+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Without You: A Memoire of love, loss and the musical RENT by Anthony Rapp.
    Finished this last night. Truly beautiful.

Read Passport Diaries by Tamara Gregory today and thought is was good first novel. I can't stand fluff romances and this is not.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Conversation in the Cathedral by Mario Vargas Llosa

During the 1950's in Peru two men are in a bar discussing their lives and the recent history of Peru. The way the story is told is very complicated. It's as if they are watching a film of their lives and commenting on what they are seeing in such a way that it seems as if their older selves were interacting with the other characters.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

swingkat

I've not read The Constant Gardener, nor have I seen the film. I always opt to read the book first or instead of seeing the movie. There are very few exceptions when the movie is better, imho. I'm pretty sure it's a thriller, so if you see the movie, you might not even want to read the book I don't have much experience with Le Carre, so I don't know if his writing would be enough to make you want to read the book even if you know how it's going to end.

I'm about two-thirds of the way through The Horse and His Boy, which is the third book in the Narnia Chronicles. These books are just as good as I remembered! So charming and fun to read. It's just the thing for this stressful time in my semester.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks for the welcome Critical . I usually do prefer to read the book first, since, like you say, the movie version is seldom as good as the book, but seeing as this particular movie had won some Oscars, I figured it must be good. I haven't read any Le Carré books either, but I do like thrillers, so I guess I'll go ahead and read it .

Conversation in the Cathedral by Mario Vargas Llosa
    The way the story is told is very complicated.
    Yep, ain't that the truth. Vargas Llosa is very experimental in his approach to storytelling. Sometimes, I think he can be quite effective, sometimes, I kinda wish he would be content with good old fashioned chronological order . One of his best novels, in my opinion, is "La Ciudad y los Perros", which I think translates to "The City and the Dogs". If you like Conversation in the Cathedral and you haven't read this one, I would definitely recommend it .

The Warrior Woman by Maxine Hong Kingston. I'm enjoying it so far.

Finally I got a copy of The DaVinci code to read, I looked at a million libraries for months, ever since I heard there was going to be a movie. Finally I found it in paperback for cheap so I snatched it up...

next Im going to read "the kite runner" my favorite red headed idol blogged about it, so Im gonna give it a try. Never heard anything about it so it could be interesting...Ill let you guys know
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Still slogging through Patricia Cornwell...I've now started The Body Farm. I couldn't manage to reserve all the Scarpetta novels in sequence, so I'm doing my best trying to sort out the timeline...Lucy certainly is growing up quickly.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Still slogging through Patricia Cornwell...I've now started The Body Farm. I couldn't manage to reserve all the Scarpetta novels in sequence, so I'm doing my best trying to sort out the timeline...Lucy certainly is growing up quickly.
    The Body Farm is one of my favourite Scarpetta novels, AJane. Very Silence of the Lambs. Let me know how you like it. And yep, Lucy sure does grow up quickly. It reminds me of how characters in soap operas go from being in diapers to having love interests and intricate plot lines in two years or so. Still, I think it was a good call. I really like Lucy; her story line is a welcome add to the plot, in my opinion. Make sure to read the next (I think) book in the series, From Potter's Field, which partly deals with the same subject matter. Very dark, intense and disturbing. (And yes, I do see how some people would think that putting a thumbs up smiley next to that sentence is just plain wrong. )

Coincidentally, I, too am revisiting Scarpetta-land. With my workload, I can't wrap my head around something too heavy, so I'm currently reading Unnatural Exposure by Patricia Cornwell. I haven't read the earlier Scarpetta novels in almost ten years, so significant parts of the plot are good as new to me. It certainly beats reading a new Cornwell novel, anyway.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I had several disappointing reads in a row and then got two great ones:

Empress Orchid by Anchee Min - a novel based on historical characters. It's set in 19th century China and tells the story about a concubine to the Emperor and how she becomes the last Empress of China. It's fascinating in the details it provides about life in the Forbidden City.

Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman. It starts out with a main character kidnapping (very non-violently) the son of his ex-girlfriend (whom he hasn't seen in 10 years). The story is told in seven sections, each from the point of view of a different character, explaining what led up to the kidnapping and then moving the story forward and showing how the incident changes the lives of each character. I couldn't put it down, even though it's over 600 pages in paperback.
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

Marley & Me by John Grogan. A love story about a man and his dog. I LOVED this book! He tells such a funny and heart wrenching tale, for anyone who has ever had and lost a dog (or any pet). It is especially sincere for those humans who have been fortunate to experience the love of a lab. Excellent read. I finished in one sitting, I could not put it down.

+ Reply to Thread