+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 713 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117517 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fan
    I am about 100 pages into "Cathedral" by Nelson Demille. I am really enjoying it. I just visited New York City a couple of weeks ago and made it a point to visit St. Patrick's Cathedral in anticipation of reading this book.

Now I recognize the streets and avenues, and some of the buildings and it is so much fun remembering that I just there!

I just got done reading "Cold Sassy Tree" and I can't remember who wrote it. I loved it, read it in two nights. Now trying to think of something else to read. Oh well, gotta go to the libary and see what may be there.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    To nlmcp: "Snow Falling on Cedars" is overrated, IMO. But it is a beautiful read nonetheless. I would suggest you stick with it - be patient.
    I finally finished it. The only part of the book I liked was the last 30 or so pages. I guess it just wasn't my style of book, I must like things more liner in presentation.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Just started John Irving's "A Widow For One Year", due mainly because of all the great reviews here.

I'll give you some feedback once I get a little more into it
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Jewelsy, sorry to be nosy, tell me to butt out if you want. But I was intrigued that you still read, and I wondered how you accomplish that without driving yourself crazy. Do you get e-books and use the magnifier thing on the computer, or do you use a page magnifier, or do you get books on tape?

Seems like BoT would be the easiest solution...

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Jewelsy, sorry to be nosy, tell me to butt out if you want. But I was intrigued that you still read, and I wondered how you accomplish that without driving yourself crazy. Do you get e-books and use the magnifier thing on the computer, or do you use a page magnifier, or do you get books on tape?

Seems like BoT would be the easiest solution...
    I don't really "read", I listem to something called "talking books". It's a federally funded program. Almost every single book (and magazines, periodicals, etc.) are recorded, either through The Library Of Congress or other sources. You receives the tapes by mail. The cassettes are relaly cool. They look like a regular cassette, but each cassette has 4 sides. There is a special tape player that I use.

I also gets books on tape and CD from the library and the Blind Center here in Santa Cruz.

That IS pretty neat. 4-sided cassette tapes? Sounds like a typical government thing to do...

Who makes those?

Quote Originally Posted by John
    That IS pretty neat. 4-sided cassette tapes? Sounds like a typical government thing to do...
    “You know this is a one-way street?”
    “I was only going one way!”

Jewelsy, my nephew who is dyslexic uses talking books too. It's not exactly a tape player, right? It has more features and is navigable. I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing.

He went to a conference and met some of the people who had recorded books. They were all volunteers.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Jewelsy, my nephew who is dyslexic uses talking books too. It's not exactly a tape player, right? It has more features and is navigable. I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing.

He went to a conference and met some of the people who had recorded books. They were all volunteers.
    Yep, they're all volunteers. It probably is the same thing. The recorder is rather large, has different switches (plays either side 1 and 2, or 3 and 4), LARGE buttons for FF, REW, etc. It is a great program. I don't know what I'd do without it, as it's difficult to have someone take me to the library, read me the titles, etc. This way I can go online, use my magnification software, and read what's available, and put it on a "que" (kinda like Netflix). . They have "People" magazine, "Newsweek" and even "Playboy"!.

+ Reply to Thread