+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I am so ashamed to admit this, but I am currently reading Pam Anderson's first foray into fiction,(Star) but I have to say that it seems to me to be VERY autobiographical! Mindless entertainment!
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Great book -one of my all-time favourites. The movie is good, too, but they have to cut out stuff of course.
    CCL -I knew you'd be in here as soon as someone mentioned Vanity Fair! Once of these days I'll give it another chance

I've been making my way through Frances Mayes' Under the Tuscan Sun. The Diane Lane movie was based on this book but really, verrrrry loosely based. There are some similarities: it's set in Tuscany, the house is called Bramasole, they rennovate it....yeah, that's about it. The book is lovely though - it reminds me of Peter Mayle's Provence series. The writing is wonderfully descriptive and is very much like the narration in the film. It's a nice, leisurely read while I'm dealing with tons of coursework. Kind of makes me want to chuck it all and move to Italy!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    CCL -I knew you'd be in here as soon as someone mentioned Vanity Fair! Once of these days I'll give it another chance

I've been making my way through Frances Mayes' Under the Tuscan Sun. The Diane Lane movie was based on this book but really, verrrrry loosely based. There are some similarities: it's set in Tuscany, the house is called Bramasole, they rennovate it....yeah, that's about it. The book is lovely though - it reminds me of Peter Mayle's Provence series. The writing is wonderfully descriptive and is very much like the narration in the film. It's a nice, leisurely read while I'm dealing with tons of coursework. Kind of makes me want to chuck it all and move to Italy!
    I LOVED that movie- I don't care to read it word for word, but if the book takes me to the same place the movie did, I am in!
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I LOVED that movie- I don't care to read it word for word, but if the book takes me to the same place the movie did, I am in!
    I loved the movie too, snoopy! The book is not really like the movie at all. It feels to me like someone read the book and started thinking about how they could create a story out of similar circumstances. The book reads more like a travel journal. If you remember the part in the movie when Frances wrote the postcard for that guy (and he hated it) - that's how the book is written.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

I read the book and the sequel Bella Tuscany. I LOVED them. I've read them twice. And I must say I was very inspired in my cooking during the reading of them. My husband even remarked that we had been eating particularly well and did I have a new cookbook.

When I heard that they were making a movie, I was THRILLED. Then I saw it. It was so unlike the books, I was disappointed. It was a nice movie tho, but nothing at all like the books.

Those books were so well written, so descriptive that you feel you are in Tuscany and can smell the lemon trees, taste the wine and feel the sun.

Some of my very favorite books (also love Peter Mayle's series in Provence, but the Tuscany books are even better)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm just beginning to read "The Genesis Code" by John Case. It's a slightly older book (1998), but Amanda insisted I give it a shot, since I made her read a Vince Flynn book

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

FORT Fan
    In Cold Blood.

Quote Originally Posted by ThehappyCynic View Post
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
    Great book!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Darn, I'm getting predictable. But, to be fair, I'm in here all the time but I don't tend to post that often. My bad. I'm about to start The Divine Comedy. One of my professors said that Lent was the perfect time to read it and I've been meaning to do it for a while. After that I'm planning on The Dante Club & The Historian. I just have to wait until my sister is done with them because it would be kind of rude to pry them out of her hands.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread