+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees - actually, I'm underwhelmed so far. I far preferred The Mermaid Chair.

I've got Donna Tartt's second novel on deck.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
    After finishing a couple of British literature classics, I picked up John Grisham's "The Broker" in paperback at the weekend. Then Adriana Trigiani's "Rococo" is next. A bit of light reading for me for a wee while. A sorbet to cleanse the palate, if you will...
    LOVE Adriana Trigiani. Please post a review of Rococo when you get a chance. I have not read that one yet
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    Be glad to myrosiedog - I enjoyed the Big Stone Gap books immensely but couldn't get into Lucia Lucia for some reason..

Snowflakegirl...can't wait to hear what you thought about Shadow of the Wind, The Historian and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell...all books I and many here on FORT have really found wonderful!
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

Would love to talk to you about those, Britannia! I'm looking forward to reading them after I finish my current book--my biggest dilemma is which to read first! Any suggestions?

Tell me how you like Rococo, too. I read Trigiani's Queen of the Big Time over Christmas, along with some Maeve Binchy from my MIL.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

For uni, I'm reading the collected stories of Edgar Allan Poe. I'm enjoying them so much that they feel like a voluntary, "fun" read, though. I read quite a bit of Poe back when I was a moody, black-clad teen, and it's nice to revisit the eerie, dark, and frightening place that is the prose of Edgar Allan Poe. I especially enjoyed "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", an exceptional mystery story that is generally thought to have invented the detective story, "The Tell-Tale Heart", and "The Black Cat". Next in line: the fairy tales of H.C. Andersen. "The Little Match Girl" is bound to have me bawling like a baby, as usual I love being a lit major, I really do. Where else would you get to read such awesome stories and pass it off as work? I'm not as thrilled about the hundreds of pages of literary theory I have to read later today, but the amazing primary sources certainly make it a lot easier.

As for books that aren't on my course requirement list, I'm still reading The Historian and more than halfway into the story, I find it more engrossing with each page. I don't want it to end, but at the same time I can't wait to unravel the mystery.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

MRD
    Snowflakegirl, what Maeve Binchy did you read? I love her books. I think Scarlet Feather was my favorite. Althought they have all been good.
    -------------------------------

The Big Stone Gap books were my favorite too and I have a quote from the first one about losing your mother that I put in a tribute album I made after my mother died.

I have not read any of her other stuff tho.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Snowflakegirl, what Maeve Binchy did you read? I love her books. I think Scarlet Feather was my favorite. Althought they have all been good.
    I adore Maeve Binchy. I think my favorites of hers were Echoes, Firefly Summer, and Circle of Friends.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

One of Binchy's early books, Light a Penny Candle, will always be my sentimental favorite. It was the first book of hers that I read.

FORT Newbie
    I'm reading Vanity Fair...by William Makepeace Thackery....haven't seen the movie yet and i have a thing...i don't watch the movie if there is a book and i haven't read it.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by jvestal23 View Post
    I'm reading Vanity Fair...by William Makepeace Thackery....haven't seen the movie yet and i have a thing...i don't watch the movie if there is a book and i haven't read it.
    Great book -one of my all-time favourites. The movie is good, too, but they have to cut out stuff of course.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread