+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I am currently reading about 15 books

Seriously I am going to have a lot to post about when I get home.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I'm reading:

Love Wild and Fair - Bertrice Small - good but frustrating so far.
    The Third Victim - Lisa Gardner
    The Innocent - Bertrice Small - it's a little boring
    A Robert Caris novel - I can't even remember the name - that's not a good sign.

The General in His Labyrinth by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

A novel about the last days of Simon Bolivar. After 20 years spent driving Spanish forces from South America, his dream of seeing the former colonies united, driven from power, worn out by war, feeling old and ill, Bolivar takes a seven month's voyage down the Magdalena River and reflects upon his life.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I told you I'm on a trend. I'm reading The Templar Legacy now.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I've been reading mysteries by author John MacLachlan Gray. The first is The Fiend In Human, and the second one is White Stone Day. Murder mysteries set in Victorian England, we follow the exploits of what was probably one of the first investigative journalists in history, Edmund Whitty. The author takes you right back in time to the filth the poverty and decadence that existed at this time. It certainly made me appreaciate the beneifits of living in this time period---no kidding, comparativly speaking, things are much better these days.

My friends who introduced me to the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin just dropped off the latest book to me: A Feast for Crows.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I am reading Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austin. I loved the movie that just came out and decided to give the book a go. I absolutely love this book and the story. Books are usually better than the movies and this one has not let me down.

I loved the movie that just came out too, Yardgnome! Matthew MacFayden made a delicious Mr. Darcy (in the great tradition of Colin Firth, of course). Funny, though, that the big line, "You have bewitched me body and soul" is nowhere in the book, at least not that I recall (I may need ginko biloba?). Glad to hear you are enjoying reading it.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Ah, P&P! One of my all-time favourites! Snowy, I don't remember the line "You have bewitched me body and soul" from the book either, although seeing that it's been a while since I read it, I can't swear it's not there. I love the opening sentence, though: as some of you may know, I tend to judge a book not by its cover but by its first sentence, and this is a kick-ass first sentence: "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." I memorized the whole thing, but being ever the OCD poster child, I had to go to my bookshelf for some consulting.

Yardgnome, have you read any of Jane Austen's other novels? If not, I highly recommend them. They're all fab, but Emma and Sense and Sensibility are probably my favourites along with Pride and Prejudice. You may also enjoy some of her less well-known works such as Mansfield Park, Persuasion (which is slightly darker than her other novels but very good), and Northanger Abbey, a playful take on the Gothic novel.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Yardgnome, have you read any of Jane Austen's other novels? If not, I highly recommend them. They're all fab, but Emma and Sense and Sensibility are probably my favourites along with Pride and Prejudice. You may also enjoy some of her less well-known works such as Mansfield Park, Persuasion (which is slightly darker than her other novels but very good), and Northanger Abbey, a playful take on the Gothic novel.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have never read any of her stuff before. I finished Pride & Prejudice last night and I was so sad it was over, I wanted more. I am going to definitely give some of her other stuff a try.

For one of my other book clubs I read Cold Comfort Farm which makes fun of her books and it was very amusing.

+ Reply to Thread