+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

A good book, that I read a long time ago is "Three" by Ted Dekker. A total mind%^&* start to finish. I wanted to read it again but this is the kind of book you just can't read twice.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOh. Thanks!
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

I just started Mad River Road by Joy Fielding. While I enjoy her novels, some of her later efforts have been disappointing and slightly formulaic. This one delivers, though. If you're looking for a psychological thriller that will have you up frantically turning pages well into the wee hours, this one should do the trick. And might I just add that it's so darn nice to every once in a while read something that just entertains you?

So many great novels out in paperback now! It's a good thing I have a birthday coming up, because I got all giddy just browsing the New Titles shelf in my local bookstore. I love hardcovers, but since I'm a) a poor student and b) love to fill up my apartment with loads and loads of books, I'll often wait for the paperback and pick up three or four paperback novels for roughly the price of one hardcover. Some of the books I can't wait to read include The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd (I know many FORTers enjoyed this one), Lost in the Forest by Sue Miller, The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly (seems like it was yesterday phat and I were talking about it being published in hardcover. My, how time does fly), Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer and much, much more. Even though it's hard to believe looking out my window (you would think I was in Narnia during the reign of the White Witch ), summer really isn't that far away now. Summer equals no uni. No uni equals lots of reading for the sheer fun of it. Fun reading equals very happy Geek the Girl.

Oh, and I can thoroughly recommend The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman. Beautifully written, atmospheric, and intriguing. Alice Hoffman just can't go wrong in my book.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm reading Maggie, Now by Betty Smith, the author of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Enjoyable read so far.

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    MyRosieDog - I finally got round to Rococo by Adriana Trigiani at the weekend. I love the Big Stone Gap books, not so much Queen of the Big Time, but Rococo was great - there isn't a huge story line - a lot of interior design description (which I enjoyed immensely), but the main character Bartolemeo (a New Jersey Italian interior designer) and his family had me in stitches, especially his sister Toot (who I could imagine being played by an overweight Cher!) I recommend it to you.
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

I'm giving Patricia Cornwall a try, and have started Southern Cross, with Black Notice on deck. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just finished Mary, Mary by James Patterson. It was the latest installment in the Alex Cross series and it really cleaned up alot of his personal story. I am very anxious to read the next book in the series. I did think the crime was sewn up pretty quickly, I felt he missed a bit of the resolution to why the serial killer chose all of his victims, but still a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I'm giving Patricia Cornwall a try, and have started Southern Cross, with Black Notice on deck. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know.
    I have a love/hate relationship going with Patricia Cornwell. The Scarpetta series started out so great, with a string of dark, gloomy, and downright scary novels in a similar vein to The Silence of the Lambs. I didn't really mind Kay Scarpetta either, although she did come off as slightly annoying and self-absorbed at times. However, it is my firm belief that Cornwell's gone downhill in recent years; her last three novels have been very disappointing style-wise, Scarpetta just gets more irritating with each novel and I'm slowly giving up all hope of Cornwell writing something that compares favourably to her earlier work. Black Notice is probably the last good Scarpetta novel, but I'd still recommend that you read a few of the earlier books first so you're up to date with everything that has happened in her life. Black Notice finds her in a very different situation than previous books, and I can imagine that diving straight into it might be a wee bit confusing if you're new to Patricia Cornwell. Most of the earlier (pre-Blow Fly) Scarpetta novels are worth reading, but I'd recommend Postmortem, Body of Evidence, All That Remains, The Body Farm, Cruel and Unusual, From Potter's Field, and Point of Origin. Don't worry, you don't have to read all of them to make sense of what Scarpetta has been going through; I just have a hard time picking just one or two novels.

As for Southern Cross, it is (I think) the first or second book in another, more lighthearted series that I have yet to read. Can't really help you there. It is my understanding, though, that those books are quite different from the Scarpetta series.

ETA: According to Amazon, Cornwell has a new novel out on May 23. The blurb doesn't give away much, but it doesn't seem to be a Scarpetta novel. Just as well; I wasn't too impressed with Predator, although it was a small (we're talking baby steps) step in the right direction. Of course, I'll have the new book delivered on its release date and will undoubtedly post my thoughts soon after. I just won't give up on authors I'm emotionally (and - let's face it - financially, since I can never wait for the paperback) invested in.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    AJane, I've read all of Cornwell's books. The Scarpetta novels are the best but it helps to read them in order since one kind of builds on the other and characters resurface. The first in that series is Postmortem. I wouldn't read Black Notice until you've read the previous books in the series.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I recently read Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and I started looking around on the internet for more stuff on the book and such. I found her website and she had a link to this site on it.

Has anyone read her book? I'm looking foward to the next one New Moon.

Right now I'm reading Memoirs of a Geisha. It is so good.

+ Reply to Thread