+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon View Post
    next Im going to read "the kite runner" my favorite red headed idol blogged about it, so Im gonna give it a try. Never heard anything about it so it could be interesting...Ill let you guys know
    I loved the Kite Runner - I was sucked in from page one! I just started The Five People you Meet in Heaven. I'm liking that too.

I am still working my way through Conversation in the Cathedral, but I needed something a little less taxing to give me a break now and then.
    So I am also reading Acid Row by Minette Walters
    Acid Row is the nickname the residents of a housing project give to their area. It is a crime ridden area inhabited by single mothers and alienated teenagers. One of the residents hears that a known paedophile has moved into their area. A young girl has disappeared. The residents initiate a demonstration against the suspected peadophile (who may or may not be one) that turns into a violent siege.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Just reporting back to say I really did thoroughly enjoy The Historian. I know some of you didn't, but maybe I was helped by not having any real attachment to the Dracula legend. I did figure out the bit with his head way before the characters, and thought there were some things left dangling, but still, I liked it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    I am still working my way through Conversation in the Cathedral, but I needed something a little less taxing to give me a break now and then.
    So I am also reading Acid Row by Minette Walters
    Acid Row is the nickname the residents of a housing project give to their area. It is a crime ridden area inhabited by single mothers and alienated teenagers. One of the residents hears that a known paedophile has moved into their area. A young girl has disappeared. The residents initiate a demonstration against the suspected pedophile (who may or may not be one) that turns into a violent siege.
    William... that's considered light reading?? Sounds very interesting, but not light. (But then again, I have no idea how taxing Conversation in the Cathedral is so in comparison......)
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs View Post
    Checked this out today and got his first novel too. Your review made him sound great.
    Hope you like it, JLuvs! Let me know!
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    William... that's considered light reading?? Sounds very interesting, but not light. (But then again, I have no idea how taxing Conversation in the Cathedral is so in comparison......)
    Acid Row may not be light in terms of the subject manner, but at least I can follow the chronology and know who is in a scene at any time. It certainly is an easier read, even though there really are no sympathetic characters.
    With Conversation in the Cathedral I am never quite sure what events are contemporary and who is who - characters are called by different names and nicknames, sometimes in the same paragraph, and characters not in a scene make comments in ways that make them appear to be in the scene.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I'm reading the Downloader's Music Source Book by Penguin. I must admit this book is great for when you don't know a song, and you want to know it. I spent hours looking through this book for songs and songs and still havn't found a song that isn't in it.
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

Killing Kelly by Heather Graham.

A nice mix of suspense and romance.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi View Post
    Hey all!

Tell me what you're reading! I'm just curious. Maybe I'll pick up a few good books in time.

I'm reading *deep breath*:
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien
    Blue Heron - Avi
    Gone-Away Lake - Elizabeth Enright
    Anne of Green Gables - Montgomery
    Charming Billy - Alice McDermott
    To My Daughter With Love - Susan Polis Schutz
    hugs for Friends
    The Best Loved Poems of the American People
    One Hundred and One Famous Poems
    A Separate Peace - John Knowles
    My Antonia - Willa Cather
    Streams of Silver - R.A. Salvatore
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
    The Scarlet Letter - Nathanial Hawthorne
    Lord Brocktree - Brian Jacques

I know... I have way too much free time to do nothing and read. Guess that's what I get for living in a town without year-round schooling.
    I am reading TWILIGHT by Stephenie Meyer...She is the one who got me at this site...it is such a good book that I didn't put it down so I stayed up all night and I didn't go to sleep...I LOVE THAT BOOK!!! I am reading it again cuz I'm such a nerd...lol...If you ever get a chance, READ IT...

I read "The Constant Gardner" by John Le Carré and I found it a well written, interesting thriller.

The title character is Justin Quayle, a British diplomat whose young wife Tessa, a "no prisoners taken" idealist involved in huminatarian relief, is brutally murdered in a distant region in Kenya where the couple is stationed. In a nutshell the novel follows Quayle's quest trying to find out who killed his wife and why. He finds that her death may be linked to her research about a so called miracle drug for TB. The plot is centered along the practices of pharmaceutical companies in the Third World, and the roles First World countries play, specially in former colonies. If it all sounds a bit heavy and preachy, well, it might be that too, but I think Le Carré still makes a wonderfully sympathetic character, and one whose journey you feel compelled to follow.

+ Reply to Thread