+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan View Post
    I started A Million Little Pieces last night. It's very engrossing, but quite graphic. I love good memoirs.
    I know I mentioned this just a few posts ago, but have you read any memoirs by Augusten Burroughs? His are very good as well, and he has a pretty funny sense of humor. You might enjoy his also. I don't want his books to end. I'm going to the library tomorrow, and hopefully will get A Million Little Pieces.

The Princess Bride - The Good Parts version.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Fogey
    I just started On The Run by Gregg and Gina Hill, the son and daughter of mobster Henry Hill.

So far, so good. It's nice to know that the Mafia life's not as sexy and glamorous as Hollywood would want us to believe it is. . . .

http://www.twbookmark.com/books/8/044652770X/index.html

stinkerbell, yes, I read Running With Scissors. He is a great author. I've been meaning to read the sequels to RWS.

It's either this thread or another in the Books forum that has a big discussion about Burroughs' Running With Scissors - I think it was about 6 months ago, but I'm not sure. I got Dry (the follow up) the other week ago. I have a few weeks before classes start, so I'm hoping to have time to read it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

DJeterFan, I finished A Million Little Pieces, and was blown away by it. I'm going to pick up his follow-up book, My Friend Leonard as soon as I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texicana View Post
    Roseskid, I spotted Marley and Me at a bookstore this weekend and I'm picking up a copy at the library today, along with Born Free (need to re-read it so I can move on to the sequel that I just bought used, Living Free) and lastly, The Dive From Clausen's Pier. I watched the Lifetime movie with Michelle Trachtenberg this weekend and so I'm going to give the book a try.
    I just started Marley and Me, and I highly recommend it Texi, especially if you're a dog lover. Grogan's writing style is humorous and endearing...I'm loving this book and frequently laugh out loud.

Critical, A Perfect Red sounds intriguing and I think I'd like it.

I still have Teacher Man waiting patiently for me on the coffee table, but I love Frank McCourt so much, it's kind of like eating dinner slowly, knowing a great dessert is moments away.

Geek the Girl, I'm going to pick up a copy of The Year of Magical Thinking. I've heard wonderful things about it, and your comments sealed the deal.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Just started Missing Mom, Joyce Carol Oates' latest effort. It's slightly different from her previous work, language-wise - I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but it's something - but nevertheless flawlessly written and engaging. I just don't know how she does it; this is one of several titles penned by Oates that was released in 2005. The woman is insanely prolific. Yet she keeps on delivering some of the best contemporary fiction out there. Amazing.

Between The Year of Magical Thinking and Missing Mom, I felt like reading something a bit more light-hearted. Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger (author of the much-talked-about The Devil Wears Prada) was just what the doctor ordered. Fun, glamorous and snarky; think modern-day Dorothy Parker coupled with Candace Bushnall.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It's either this thread or another in the Books forum that has a big discussion about Burroughs' Running With Scissors - I think it was about 6 months ago, but I'm not sure. I got Dry (the follow up) the other week ago. I have a few weeks before classes start, so I'm hoping to have time to read it.
    Dry is really good. Then try to read Magical Thinking. It's a book of short stories and it's great. I find his books pretty easy reading, so you should have time to read it before school starts again. I've been trying to get Sellevision from the library, but haven't had any luck. Maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Dry is really good. Then try to read Magical Thinking. It's a book of short stories and it's great. I find his books pretty easy reading, so you should have time to read it before school starts again. I've been trying to get Sellevision from the library, but haven't had any luck. Maybe next time.
    Unfortunately, Didion will have to wait until summer or when I can get it used/in paperback. I can't afford new hardcovers and my library doesn't have it yet. Plus, I only have a few more weeks until spring semester, so I'm being very selective. I have a stack of about 10 books to get done between now and the 23rd

I finished A Perfect Red tonight and highly recommend it to those interested in cultural history. I learned so much and it's a subject (textiles, dyes and trade) that touches on so many aspects of Western history.

I'm getting ready to start Honeymoon With My Brother by Frank Wisner. It's my mother's copy and I have to finish it before I go home this week - it's signed, so I don't want to borrow it. The story is basically this: This guy's fiancee dumps him a few days before the wedding, so he has the "wedding" without her and then goes on the honeymoon to Costa Rica with his brother. According to the book jacket, both brothers realize that their priorities were all backwards, so they quit their jobs, sell their homes, give their belongings away and then take off to travel around the world for several years. My mother went to a reading with both brothers and said that they were hilarious.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

RosesKid, I finished Marley and Me a few days ago and got to the end of it while riding in the car, the husband at the wheel. He kept an eye on me to see if I would cry...I'm glad I managed not to do so. My trick was to stop often and gather my composure
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

+ Reply to Thread