+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I'm about 30 pages into Ross King's Brunelleschi's Dome and am loving it. King's style is so readable that I just get lost in the story. I'd love to be able to sit down and read it cover to cover. I can't believe how many books I'm dying to read right now! Stupid required course reading!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just starting The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Very engaging so far.

Next on my list is Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. I've heard so many people recommend it, I thought I'd give it a try.

Just started a book I've been wanting to read for a long time: Prep by Curtis Sittenfield. I'm only about seventy pages in, but so far it's living up to the hype. I've never gone to a prep school, but Sittenfield really brings you back to those awkward high school days. Lee is an incredibly likeable character as well, which helps. Prep has been compared to The Bell Jar and The Catcher in the Rye and I can see why - it's a brilliant coming-of-age story, equally funny and poignant.

Oh, and do make sure to pick up The Ghost Orchid by Carol Goodman. Like always with Goodman's novels, I was sucked into the atmospheric, slightly creepy settings from page one and was really annoyed whenever I had to stop reading. I have a soft spot for 19th century settings, seances, and pale, moody writers addicted to laudanum, so this was a great read for me. The two parallel stories (one set in the 1800's, one set in the present day) worked very well. The only letdown is that I now have to wait at least a year for a new novel by Carol Goodman!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quarrel with the Foe by Mel Bradshaw
    It's a mystery that takes place in Toronto in 1926. A miilionaire industrialist is shot and killed outside his office building. The investigating detective finds connections between the deceased and soldiers that he knew in Flanders during WWI.
    How accurate the portrayal of Toronto of 1926 is I don't know, but it feels real. The pace is quicker and the characters more interesting than in Bradshaw's previous mystery (Death in the Age of Steam).

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Ooooh, I absolutely love The Secret History - I've read my copy to tatters. (Wouldn't it make a fabulous movie, if the right screenwriter and director got ahold if it?) I never did get to Tartt's second novel...I really ought to see if the library has a copy.
    I love, love, love A Secret History too. I've read it numerous times, and my copy is definitely worn. I haven't read her second novel yet.

Yesterday, I just finished Last Exit to Brooklyn. As engrossing and honest as it is, I'm almost glad it was over and that I got through it. It's definitely not for the faint at heart. Whew.

I'm almost through Close Range, the Annie Proulx collection of short stories. I never considered myself a fan of Westerns (my library classes her Wyoming stories as such) but I really love her storytelling style.

I also finished Lunar Park. I'm now tempted to check out Glamorama - Ellis has redeemed himself from the dreadful American Psycho, IMO.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    John - I'd be interested to know how Vince Flynn's new one is. I've read a few of his and enjoyed them.
    Sorry it's been a while, Critical, but I did want to get back to you and tell you how Consent to Kill was.

it was VERY good. If you're a fan of Vince Flynn, especially his Mitch Rapp books, this is definitely a must-read. One of the better books I've read lately.

Right now, I'm reading Michael Connelly's "The Closers". I've read a couple of other of his books with the same characters, and so far it's "just okay". Not awful, but the typical kind of book I pick up in an airport on my way to somewhere for something to read.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Sorry it's been a while, Critical, but I did want to get back to you and tell you how Consent to Kill was.

it was VERY good. If you're a fan of Vince Flynn, especially his Mitch Rapp books, this is definitely a must-read. One of the better books I've read lately.

Right now, I'm reading Michael Connelly's "The Closers". I've read a couple of other of his books with the same characters, and so far it's "just okay". Not awful, but the typical kind of book I pick up in an airport on my way to somewhere for something to read.
    Thanks John! I do like the Mitch Rapp books, so I'll look for this one the next time I'm at the used book store. His books are the kind that I like to sit and read in one sitting, so I have to buy them used or I start calculating how much the book cost me per hour.

I'm a big fan of Connelly and I enjoyed The Closers, but it definitely wasn't his best. My favorite of his is probably Angel's Flight or The Poet. That entire genre is good airport reading - lots of concentration isn't necessary and it doesn't matter if you accidentally skip a paragraph!

I'm still reading Brunelleschi's Dome and will probably finish it within the next week. I'm so bogged down with course reading that I only get a few minutes a day to read for pleasure.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

While waiting for my car to get fixed today I read Annie Proulx short story Brokeback Mountain. It was a beautiful read.

On the total other end of the spectrum....I am reading You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs by Laurie Grant. Great book and funny, so far.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

The War of the End of the World by Mario Vargas Llosa

In the late 19th century Brazil has recently abolished slavery, overthrown the monarchy and become a republic. Canudos is a settlement populated by displaced slaves, prostitutes, beggars and bandits. The settlement rejects property ownership, income tax, the decimal system, civil marriage, the census and money. They are led by an ascetic preacher, known only as “The Counselor”, who teaches that the secularization of society the republic has brought about signals the coming of the end of the world and that their struggle against the republic of Brazil is a fight against the antichrist. Naturally, as the settlement gathers more followers the government of Brazil sees Canudos as a threat they cannot tolerate.

The story is not completely told in a straight linear fashion (so far): it does generally move forward in time, but keeps weaving back to introduce a new character and how that character either became part of the settlement or interacted with it in another way. The writer’s shifting of perspectives between many characters and times before and after the establishment of the settlement has sometimes left me momentarily confused, but the story is fascinating and the characters compelling.

+ Reply to Thread