+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Misquoting Jesus - the Story Behind Who Changed th Bible and Why - by Bart. D. Ehrman

The book is about ancient manuscripts of the New Testament and the diiferences found in them and the scribes who copied the texts and sometimes changed them (sometimes deliberately, sometimes not).

I've been on a reading spree lately. Twilight, a wonderful, wonderful read (I can't wait for the next book), The Colorado Kid by Stephen King (engrossing but too short) and Patricia Cornwell's Predator (just so-so).

And now, look up in the sky and you'll see donkeys flying. I've just picked up Bret Easton Ellis' Lunar Park, after I said I would never, never read another of his books. American Psycho was so disturbing it gave me nightmares, and here I am again. But seriously, this looks different from his earlier books. It's a fictionalized account of his life post American Psycho. We'll see.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    Well, just received Geek Love from half.com so I will start with that and read Twilight once I receive it.
    Oooh! Geek Love is one of my favorite books of all time! I might just re-read again now that you've mentioned it. It's an amazing story about a man and woman who run a circus that intentionally create mal-formed children to star in their freak show - and it's not at all as horrible as it sounds. If you haven't read it, give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Lisey's Story: "Stephen King has written a magnificent novel very much in the mainstream of his work, about love, marriage, blood ties, and madness which calls to mind Gloria Naylorís description of 'Bag of Bones': Ďa love story about the dark places within us allí."
    In the last McSweeney's compilation (Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories), King had an awesome short story called "Lisey and the Madman". It must be the same character...or at least I hope so. It seemed to be slightly auto-biographical, and Lisey is modelled on his wife, Tabitha. I look forward to both of his new books!
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    And now, look up in the sky and you'll see donkeys flying. I've just picked up Bret Easton Ellis' Lunar Park, after I said I would never, never read another of his books. American Psycho was so disturbing it gave me nightmares, and here I am again. But seriously, this looks different from his earlier books. It's a fictionalized account of his life post American Psycho. We'll see.
    *marvels at the flying donkeys*

How are you liking it so far, Dinahann? I read Lunar Park upon its release a couple of months ago and found it to be Ellis' most mature and eloquent work yet. Mind you, it's still trademark Ellis and you're in for a few major plot twists - all of a sudden it's a very fictionalized account of his life post American Psycho. Still, it's definitely less graphic than his earlier novels and the violence that does take place is mostly of a supernatural nature. Do let me know how you like it.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I should be studying, but I've been reading fiction instead. I can't help it that I'm just now getting the books I reserved at the library back in August, can I?

The Big Over Easy - Jack and Mary are no Thursday Next, but I enjoyed this anyway. Humpty Dumpty as a ladies' man.

The Da Vinci Code - I'm the last person in the universe to read this. The story was just OK - and at times, a little silly - but the research that went into the background of the Prioy of Sion and the Grail story was phenomenal. I hear Tom Hanks is to star in the movie version - kind of disappointing. I pictured Robert Langdon as a Russell Crowe kind of guy.

The Closers - I've just started this - I don't usually care for the thriller genre, and this isn't doing anything to change my mind, so far. But it's still more interesting than the very boring coursework I have to do for my job.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJane - you really are the last person on earth to read The Da Vinci Code! Now I can stop teasing my fiancť for being a Da Vinci Code virgin up until a month ago. I didn't think much of the book, personally. I did like The Closers, though, and I have a feeling that you'll enjoy it more when the pace picks up a bit. But then again, I love everything Connelly.

Just finished Shadows Divers: very good
    Just starting Wrack: looks promising

I just borrowed Derailed from a friend. I can't wait to get started. I'm thinking I'll see the movie first though. Anytime I read a book first, the movie can doesn't meet my expectations. I also need to finish Cornwell's Predator first. I've been so swamped that I haven't picked it up in almost a week!

ETA : My 1000th post...
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    *marvels at the flying donkeys*

How are you liking it so far, Dinahann? I read Lunar Park upon its release a couple of months ago and found it to be Ellis' most mature and eloquent work yet. Mind you, it's still trademark Ellis and you're in for a few major plot twists - all of a sudden it's a very fictionalized account of his life post American Psycho. Still, it's definitely less graphic than his earlier novels and the violence that does take place is mostly of a supernatural nature. Do let me know how you like it.
    Thanks for asking, geek the girl. Ellis has certainly grown as a writer since Less Than Zero, and although this book wasn't as disturbing as Psycho, there was such an element of sadness to it that it almost took my breath away.

He's a brilliant writer, no doubt about it. Still not my cup of tea, exactly, but I can pay homage to his style. All in all a very worthwhile read; I would recommend it to anyone on the fence about reading a new Ellis book after his earlier efforts. IMO he's now lived up to his hype.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    He's a brilliant writer, no doubt about it. Still not my cup of tea, exactly, but I can pay homage to his style. All in all a very worthwhile read; I would recommend it to anyone on the fence about reading a new Ellis book after his earlier efforts. IMO he's now lived up to his hype.
    So glad the book made you change your mind about Ellis. I agree wholeheartedly; as far as style goes, he's one of the most gifted contemporary writers out there. As a total X-Files geek, I loved the fact that David Duchovny showed up at his Halloween party! I know Ellis has been criticized in the past for his namedropping, but I like it, personally.

I finished Predator, the latest Scarpetta novel, last night. I'd have to agree with your "just so-so" comment, Dinahann. First of all, it's yet another Scarpetta novel written in the third person. (If anyone should be interested in my stand on this change of narrative, which first took place in Blow Fly, just browse back thirty or so pages in this thread. Basically, I don't like it. At all.) While this certainly opens up new possibilities for the other, previously more secondary, characters, I don't think Cornwell uses the third person to its advantage. As it is now, the story as a whole becomes sketchy and all over the place, and Scarpetta is much more unbearable from an outsider's point of view than she is when she gets to narrate the story herself. The plot was okay, though; certainly more absorbing and thrilling - and, yay!, more gory and cringe-worthy - than the last couple of books. The ending pretty much screams for a direct continuation, Black Notice/The Last Precinct style. I'll probably throw myself at the next book in the series, although the odds of Cornwell giving us another Postmortem or Cruel and Unusual are almost minuscule.

In other news: I'm still reading Bellefleur by the lovely Joyce Carol Oates. It's a book best enjoyed in small bits, since the sheer size of the prose (sentences that go on for over a page, excessive use of hyphens and semi-colons) can be a bit too overbearing if you wolf it all down. I love it so far, though: a great, great novel in a captivating mock-Gothic tradition. I'll write more when I eventually finish it.

+ Reply to Thread