+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenNicole View Post
    I love, love, love A Secret History too. I've read it numerous times, and my copy is definitely worn. I haven't read her second novel yet.

Yesterday, I just finished Last Exit to Brooklyn. As engrossing and honest as it is, I'm almost glad it was over and that I got through it. It's definitely not for the faint at heart. Whew.
    Count me in as another fan of The Secret History. I never did get to read her other book, but the friend who lent me History said she found it disappointing.

I haven't read that in a long time, but Last Exit to Brooklyn is amazing, and yes, heartrending and at times painful to get through.

I recently read Dennis Cooper's Guide. It is like Britpop fanfiction gone to transgressive lit hell! It's repulsive and hilarious all at the same time. A very brief read, I think I finished it in the space of a few hours.

I'm also finally on the third book of George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. I have really great friends who have been lending me all the books, so when I finish one and the suspense starts to kill me, I never have to worry about waiting too long to get the next.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Yep, Snowy - Donna Tartt's second book was good, but not "I loved her first book SO much and I waited ten whole years to read this one" good. I don't think I would have been nearly as disappointed if I hadn't loved The Secret History so much.

In keeping with my current art history theme, I'm reading The Lost Painting by Jonathan Harr. I don't have too much time to read for pleasure, but it's is really good - I'm having a hard time keeping away from it! While this one is non-fiction (another about Caravaggio), it reads like third person narrative fiction.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Right now I'm reading The Bloodline of the Holy Grail. Its more of a history of Jesus Christ and the family tree and itrs kind of interesting.
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

A Body in the Bath House by Lindsey Davis. A very funny, intelligent mystery set in Ancient Rome. Just make sure you start at the beginning of the series...

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs View Post
    On the total other end of the spectrum....I am reading You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs by Laurie Graff. Great book and funny, so far.
    I finished this book today and I really loved it. It was funny enough to see humor in horrible dates but focused on the importance of being yourself and being comfortable in your own skin.

I am now reading Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Newbie
    Prince Of Tides- really great but I just haven't had enough time to finish it!

Pure Sunshine.
    Strokes Concert: 3/21/06
    "What do you mean we walked around dressed like girls? We walked around in our own clothes, they just happened to be dresses." -Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)

"Hot Flash Holidays" by Nancy Thayer.

This is the third in the "Hot Flash Club" series.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

So, what am I reading? The answer ought to be "Whatever is next on my neverending list of required reading", but since I'm a naughty girl, the honest answer is The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. I've been dying to read it ever since it was published, and since it's now out in paperback, I decided to give myself a hiatus from Strindberg and obscure 19th century Swedish short stories and give in to my love of anything Dracula. So far, I'm loving it. I've always been intrigued by the Dracula/Vlad myth - growing up, I remember a finding book on Vlad Tepes in my parents' bookshelf and devouring it - and Kostova's take on it is very interesting, and well-written and atmospheric at that.

Since I'm incapable of just buying one book, I also picked up The Nanny Diaries, another book that has been on my "to read" list for ages. I read it in less than 24 hours and enjoyed it immensely. It's a very quick, light and entertaining read, ideal company for a night in. Now I have to check out Nicola Kraus' and Emma McLaughlin's new effort, Citizen Girl, although it's received lukewarm reviews on Amazon. Better wait for the paperback.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Oh, IS "The Historian" out in paperback? Good to know, Geek. I'd been wanting to read it but didn't want to shell out for a hardback.

I just finished Stephen King's (or Richard Bachman. Whatever.) "The Regulators," which I picked because I remembered liking "Desperation" even though I don't really remember the plot. "The Regulators" was ok, but it felt ... rushed. Like he was just sort of pounding it out, not really fleshing it out.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread