+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I just started "Predator" by Patricia Cornwell. I'm only two chapters in and I can say it's as good as the rest!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago
    I just started "Predator" by Patricia Cornwell. I'm only two chapters in and I can say it's as good as the rest!
    It's out already? I must make sure to pick it up. Glad to hear you're liking it so far - I've been somewhat disappointed with her two last books.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago
    I should be getting my copy any day. I ordered it through a book club and they mailed it on the 24th. I'm not giving up on Dr. Scarpetta yet, although I haven't been as interested in the last couple of books either.

I bought The Colorado Kid by Stephen King yesterday at Hastings. It looks like an easy read - I'll probably read it tomorrow.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I sure hope it doesn't disappoint! If you're interested, her website is pretty cool.
    www.patriciacornwell.com

There's a really good preview of the book and a forensic challenge you can take! You watch a clip of a crime taking place and then answer questions.
    Last edited by lildago; 10-29-2005 at 11:36 AM.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Scooped up an armful of reading material again:

-Pattern Recognition by William Gibson, for my biannual dose of cyberpunk. I don't know why I bother, since I never finish my Gibson novels (Neuromancer and All Tomorrow's Parties stare at me accusingly from the bookshelf whenever I walk by.), but hope springs eternal.

-The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

-The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
    Yeah, yeah--ahead of the movie, and all that. Fantasy, in general, tends to make me fairly (okay, very) nauseous, but I've read (and really enjoyed) The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe but not the other six books in the Chronicles.

-Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso ("The Divine Comedy") by Dante Alighieri
    From my "always meant to read the whole thing" list...

And in preparation to dive into these, I started (and finished ) my copy of Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys today. Good, good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    I keep meaning to read something by Philip Roth. Maybe this [ETA: The Plot Against America] is a good place to start? According to the pre-Nobel buzz in Swedish newspapers, he's one of the frontrunners to this year's Nobel Prize in Literature.
    Sorry to let this go unreplied so long, geek the girl.

This was my first Roth novel, and, you know, when I finally finished it, I couldn't put my finger on why it had attracted the attention it had. The writing is fine, and I was entertained, but I couldn't see what was so spectacular about it. I found it a thinly-veiled, sometimes shrill, jab at the Bush Administration.
    Last edited by phat32; 10-30-2005 at 12:50 AM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Twilight

I knew it would be huge

Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...335345-2155316

Amazon's editors have named Twilight the Number One Books For Teens OF THE DECADE (so far .) A big fat congradulations our FORT superstar author! .

ETA: I reading it for the third time now! There are so many subtles details I missed, and it's as suspensefull the third time as it was the first !!

I finally finished The Wretched of the Earth On to more interesting assigned reading. Up next is Forster's A Passage to India, which I bought over the summer to read for pleasure and never got around to reading. Now I get to read it for a class. I love it when that happens!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    Is that a young adult book? Sounds familiar...

Depends on what you meen by "young adault". It's about a mom who abandens her 4 children (the oldest being 13) in a car outside of a shopping center, and about their struggle for survival as they head twords their aunt's house. FICTION (Thank God)
    Everyone Loves A Spicy Latina !!!

I believe this book was also made into a movie that was shown recently on cable. I don't recall which channel, but it was either Oxygen or Lifetime, if I can find it I'll post. I just did an imdb search, it was a movie from 1996 with Anne Bancroft.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Scooped up an armful of reading material again:

-The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
    After seeing an interview with Joan Didion on TV, this is a must read for me. Of course, given my workload, it'll probably be on my wishlist for Christmas... In the meantime, let me know how you like it.

-Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso ("The Divine Comedy") by Dante Alighieri
    Ooh, ambitious! Not to worry, though: I'm pretty confident you'll really, really enjoy this. I've read almost the whole thing - all of Inferno and most of Purgatorio and Paradiso - for school and I was absolutely intrigued by it. A very challenging but worthwhile read. I hear the new(ish) translation is both accessible and beautiful. Are you surprised to learn that I much preferred the sometimes semi-unbearable goriness of Inferno to the sacral, joyous beauty of Paradiso? (Nope, me neither.) Good luck on your journey to hell and back! I can almost guarantee it will be a thrilling one.

When you've safely returned to Earth, may I suggest you pick up a Dante-related but much lighter book? The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl is one of the best, most unusual and eloquent crime novels I've read this year, and it makes a whole lot more sense once you've read The Divine Comedy. It takes place in 19th century Boston, where a gruesome killer copies even more gruesome scenes from Inferno. Enter a few Dante scholars, and you're in for a very exciting read.

+ Reply to Thread