+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I read the Divine Comedy years ago (in an annotated version so I would know who was who, although constantly looking at footnotes kind of wrecks the flow). Inferno is definitely the most interesting and I bet it was a lot of fun to write - if you are a writer what better use for your writing skills than to devise eternal torments for your enemies? I would think that it would also be difficult to find a really interesting way to describe Paradise. The whole thing is quite a work of imagination and to write it in verse is quite an achievement.
    I am certainly going to look for The Dante Club.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    I believe this book was also made into a movie that was shown recently on cable. I don't recall which channel, but it was either Oxygen or Lifetime, if I can find it I'll post. I just did an imdb search, it was a movie from 1996 with Anne Bancroft.

If you can find something, please post!
    Everyone Loves A Spicy Latina !!!

Quote Originally Posted by spicy latina49
    If you can find something, please post!
    Movie was made in 1996 called Homecoming starring Anne Bancroft as the grandmother. was on recently but might be available to either buy or rent.

I'm reading Angels & Demons, which seems to be a doppleganger to DaVinci code. Same plot themes, same character types, same unknown villian, same damsel in distress with a murdered older male relative, same Dan Brown.

Geek, I really enjoyed The Dante Club. Very smart, yet accessible read. And for the rest of you, no, you don't have to have actually read "The Divine Comedy" to enjoy it, although I'm sure I missed some things because I hadn't.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    Movie was made in 1996 called Homecoming starring Anne Bancroft as the grandmother. was on recently but might be available to either buy or rent.

Thanx for the info!
    Everyone Loves A Spicy Latina !!!

A few of my late summer, early fall reads...............

Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee - love the coming of age story with the precocious female antagonist

Old School - first encounter with Tobias Wolff - clean prose, almost sentimental - really enjoyed it

Sea Glass - an Anita Shreve I missed! very good

Wedding in December - newest Anita Shreve - I love most everything she writes - don't always love the story but love the writing (with the exception of Light on Snow - ack!)

The Bark of the Dogwood by Jackson Tippett McCrae - wow, what a book! Laughed and cried!

A Heart of Stone - Renate Dorrestein - translated from Dutch (and beautifully translated I must say) - haunting and heartbreaking but in that exquisite way you can't turn away from.

Currently reading Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult. Really enjoyed My Sister's Keeper, the only other title I've read by her. Couldn't take a steady diet of her but nice for the occasional quickie read!

I'm reading Princesses, The six daughters of George III by Flora Fraser.

I'm finding it very interesting, it looks at their letters and what was written about them as well as gossip. It also talks about George III insanity or medical illness and spelucates what that was. If you like English history, or I like history about women's lives it's a good read.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

giz
    I'm reading A Radical Line by Thai Jones. It's the biography of two radical families, one Communist, one which produced a Weather Underground member. The writing is a little too this happened and then this happened, but if you're interested in radical American history, it's important to read this. I would like something that focuses a little more on the psychology of being able to make that break: why do some people cross that line into illegal action and some do not? No-one ever addresses it fully.

For my birthday I got an on-line gift certificate to Powells books in Oregon (great used bookshop). I'm compiling my list now. I want Tales of Hoffman, Forsythe Saga, Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell and ...? I'm thinking of John Cowper Powys, has anyone read him? I haven't so I'm not sure if I should take the plunge.

giz- Powells Books is my all time favorite bookstore. We are up in Oregon 3-4 times a year and always take time out to spend at Powells. Of course, a few hours really isn't enough with their AMAZING selection. I dream of moving to Portland and having Powells just a few minutes from home. Have fun shopping!

Regarding my current reading, I decided to re-read "Shopgirl" by Steve Martin. I read it way back when it was first released and finished it in a few hours. Now that the movie is coming out, I thought it was time to pick it up for a second time.

+ Reply to Thread