+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Oh, I just love P.D. James. I always feel that my time has been well spent once I've finished one of her books (and that would be most of them - the rest will be coming soon as I have a gift card). I have to say, though, that while "Children of Men" was a well-written book with an interesting premise, I just couldn't quite make all the way through. I may finish it someday, though I sort of doubt it.

I don't know if you've ever read Ruth Rendell, but if you like P.D. James you should probably also like her. Again, though, she had one, just one, book that I really couldn't stand (it had the word "Flesh" in the title, can't remember what it's called). It was actually the first Rendell book I ever read, which meant that I didn't read anything else of hers for years. But once I did get on board with her books, I tried the "Flesh" one again and yep, still hated it.
    I am really enjoying The Children of Men - it's pretty weird and in the vein of Fahrenheit 411, The Handmaid's Tale etc. These kind of books creep me out in an "I can't stop reading even though I'm hating what's happening and what if this did happen with the world?" kind of way..lol
    I'm up to Part 2 - Alpha and can't wait to get home from work so I can curl up on the sofa with coffee, obviously with some chocolate and my book.

I have not read any Ruth Rendell, but have seen some of the TV adaptations when I lived in England. I may have to go and check her books out. Thanks for the reminder Rattus!
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

I just finished reading The Princess Bride and the one chapter of the second book Buttercup's Baby. Really enjoyed both.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I started A Patchwork Planet by Anne Tyler last night, and if I hadn't been forced to get up at the crack of dawn, I would have devoured it in one sitting. It's a beautiful, poignant and touching story of a guy most people think of a loser. Nothing extraordinary happens in it; rather, the beauty of it lies in Tyler's amazing portrayal of her characters. They feel incredibly real and likeable, and I love how she portrays Baltimore, as though the city itself has a heart and soul - which I suppose it does. (Never been to Baltimore, although I feel like going now. All Anne Tyler's novels take place there, right?) It's a kind, thoughtful novel on the magic of extraordinary, just the sort of novel I wish more people could attempt to write. We need some kind novels in this day and age, I think.

I can't wait to get home and finish the book tonight. I've been curious about Anne Tyler for quite a while though - whenever I read an interview with an author I like and he/she is asked about their favourite authors, Tylers' name comes up. She appears to be something of a "writer's writer", and now I can see why. Now I want to read all of her books. Any ideas on where to go next? I seem to recall that several people have spoken warmly of Anne Tyler here.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

geek, I love Anne Tyler. Poignant is the right word for her work...not sad, but incredibly thoughtful - she shows such warm empathy for her all her characters. I've read tons of her stuff, but my all-time favourite of hers is Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant. (Not a bad choice for the book club, come to think of it.)
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    my all-time favourite of hers is Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant. (Not a bad choice for the book club, come to think of it.)
    Interestingly enough, that's her personal fave too! I've had several people recommend it to me; now I really need to pick it up. I'm so excited about having found a new favourite writer. I'm surprised it took me so long, though: whenever I log onto Amazon to check out new releases from another favourite writer, Alice Hoffman, recommendations for Anne Tyler show up. I wouldn't say they're that similar as writers, but they both excel at portraying everyday life in everyday American towns. And you're right, Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant - or indeed anything by Anne Tyler - would be a great pick for our book club

I almost can't believe my own luck, but I stumbled across a volume of three Anne Tyler novels - The Accidental Tourist, Breathing Lessons, and Searching for Caleb - for a measly $3 in a second-hand bookstore today. It was in English, too, which is pretty rare to find at a reasonable price over here, so yes, very, very good day. All three novels seem superb, so I'll be all about Anne Tyler for a while now.

OMG, geek - does the book have a greenish-blue paper cover, with a picture of a blue chair with wings on it? I'll die if it does...I have the very same collection.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    OMG, geek - does the book have a greenish-blue paper cover, with a picture of a blue chair with wings on it? I'll die if it does...I have the very same collection.
    Sure does Too cool that an exact same copy of your book has somehow made its way to a tiny thrift shop in downtown Stockholm! It is a small world after all. I started The Accidental Tourist last night and I'm now more convinced than ever that Anne Tyler is one of the best contemporary American writers alive today.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Sure does Too cool that an exact same copy of your book has somehow made its way to a tiny thrift shop in downtown Stockholm! It is a small world after all. I started The Accidental Tourist last night and I'm now more convinced than ever that Anne Tyler is one of the best contemporary American writers alive today.
    Amen to that! She's one of my favorites, geek. I went through a phase where I read all the Tyler I could get my hands on. The one that sticks out for me is Breathing Lessons, although there isn't one book of hers that I've read that I haven't enjoyed.

I just finished Whitney Otto's Now You See Her and, I have to say, it was not at all what I expected. My only exposure to Otto was seeing the movie of How to Make an Amerian Quilt, so I don't think I had an accurate picture. This book, instead of being kind of a Fried Green Tomatoes kind of a thing, was more of a meditation on modern life and the roles and relationships of men and women....discussed by using some loosely-drawn characters. The main character is a researcher for a Jeopardy-esque game show, so the book is punctuated by paragraphs of facts on different subjects. The ending wasn't terribly satisfying, but it really did give me a lot to think about.

I also finished King Leopold's Ghost, which wasn't a fun read, but I felt a sense of accomplishment after I finished it.

Classes started this week, so I don't know what I'll be reading between now and mid-May. Hopefully, it will be something more than textbooks! I was really hoping to re-read Robert Graves' I, Claudius and Claudius the God. Maybe I'll hit those two next. They're the kind of books that lend themselves to slow, leisurely reads.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    I'm about halfway through The Tattooed Girl by Joyce Carol Oates, and I'm really enjoying it. A few months ago I read one of her short stories and was really impressed- so far the full length novel is not letting me down.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    I just finished [B]A Glass Castle[B]by Jeanette Walls It was one of the most engrossing books Ive read in a while. Its a memior of her childhood which was bizarre. She is now a writer for the entertainment column on MSNBC.com
    Im just started Brick Lane by Monica Ali. It reminds me of an old book that my mother gave me called Nectar in the Sieve
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

+ Reply to Thread