+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I am currently reading: Sex and Sensibility - The Adventures of a Jane Austen Addict bu Rosemarie Santini.

So far it is excellent.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by MrsJovan View Post
    I recently read Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and I started looking around on the internet for more stuff on the book and such. I found her website and she had a link to this site on it.

Has anyone read her book? I'm looking foward to the next one New Moon.

Right now I'm reading Memoirs of a Geisha. It is so good.
    MrsJovan!

If you page back through this thread, you'll see that there are lots of fans of Twilight and Stephenie Meyer here at the FoRT! The staff, in particular, has a soft spot for her

In a weak moment, I bought Elizabeth George's With No One as Witness and am spending too much time reading it! I wish I had several uninterrupted days to read it all at once. Like Geek, I can't want until summer when I can enjoy a nice, long read without any guilt!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, let me know how you like With No One as Witness. My father is a big fan of the Lynley/Havers books and told me that it is one of the best in years. I understand there is quite the twist towards the end, too. Don't worry, I have no idea what that twist is, so I won't spoil you. Elizabeth George appears to have contracted literary elephantiasis from Stephen King, though: each book is getting longer and longer, and the hardcover version of With No One as Witness looks like it might come in handy as a murder weapon, it's that heavy! Since I'm weakened by too many hours spent in front of the computer (studying, as opposed to FoRTing, of course...) I'd better pick up the paperback.

to the FoRT, MrsJovan! Although this is technically a reality TV fan site, you'll find a lot of bookworms here. And yes, Stephanie Meyer is a very special friend to the FoRT.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Geek - I'm a huge fan of Elizabeth George, so I love the longer books she's been putting out! Although her books are shelved with authors who write fast-reading thrillers where all you care about it finding out whodunnit, her writing is far superior: it's the journey, not the destination....although the destination is always satisfying as well. I'm only abouut 200 pages into this one and I'm loving it. I am not unbiased - I say this about all of her books.

I know what you mean about those HUGE hardcovers! I did Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy in paperback and it just about broke my wrist! I can't imagine what the hardback must have been like. I like to read in bed, so I usually wait for the paperback. I get enough of those monstrously heavy books in my art history courses!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I need to read some Elizabeth George. I'm a big fan of the "Mystery" series that they used to show on PBS and I think I have seen all of the shows at least twice. However, I'm a bit afraid of reading the books now and finding out that Havers or Lynley are different. I completely associate them now with the two actors who play them on TV . Although it seems as if they might have stopped making the TV show so I'll probably bite the bullet and read the books anyway.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I love the early Elizabeth George books. After that, they are a little up and down to me. The last one was great. You really do need to read them in order to get the maximum enjoyment out of them. Havers is my favorite character now. That wasn't always true, but she really gets developed over the series.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    I need to read some Elizabeth George. I'm a big fan of the "Mystery" series that they used to show on PBS and I think I have seen all of the shows at least twice. However, I'm a bit afraid of reading the books now and finding out that Havers or Lynley are different. I completely associate them now with the two actors who play them on TV . Although it seems as if they might have stopped making the TV show so I'll probably bite the bullet and read the books anyway.
    See, and I avoid the PBS series because I don't want my own ideas about the characters to be ruined. As with everything, I can assure you, the books are better than the show (even though I've never seen it! ). I once heard that Elizabeth George envisioned Ralph Fiennes (the way he was in The English Patient) as Lynley and my idea of him is similar to Ralph, but not exactly.

Mar - ITA, you definitely have to read them in order. The narrative about Lynley and Havers, as well as Simon and Deborah and everyone else is important to the plots of subsequent books.

MRD
    I'm working my way through the Janet Evanovitch series. The ones with Stephanie Plum, bounty hunter. I am on number 6. They are fun books. Light reading which I need right now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Stakeknife-Britain’s Secret Agents in Ireland by Martin Ingram and Greg Harkin

One of the authors is a journalist and the other is a former member of British Military Intelligence. The authors allege that undercover agents, with the knowledge of their contacts in British Intelligence, participated in crimes, up to and including murder. Furthermore, the murder victims included innocent civilians and some of British Intelligence’s own undercover agents. The IRA believed that Britain would not allow any of its agents to be involved in any murders. British intelligence believed that any agent involved in acts of terrorism would only enhance the undercover agent's reputation within the IRA. In fact, according to the authors, Britain allowed some of its own agents to be killed after they were caught because protecting them would compromise other agents that were considered more valuable. Stakeknife was British Intelligence’s code name for its most valuable agent – who was allegedly the number 2 man in the IRA’s own internal intelligence unit, who was responsible for, among other things, interrogating and punishing IRA members suspected of being informers. Although he participated in running some of the agents, the former Intelligence Officer who co-wrote the book now considers the price paid in innocent lives to have been too great and that the British government should fully disclose its participation in these acts of terrorism.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Sex and Sensibility - The Adventures of a Jane Austen Addict by Rosemarie Santini.
    So I finished reading this. Very funny and not without someone good morals stuff thrown in there. It is a more sophiscated Bridget Jones type book.

I also finished reading
    Bachelor Boys by Kate Saunders
    LOVED it. Made me incredibly homesick, but it was brilliant.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread