+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Newbie
    TwilightxDawns - I loved Twilight as well. There is supposed to be a sequel in the works.

TwilightxDawns - You'll be happy to know that Stephenie Meyer has two more books in the works! Hopefully, there will be even more after that! The staff at FoRT has quite a soft spot for Stephenie

Since I only have about 5 days left until classes start, I've been reading A LOT. In the last few days I've finished Ross King's Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling - incredible storytelling and extremely readable. I finished Harem (author's name is somewhere upthread and I'm too lazy too look for it! ). It was sort of a cross between Like Water for Chocolate (the fairy tale-ish quality), and a very racy tale of harems and female power. It reminded me of a number of that genre of novels that includes stuff like Nancy Kricorian's Zabelle and Anita Diamont's The Red Tent. Definitely a

I just started Adam Hochschild's King Leopold's Ghost about the Belgian Congo and what was probably the most brutal example of European colonialism ever. Not exactly happy reading, but really interesting nonetheless. After that, I have 2 or 3 more books to get through. I wish they'd postpone classes for a week!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    Finished PD James' "Death in Holy Orders". Why have I not picked up one of her books before? Now reading her "Devices and Desires" and then I picked up another at the library which is again by PD James (but not in the crime mystery genre at all)and was highly recommended by a friend - "Children of Men" - set in Britain in 2021 where the population is getting older and men have been infertile since 1995 and so there have been no babies born in that time. It sounds a little creepy - but I'm looking forward to getting to it.
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post
    I finally, finally finished On The Run by Gregg Hill and Gina Hill, and it was a downer, for sure.

Link to info on the book: http://www.twbookmark.com/books/8/044652770X/index.html

It wasn't particularly well-written, but it was written in a very reader-friendly, uncomplicated way, and it came off as though the two writers were just talking to the reader from across the room.

The story itself was a downer, and it left me feeling slimed -- I grew to hate the guts of Henry Hill after reading it, and prior to reading this book I hadn't given him much thought because I'd never read Wiseguy (his life story as told to some author) or seen Goodfellas the movie about his life story.

Henry Hill, you piece of crap, this is for you:

Oh and Karen, you worthless excuse of a mother, here's yours:
    C'mon Pom, don't hold back, tell us what you REALLY feel.

I started reading this a couple of days ago. Goodfellas is one of my all-time favourite movies, and I saw an A&E special on Henry Hill a while back, so I was really interested when I saw you mention it in this thread. His kids certainly are the forgotten casualties of his life of crime, aren't they?

I agree it's an easy read, though not a light one. A revelation for anyone who falls for the glamourous, spoiled rich-kid portrayal of mobster families that the Gottis sell the public.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
    Finished PD James' "Death in Holy Orders". Why have I not picked up one of her books before? Now reading her "Devices and Desires" and then I picked up another at the library which is again by PD James (but not in the crime mystery genre at all)and was highly recommended by a friend - "Children of Men" - set in Britain in 2021 where the population is getting older and men have been infertile since 1995 and so there have been no babies born in that time. It sounds a little creepy - but I'm looking forward to getting to it.
    Oh, I just love P.D. James. I always feel that my time has been well spent once I've finished one of her books (and that would be most of them - the rest will be coming soon as I have a gift card). I have to say, though, that while "Children of Men" was a well-written book with an interesting premise, I just couldn't quite make all the way through. I may finish it someday, though I sort of doubt it.

I don't know if you've ever read Ruth Rendell, but if you like P.D. James you should probably also like her. Again, though, she had one, just one, book that I really couldn't stand (it had the word "Flesh" in the title, can't remember what it's called). It was actually the first Rendell book I ever read, which meant that I didn't read anything else of hers for years. But once I did get on board with her books, I tried the "Flesh" one again and yep, still hated it.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Im reading a christian novel, the 5th in a series called "the russians" I love historical fiction.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

I'm reading The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver. I'm trying not to imagine the movie since it's been so long since I've seen it.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss.........only about 60 pages in but I can tell I'm really going to like it. Anyone else read it?

Quote Originally Posted by vondl0 View Post
    The History of Love by Nicole Krauss.........only about 60 pages in but I can tell I'm really going to like it. Anyone else read it?
    Nope, not yet. It's definitely on my "to read" list, though. The first sentence is just amazing, and I'm all about first sentences. Maybe one of these days I'll go into a bookstore and actually buy it as opposed to sample-read the first page

I finished The Way the Crow Flies last night - I couldn't stop reading! - and wholeheartedly recommend it. Very powerful, at times disturbing story, and beautifully written, too. At first, the 700+ pages might seem a bit intimidating, but it was actually a very quick and smooth read.

Next up is Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, yet another book I've been dying to read.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 01-20-2006 at 04:23 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I'm on a Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child kick right now. I read the series out of order and started with "Cabinet Of Curiosities". Excellent read. Based in New York City with a 'Jack the Ripperesque' storyline. Murder, serial killings, torture (the killer operates on his victims while they're AWAKE) - right up my alley. Finished "Relic" (mutant man/lizard monster terrorizes a museum) and "Reliquary" (picks up where "Relic" left off); both very entertaining but not as good as "Cabinet of Curiosities".

One of the main characters is FBI special agent Pendergast, a New Orleans southern gentlemen. Pendergast is always cool, calm and collected and has an enigmatic quality about him - not to mention he's a human encyclopedia. You just know he's going to save the day, no matter how far fetched the plotline becomes. Actually, I think I'm in love with Pendergast.

Now it's "Still Life With Crows". Just started, but once again, Pendergast has a captive audience in me.

Do any of you ever associate a character with a certain actor? I do it all the time. Pendergast reminds me of a younger David Carradine (Kung Fu days), but with blonde/white hair. Maybe because the 'master' was so calm, gentle and wise.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

+ Reply to Thread