+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    I loved loved loved The Historian. I sat up late at night because I was so reluctant to put it down to do such mundane things as sleeping. It's one of those books that chases you in your dreams and occupies your thoughts during the day. I borrowed it from the library - but will definitely buy it once it's out in paperback.
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, by Susanna Clarke.

Super so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    Oh, IS "The Historian" out in paperback? Good to know, Geek. I'd been wanting to read it but didn't want to shell out for a hardback.
    Well, it's been out in paperback in Europe for over a month now, but it looks like the paperback edition has yet to be published in the U.S. Sorry if I got your hopes up. It should be out any day now, though.

I just finished Stephen King's (or Richard Bachman. Whatever.) "The Regulators," which I picked because I remembered liking "Desperation" even though I don't really remember the plot. "The Regulators" was ok, but it felt ... rushed. Like he was just sort of pounding it out, not really fleshing it out.
    Like you, I liked Desperation, although it's been almost ten years (ten years?!) since I read it and some of the plot elements are long forgotten, and have been meaning to read The Regulators too, since it deals with the same characters in a different situation. I'll probably end up borrowing it from the library, even though I tend to want to buy everything by Stephen King.

On a semi-related note: Have you read Black House, the follow-up to The Talisman? It's one of the few S.K. books I have yet to read (well, that and The Regulators, obviously ) and since I loved The Talisman as a kid, I'd like to see if the sequel lives up to its predecessor. This blurb from Amazon really makes me want to read it:

"While The Talisman was a straightforward myth in 1980s packaging, Black House is richer and more complex, a fantasy wrapped in a horror story inside a mystery, sporting a clever tangle of references to Charles Dickens, Edgar Allan Poe, jazz, baseball, and King's own Dark Tower saga. Talisman fans will find the sure-footed Jack has worn well--as has the King/Straub writing style, which is much improved with the passage of two decades."

Black House was published years ago - I wonder why I didn't pick it up when it was first published? Ah yes, I seem to recall now. 1999-2003 were my elitist snob years, when I tried to steer clear of anything mainstream. Emphasis on "tried". Black House was published in 2001 (I think) so it was published right in the middle of my pretentious years. I never did read Dreamcatcher for the exact same (lame) reason.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Geek, I DID read Black House, as I, too, loved The Talisman. I still love The Talisman more, but Black House is definitely worth a read -- it's slow to get going, and as I recall much less of it is set in that alternate world, but it's still good, and I'd definitely advise you to read it.
    I'd tell you to not bother with Dreamcatcher, though, I didn't particularly enjoy that one. But go get Bag of Bones if you haven't read it -- it was a fine ghost story.

Poo on The Historian publishers for not being in paperback in the US yet! Oh, well, it will eventually.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I'm reading some very low-brow stuff in the way of Harlequin *Blaze* - they pretend to be erotica, I'm on my 10th book now.. I'd forgotten why I stopped reading them in the first place. Their formulaic nature is very off putting.
    I recently re-read and finished Nora Robert's In The Garden trilogy (Blue Dahlia, Black Rose and Red Lily) I enjoyed it very much but it was good that there were only 3 novels - the storyline was getting old.

My next purchases are: The Beekeeper's Apprentice and Origins in Death (JD Robb)
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I'm reading too much, probably. Last weekend, I read Voltaire's Candide. No, it wasn't for school. Yes, I liked it. Loved it, really. It's so hilarious and appalling at once--a good example of a "timeless" work.

Now I'm working on Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club, Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, Graham Greene's The Quiet American, and Azhar Abidi's Passarola Rising. I'll get back to you in about a year and let you know how they are.

Actually, I can say that they're all engaging in their own ways so far. I love Gaiman's style and thought-provoking use of language so far, and Graham Greene is just classic. Passarola is very simplistic--almost like a fairytale--and Fight Club's style is, well,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    schizophrenic
    . Yuk yuk.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post
    I'm reading some very low-brow stuff in the way of Harlequin *Blaze* - they pretend to be erotica, I'm on my 10th book now.. I'd forgotten why I stopped reading them in the first place. Their formulaic nature is very off putting.
    I recently re-read and finished Nora Robert's In The Garden trilogy (Blue Dahlia, Black Rose and Red Lily) I enjoyed it very much but it was good that there were only 3 novels - the storyline was getting old.

My next purchases are: The Beekeeper's Apprentice and Origins in Death (JD Robb)
    The Beekeeper's Apprentice is a really good book I've read it once and I would love to read it again if I can find it I've got some of my books packed up from the move.
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna View Post
    I'm reading too much, probably. Last weekend, I read Voltaire's Candide. No, it wasn't for school. Yes, I liked it. Loved it, really. It's so hilarious and appalling at once--a good example of a "timeless" work.
    "We must cultivate our garden." One of my favorite books from high school, next to One Hundred Years of Solitude, and I still have a fondness for Voltaire to this day.

I see a number of books in this thread that I have recently purchased, but have not started yet. I'm finishing up the third George R. R. Martin book from the Song of Ice & Fire series, but in the meantime I couldn't resist getting The Historian (which, yes, I found in paperback), The Shadow of the Wind, and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell. I hope to be able to chat about these books with you all some more once I've gotten to them.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

MRD
    Boy after reading what you all are reading, I feel like I should go hide in my closet to read what I'm currently reading as its nowhere near the level of literature that most of you seem to be enjoying.

I have FINALLY started on the Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum books: 1 for the money, etc.
    A friend bought them all in paperback and loaned them to me. I am getting ready to start number 5 today.

I have had a rough few weeks, so mindless reading is just what I need. I reading for escapism right now, so don't need something so deep I actually have to think about it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    After finishing a couple of British literature classics, I picked up John Grisham's "The Broker" in paperback at the weekend. Then Adriana Trigiani's "Rococo" is next. A bit of light reading for me for a wee while. A sorbet to cleanse the palate, if you will...
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

+ Reply to Thread