+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I've just finished Planet Simpson by Chris Turner. If you're a Simpson fan, like me, you'll probably enjoy this book very much. The next book I will pick up is Dangerous Liaisons, I love the movie and if movies are adaptions of books I enjoy the book more, so I'm looking forward to it.

For one of my english classes we had to read "not wanted on the voyage" by timothy findley. The novel absolutely infuriated me because of just how awful Noah was. However, i also thought it was an incredibly well written nove. It spins the tale of Noah and the Ark and puts a perspective on what happens between what's not written in the bible.

for example, the novel starts off "and noah went in, and his sons, and his wige and his sons' wives with him into the ark because of the waters of the flood... Everyone knows it wasn't like that. To begin with, they make it sound as if there wasn't any argument; as if there wasn't any panic--no one being pushed aside....Presumably everyone elese stood off waving gaily behind a distant barricade: spectators will not cross the yellow line and thank you for your cooperation"

giz
    I love Timothy Findley. I especially liked Famous Last Words and would highly recommend it.

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky

And when I need a break with something lighter I read a chapter or two from Lethal by Shari Shattuck

I've started The Time Traveler's Wife. After I'm done with that, I've got a couple of John Irving novels to relax with in between the holiday preparations.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm about halfway through A Million Little Pieces, by James Frey, and next up is Frank McCourt's most recent book, Teacher Man. I adore Frank McCourt's writing style, and I can't wait to crack that baby open.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Continuing my recent crime fetisch, I'm currently reading Black Fly Season by Giles Blunt. Well-written, nicely paced stuff with relatable characters and atmospheric settings. I've been strictly forbidden by my loved ones to even go near a book store before Christmas, so I spend most of my time dreaming of all the lovely books I'll get to read during my much too short break from uni.

AJane, I suddenly feel like reading some John Irving too! Have you read his most recent novel, Until I Find You? I had a look at it in a book store, but the sheer weight of it overwhelmed me. I think I'll wait for it to come out in paperback. Besides, it hasn't exactly received rave reviews, has it? (Not that it necessarily means anything.)
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Geek...I love John Irving. But I can't afford new release hardcovers. So I will have to patiently wait until the paperback - I probably won't be able to hold out until the library gets it. I think the reviews for A Widow for One Year were pretty sad too, were they not? And I loved that book.

I've got The Fourth Hand and The Hotel New Hampshire on deck after Time Traveler's Wife. And a whole pile of stuff on hold at the library - I'm reading when I should be wrapping presents or baking.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    I feel so dumb I read mostly romance novels. I love Emerson, Sylvia Plath and heavier stuff but cannot find the energy to think that much anymore.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

I just finished reading A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. Its about his trip through rehab after being severely addicted to drugs and alcohol. It was a good read. To counter balance the kicking a drug and alcohol habit I'm now rereading fear and Loathing in Las Vegas By Hunter S. Thompson.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

+ Reply to Thread