+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I'm slogging my way through Donna Tartt's The Little Friend. I couldn't put down The Secret History but this one is sloooooow going. So far I'm finding it quite disappointing as well.
    AJane, I'm embarrassed to admit that I never did finish The Little Friend - I was too disappointed and found the pace way too slow. Given that I've read The Secret History ten times, it felt a bit strange to give up on her sophomore effort. Mostly, I think I abandoned it out of frustration. Darn it, I know Donna Tartt could have done so much better. What do you think went wrong? My theory is that she took too much time writing the book. It was released ten years after The Secret History and it feels overworked in several passages. She should have tried a more simplistic approach.

I should pick it up again and see if I can finish it, though, because I did like the general atmosphere of it - the deep South setting, the people, the mystery. I just wasn't happy with the way Donna Tartt handled her material.

Keep me posted on how you're getting on!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Too funny...the library just called to tell me The Little Friend is overdue - my husband is home today and I told him to just return it and pay my fine as I don't think I'll ever finish it. Ah well. Now I'm really at lose ends with nothing to read...I'll have to stop by the library myself after work.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult
    Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Ghandi

Pride of Carthage by David Anthony Durham
    A historical novel about Hannibal
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by britty05 View Post
    Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult
    Are you enjoying it so far? I finished My Sister's Keeper over the weekend and feel like reading more novels by Jodi Picoult. Complex moral issues written with bestseller sensibility - very appealing.

Right now, I'm reading The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman. Hoffman is one of those writers I'll read anything by. I love her All American take on magical realism and her portraits of small New England towns and the people who inhabit them are always stellar. This one is a bit more erotic than her previous work, but I really like it so far. Beautiful language and an intriguing subject. Any other Alice Hoffman fans here?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    Pride of Carthage by David Anthony Durham
    A historical novel about Hannibal
    OOOOOOOH. I loved Hannibal. And the silence odf the lambs.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Am reading John by Cynthia Lennon. Wonderful ride back to the Sixties and the very beginning of the Beatles. When Cynthia met John Lennon, he was just an art student who didnt care about his studies, only on this little band he was putting together. Cynthia paints a picture of John warts and all. We get to see his aunts, and half sisters in a clearer light. We see the Beatles first trip to New York from the inside. For too long Yoko has been the official wife of John Lennon, holding center stage, while Cynthia who loved him when he was a nobody, has been pushed aside. A must read for anyone interested in this era or the Beatles.

WAS reading Guardian by John Saul. I stopped when I realised I HAD figured out the plot before midway. I was almost finished but decided not to bother. I knew what was going to happen. VERY dissapointed.

Finally threw "The Last Templar" to the wall. However I was curious to see how it ended and I peeked into the last few pages. Well, if you decide to read this crap you'll understand the .
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Finally threw "The Last Templar" to the wall. However I was curious to see how it ended and I peeked into the last few pages. Well, if you decide to read this crap you'll understand the .
    Totally felt like/did that with Guardian. I kept hoping I was wrong. "Pschological thriller" my ass.........

+ Reply to Thread