straightforward manner.
    So far there are only a handful of characters, and their personalities are well defined so it is easy to keep track of them.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

+ Reply to Thread