+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm getting ready to start Honeymoon With My Brother by Frank Wisner. It's my mother's copy and I have to finish it before I go home this week - it's signed, so I don't want to borrow it. The story is basically this: This guy's fiancee dumps him a few days before the wedding, so he has the "wedding" without her and then goes on the honeymoon to Costa Rica with his brother. According to the book jacket, both brothers realize that their priorities were all backwards, so they quit their jobs, sell their homes, give their belongings away and then take off to travel around the world for several years. My mother went to a reading with both brothers and said that they were hilarious.
    Oh boy, I heard about this, and I would love to get your take on it, my dear Critical.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Yesterday I read Catku:What is the Sound of One Cat Napping

My sister got it for me for Christmas and its a hoot. It's haiku written from a cat's perspective. It's a novelty book, obviously, but very cute and fun. A great gift for cat lovers.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I just read "The Tender Bar" By JR Moehringer. And I must say I really enjoyed it, about a fatherless boy who falls in love with his lofty desires (Yale), Sidney (a girl right out of Fitzgerald) and the bar in his hometown.

Of course "The Tender Bar" would apeal to me, my screen is named "beerbelly"
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

The book I read while commuting to work is Roma Eterna by Robert Silverberg
    It's actually a collection of short stories which take place in various periods of an alternative history. The theme of the stories is that the Western Roman Empire did not collapse (although it was considerably weakened) from the barbarian invasions. Also, as told in a brief prologue, Moses' rebellion against the Egyptian pharaohs failed and he was unable leave Egypt. As a result of this, Judaism is a small, almost unknown cult, and Christianity was never born.

My book for reading at home is Garcia, an American Life by Blair Jackson. I was never a Grateful Dead fan in the past, but I have been listening to cds in which the Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia Bands play songs of Bob Dylan. Reading up on Garcia I learned about his eclectic musical roots and interests. I have always been liked eclectic people, so I wanted to learn more about Garcia.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana View Post
    RosesKid, I finished Marley and Me a few days ago and got to the end of it while riding in the car, the husband at the wheel. He kept an eye on me to see if I would cry...I'm glad I managed not to do so. My trick was to stop often and gather my composure
    I didn't see this until just now, Texi. I am loving this book, although I think I know where it's headed...
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    Oh boy, I heard about this, and I would love to get your take on it, my dear Critical.
    You got it! I just finished a few minutes ago! Obviously, it was a very fast read I definitely would recommend it.... even though it was written by a Republican who worked for The Irvine Company () Seriously though, I was surprised at how well written and how touching it was (just based on what I heard about it, I thought it would be more fluffy and humorous). It's definitely not travel literature - unless you're talking about an internal voyage. He does talk about the places they traveled - 5 continents in 2 years - but it's more about the changes he went through and the growth of the relationship with his brother. Apparently, they're off on another adventure so he can write another book.... and I'll read that one too!

Oh, and I spelled the author's name wrong - his first name is Franz.

I'm now about 10 pages into The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. The reviews I've read liken it to a combination of Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Umberto Eco. So far, I'm enjoying it and it is very well written.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    Critical - I picked up The Shadow of the Wind in the summertime. I loved it. Quite convoluted in parts - but I drank it all in, dreamt it and couldn't get it out of my mind for ages. I hope you enjoy it.
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

I just started Can You Keep A Secret by Sophie Kinsella...so far it's quite amusing.

I'm about 100 pages into The Shadow of the Wind and am loving it! It's one of those kind of books that I have with me at all times so I can read at traffic lights, while waiting in the drive thru at Micky D's, if I get stuck by a train, etc. I am always so excited to be immersed in a compelling book!

Off to get comfy under my quilts and lose myself in Barcelona again.........

Quote Originally Posted by vondl0 View Post
    I'm about 100 pages into The Shadow of the Wind and am loving it! It's one of those kind of books that I have with me at all times so I can read at traffic lights, while waiting in the drive thru at Micky D's, if I get stuck by a train, etc. I am always so excited to be immersed in a compelling book!

Off to get comfy under my quilts and lose myself in Barcelona again.........
    It sounds like we're at about the same point in the book. I can't wait until tomorrow night when I'll finally be home and can finish this one without any interruptions! I'm really loving it and can't wait to see what happens but I know this is one of those books that I'll be sad to finish.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread