+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Vices of My Blood by Maureen Jennings
    In late 19th Century Toronto a Presbyterian minister is brutally murdered in his office. Detective Murdoch (a Catholic) is in charge of the investigation. It looks like a burglar committed the crime, but the minister, as a volunter for the House of Industry, was responsible for visiting the homes of people who applied for charitable relief and decding which of those were deserving of assistance. Perhaps the murder was an act of revenge.

As a bit of light relief I am also reading Inside Out- A Personal History of Pink Floyd by Nick Mason.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I checked out two books from the library, both by Tim Dorsey, one of my favorite authors. The first book, The Big Bamboo, is his latest novel, but I wasn't too crazy about it after reading the first chapter, so I stopped. The second book, Hammerhead Ranch Motel, is the second book he ever wrote, and it's in the style that I became accustomed to after reading two of his other novels. It's freaking hilarious- I started reading it this afternoon and I'm almost halfway done. His books are generally a quick read.

I just started The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death by John Kelly. Not exactly light reading, but I've always been morbidly fascinated with the Black Death, so I'm loving it. I just bought Millard Meiss' Painting in Florence and Siena After the Black Death and I'll be starting that in the next day or two. I'm writing a paper on the effects of the Black Death on 14th century Italian painting and this book is part of my research. The fact that I'm reading the Kelly book is just a happy coincidence

As soon as school is finished, I plan on making my way through an enormous pile of books. I can't wait!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey
    I just finished a fiction book called "LAST TO KNOW." It was a fluffy whodunnit that I picked up in my laundromat's book swap. It was only so-so, but it was entertaining at times.

I'm about to start "ORDEAL BY HUNGER," a book about the Donner Party. What a party.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    As soon as school is finished, I plan on making my way through an enormous pile of books. I can't wait!
    WOW, school's almost out??? Maybe this will be the summer of "LEVIATHAN," huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post
    WOW, school's almost out??? Maybe this will be the summer of "LEVIATHAN," huh?
    Yeah, probably not. I think the summer of Leviathan will be in Hell! Too much good stuff to read to waste time on re-reading Hobbes!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

In Cold Blood (again)

cannot put it down.

AWESOME

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    The Last Templar. I guess I'm on a trend since I just finished The DaVinci Code for the second time.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I'm halfway through The Man of my Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld, author of the critically acclaimed Prep. A coming-of-age story of sorts, it portrays a shy, awkward girl's life from her early teens into adulthood. It's such an intense reading experience for me, because I swear to God, the main character is me, or rather the person I used to be in my teens. Quite traumatic, really, but Sittenfeld's prose is incredibly enjoyable and playful and although the book is written in the third person, I feel like I'm inside Hannah's head most of the time. The first chapter, which partly deals with Julia Roberts' engagement to Kiefer Sutherland back in 1993 (which I followed closely, I must admit, which makes me identify even more with Hannah, who reads everything about the upcoming wedding religiously and, since she's come to view them as the epitome of happiness, the complete opposite her parents' miserable marriage, is devastated when the wedding is called off) is pure popcultural genius. I thoroughly recommend The Man of my Dreamsto anyone who read and enjoyed Prep, and to anyone who spent their high school years waiting for your life to begin.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Chakos::Linkletter::Epley breezez_air's Avatar
    I was reading The Da Vinci Code- until I left it on the train somewhere about a week ago. I WAS ABOUT 60 PAGES FROM THE END!
    I don't wanna get fat like you
    Don't even believe in the F Word...FAT
    ...Perhaps you meant PEE AYTCH AY TEE
    Yeah...I did
    - Stacy Ann and Whitney- ANTM 10

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysluggo View Post
    I checked out two books from the library, both by Tim Dorsey, one of my favorite authors. The first book, The Big Bamboo, is his latest novel, but I wasn't too crazy about it after reading the first chapter, so I stopped. The second book, Hammerhead Ranch Motel, is the second book he ever wrote, and it's in the style that I became accustomed to after reading two of his other novels. It's freaking hilarious- I started reading it this afternoon and I'm almost halfway done. His books are generally a quick read.

His books are GREAT!!!! I have loved them all. And what's been fascinating for me is that I lived in Tampa for a while so a lot of the places he talks about are places I know.
    LOVE Serge. He's a scream!

Anyone read the books by Randy Wayne White? They are about a marine biologist in Sanibel Island, FL who also solves mysteries? Those are all good books too.

Critical, I just read 2 very interesting fiction books about the black death. They alternate between that time period and a time in the future where epidemics have once again traveled the globe and the world has almost shut down all its borders. I can't remember the name or the author. The 2nd book was a sequel. But it was fascinating for me. I'll try to go find out the names of them for you.

Aha! Found them quickly. They are "The Plague Tales" and "Burning Road" by Ann Benson.
    Last edited by MRD; 05-12-2006 at 09:54 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread