+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Invisible Writer: A Biography of Joyce Carol Oates by Greg Johnson. I just started it earlier today, but it appears to be a well-written, engaging and intelligent portrait of one of my favourite contemporary authors. I've been so busy with fiction for the last couple of months that I thought it was time to read something non-fictional.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

FORT Fan
    Stayed up last night to finish The Time Traveler's Wife. Definitely a can't-put-it-down read. Although the sex parts did make me a bit uncomfortable - maybe a little too much description.

I just ordered "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer on the weekend and can't wait to get it

A Series Of Unfortunate Events: Book 5. I love these books.
    Strokes Concert: 3/21/06
    "What do you mean we walked around dressed like girls? We walked around in our own clothes, they just happened to be dresses." -Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)

giz
    I've just started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I'm not a big fantasy reader, but so far it's really captivating.

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    I've just started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I'm not a big fantasy reader, but so far it's really captivating.
    I read that last year. I couldn't put it down (it weighs ALOT ). It's brilliant, enjoy!

I'm reading Wrack by James Bradley. It's a murder-mystery, so far so good...

I just finished "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfeild. I really, really enjoyed it. It did remind me of high-school drama. Really captures boarding school.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    I just finished "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfeild. I really, really enjoyed it. It did remind me of high-school drama. Really captures boarding school.
    I've had this book for ages, beerbelly, and haven't gotten around to it. That's fairly typical of my book-buying habits, though. So it was good? Must get around to it.

giz - I loved Jonathan Strange. Grumpy's right though - it does weight a ton. Be careful.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

beerbelly and CCL, I've had Prep on my "to read" list for what feels like ages now. It's going right up on my Christmas wish list. Same with Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell. I'll have about three weeks off from uni this Christmas, and I'll spend that time... reading. Which might seem like a weird choice since I'm a lit major, but this way I'll get to read books I've actually chosen myself. Bliss.

What with me being buried with essay work and all, I'm on a strict "all crime" diet for the time being It's nice to escape from all the hard work with something riveting. Right now I'm reading Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter. She's been compared to Patricia Cornwell, which is probably inevitable since her heroine is a pediatrician/coronary. Sara Linton is much more likeable than Kay Scarpetta, though. So far, I'm liking it. Some of the details are almost too gruesome to process, but the characters are very real and sympathetic. Good plotting too. Since I'm apparently a jackass, I've already read the following book in the Linton series, Kisscut. (I found it on sale in a book store last year and didn't realize it was number two in an ongoing series. D'oh!) It's even gorier than this one, but equally good.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

giz
    So far so good with Jonathan Strange. I'd been warned that the language was somewhat archaic, but I haven't noticed. I remember taking about 50 pages to get into George Elliot, then I loved her, but with this I'm getting the hang of the style straight away. I love the idea of magic continuiing in Britain. I took a course in Uni, which was taught by a husband and wife team who were Christian, on medieval England. I asked a few times how much of a veneer Christianity was on a pagan country (as they kept banging on about the church's influence), but they didn't want to hear it. When I'm in Britain I feel how ancient the connection to the land and the seasons are. (I feel quite divorced from this in Canada as the wild areas are way too wild - too big, too many carnivores). I'm enjoying the book exploring the skull beneath the skin.

I've heard people say the characters are Dickensian, but so far I'm finding them more Austinian.

+ Reply to Thread