+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    I do enjoy Ann Rule ( true crime ) and I tried to red the ammityville horror ( snore ). My dad bought me Mary Shelly's Frankenstein but I couldn't pay enough attention to it to keep up. With the 2 boys running around it's hard to concentrate. In romance novels the general plot is always the same so there is no thinking involved.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, so far so good

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

I just started rereading Dodsworth for about the twentieth time. I know exactly what's coming, but damn, it is such a good book.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Crow Lake by Mary Lawson
    It was beautifully written.

Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky

And when I need a break with something lighter ....
    Dostoevsky certainly is a heavy read. We had to read "underground man" for personality psych. My prof was very much in love with all of the psychological applications that novel had. I found that novel not too terribly difficult to read, but i've also heard that's one of his easiest novels to read. have you read it? and if you have, is that true?

Tree. A biography by David Suzuki.
    home at last

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    Dostoevsky certainly is a heavy read. We had to read "underground man" for personality psych. My prof was very much in love with all of the psychological applications that novel had. I found that novel not too terribly difficult to read, but i've also heard that's one of his easiest novels to read. have you read it? and if you have, is that true?
    Underground is one Dostoyevsky's books that I have not read. I did read Crime and Punishment for a Humanities course at university. One of the few decent essays I wrote in university was about it. My professor loved making us read long books and then analyzing the heck out of about 10 pages of the book.
    What made me think about picking up The Idiot was while I was reading a dreadful book about the history of the Inquisition. As the book was by the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail I should have known better. Anyway they kept referring to the story of the Grand Inquisitor in the Brothers Karamazov. Since I had already read Karamazov, albeit many years ago, I thought that I would go for something that I have not alread read.
    Reading any of his books definitely takes a bit of concentration, if only to keep the characters straight, but that was what I was looking for after reading too many mysteries.

I found it really bothersome at first with "underground man" that the main character didn't have a name!

It's really a good look into the more negative of human qualities.

Since my last final was yesterday, I have a whole 5 weeks to read whatever I want

Last night I started Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian and am enjoying it so far - only about 50 pages in, so it's still a lot of expository stuff. This afternoon I bought The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus because I feel the need to read something frivolous that has no socially redeeming value!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    This afternoon I bought The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus because I feel the need to read something frivolous that has no socially redeeming value!
    for you, Critical, buying something fun to read. I really enjoyed The Nanny Diaries. I just looove books that I don't have to think about, just plowing right through to the end while sitting on the couch with my feet up, eating m&m's and drinking a Diet Coke.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread