+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann View Post
    for you, Critical, buying something fun to read. I really enjoyed The Nanny Diaries. I just looove books that I don't have to think about, just plowing right through to the end while sitting on the couch with my feet up, eating m&m's and drinking a Diet Coke.
    Of course, in my case it will be Diet Coke and Peanut Butter Hershey's Kisses!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere View Post
    I just finished reading A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. Its about his trip through rehab after being severely addicted to drugs and alcohol. It was a good read. To counter balance the kicking a drug and alcohol habit I'm now rereading fear and Loathing in Las Vegas By Hunter S. Thompson.

I will have to get A Million Little Pieces- I had heard about it before, but then forgot. Thanks for reminding me. On that note, I have been reading the memoirs by Augusten Burroughs. I know he has been brought up in this thread before, but his first memoir Running With Scissors was really good. I just got done with Dry (about his rehab and stuff) and now I am reading Magical Thinking. This book is a bunch of short true stories by AB. I like his writing style and I find his humor really funny- I laugh quite a bit while reading. I still have to check out Sellivision though. I would recommend to anyone who hasn't read his books to start with Running, then go to Dry and then Magical Thinking. I think you need his background and history to appreciate Magical Thinking- or else you might not *get* his stories.

With my essay finally finished and turned in, I now get to indulge in a few weeks of precious voluntary reading. To get me in the holiday spirit, I've read Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg, a sweet and touching fairy tale-like story about love, hope and change around Christmas. The Ebenezer Scrooges and Grinches of the world should avoid it, but if you're into slightly sappy but redeeming stories with a holiday theme, do read it.

Right now I'm reading Crow Lake by Mary Lawson. I started it in bed earlier this morning and it was so engrossing not even my dire need for caffeine - or indeed a full bladder (sorry if I'm over-sharing, but it goes to show just how much I was sucked into the story) - managed to get me out of bed. I'm less than a hundred pages in, but it strikes me as a beautifully written, atmospheric novel with a similar feel to the novels of Ann-Marie McDonald or Carol Goodman. Right up my alley. Thanks for mentioning the novel in this thread, GrumpyGills. If you hadn't, I probably would have walked right by this gem of a novel.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    I've read Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg, a sweet and touching fairy tale-like story about love, hope and change around Christmas.
    Ms. Flagg's most well-known novel is, arguably, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, a book based on an eatery, oh, five miles from where I live in Alabama!

I met her when she did a signing for one of her books. Nice woman. I'm glad you liked her Redbird Christmas.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I just finished reading Mary Mary by James Patterson, his newest Alex Cross novel. I enjoy that series, and one thing I like about James Patterson is that the chapters are so short, it makes reading so easy lol. However, I think he is at a crossroad with the Alex Cross stuff and needs to find a new direction to go.

Going to start Patricia Cornwell's Predator this week sometime, just gotta get it from my mom. Supposedly it is good, and I hope so because the last book in that series didn't end well for me.

1876 by Gore Vidal

A novel, written in the first person by an American writer returning to the US after living in Europe for 35 years. He has returned to the US for the centennial year celebrations. I find the narrator to be a rather dull character. I hope the book picks up a bit when he travels outside of New York City (and interacts with some famous people like Ulysses S Grant).

I just took some time off from reading The Historian to polish off The Nanny Diaries - I finished it in a day and stayed up late to do it! It felt so decadent. Dinahann - I loved it too! The part where she is giving her "speech" to the "bear" at the end had me in stitches! Even though it's fiction, I'll bet some of the former bosses of the authors recognized themselves... or maybe not. They might just be so oblivious that they wouldn't get it!

I have lots of books waiting for me at my parents' house (where I'm driving tomorrow for the holidays). I can hardly wait to dig into some recreational reading before I head back into the world of academia in just over a month.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oh, Critical, I know all too well how lovely it is to be able to read for pleasure for a change Most of my required course work consists of fiction, though, and mostly GREAT fiction, so I really shouldn't complain. Having said that, there is something almost magical about reading a book you chose to read because you felt like it. Glad to hear you liked The Nanny Diaries - I've been on the lookout for something fun and lighthearted to read over Christmas, and this sounds something I would enjoy.

As for me, I just finished Crow Lake - beautiful novel. I'll definitely keep an eye out for any new releases from Mary Lawson. Since I'm a sucker for anything Christmas-y, I spent last night curled up in bed reading The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha Christie. I love Christie and I lurve stories with a holiday theme, so it doesn't get much better than that. Very conservative and old-fashioned, of course, but that's part of Christie's appeal. I can't get enough of old country houses, stiff-upper-lipped Colonels and afternoon tea. And all that old-fashioned Christmas food made me hungry!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Who Wrote the New Testament? (the Making of the Christian Myth) by Burton L. Mack.
    This isn't really what I expected, but it is interesting. It is also extremely difficult to read; I almost have to read every sentence twice. I don't want to go into detail about what the book is about because I don't want to start an argument about religion. I am only reading the book, I didn't write it.

I've been so busy preparing for Christmas, I haven't had much opportunity for reading, so I've still got about 100 page left of A Million Little Pieces, and I've got Teacher Man waiting in the wings. But I wanted to share a present I got from Lil Rose for Christmas:

From Publishers Weekly
    Labrador retrievers are generally considered even-tempered, calm and reliable;and then there's Marley, the subject of this delightful tribute to one Lab who doesn't fit the mold. Grogan, a columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer, and his wife, Jenny, were newly married and living in West Palm Beach when they decided that owning a dog would give them a foretaste of the parenthood they anticipated. Marley was a sweet, affectionate puppy who grew into a lovably naughty, hyperactive dog. With a light touch, the author details how Marley was kicked out of obedience school after humiliating his instructor (whom Grogan calls Miss Dominatrix) and swallowed an 18-karat solid gold necklace (Grogan describes his gross but hilarious "recovery operation"). With the arrival of children in the family, Marley became so incorrigible that Jenny, stressed out by a new baby, ordered her husband to get rid of him; she eventually recovered her equilibrium and relented. Grogan's chronicle of the adventures parents and children (eventually three) enjoyed with the overly energetic but endearing dog is delivered with great humor. Dog lovers will love this account of Grogan's much loved canine.
    We've got a lab mix (who looks like the dog on the book cover) who was extremely naughty until about six months ago, so I'm looking forward to this light read.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread