+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I'm currently devouring (pun intended) Kitchen confidential. I'm a big fan of Anthony Bourdain's cooking show "A cook's tour" and if you like his persona, this book does not disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    I am reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd.

Really liking it so far and hopefully I will like the ending.
    Oooh, let me know how you like it! I LOVED The Secret Life of Bees and have high hopes for this one. I think I'll wait for the paperback though.

have any of you ever read the book "Homecoming"?

Is that a young adult book? Sounds familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose
    I'm currently devouring (pun intended) Kitchen confidential. I'm a big fan of Anthony Bourdain's cooking show "A cook's tour" and if you like his persona, this book does not disappoint.
    Loved that book. He also has a new show on Travel channel called "No Reservations". It's better than Cooks Tour, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    Well, just received Geek Love from half.com so I will start with that and read Twilight once I receive it.
    I loved Geek Love, DJeterFan! I read it maybe ten years ago and still remember lines from it. So odd and quirky and yet still relatable... even with the human mermaids and albino dwarfs!

I'm slogging through Frantz Fanon's The Wretched of the Earth. It is for a class. It is long. It is not entertaining.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Atonement by Ian McEwen

Monster - Frank Peretti
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I read this a little while ago, but can't stop thinking about it and how have to buy it because I will read it again. "We Need to Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver. At the same time I read "Down to This" by Shaughnessy Bishop-Stahl . It's a fascinating autobiographical book by a man who lived in Tent City for the year before it was torn down. Gonna have to buy that one too. Ooh yeah, "Rivethead", Ben Hamper - great book by a guy who worked on the Detroit line - howlingly funny at times.
    Last edited by Rattus; 10-28-2005 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Finally remembered author's name.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Martha Inc. by Christopher Byron.
    I really had no interest in Martha Stewart before seeing her version of the Apprentice. She seemed rather personable on the show, which is far from the image I had of her. I suppose that anyone can seem friendly when they want to. Assuming that at least some of the stories in Martha Inc. are true then Martha Stewart is a very nasty person. Perhaps she had to be to get where she is, but it seems very hard on at least some of the people who thought of her as a friend. While admiring the business person, it seems difficult to actually like her.

I am also reading Food for the Fishes by David Wishart, a ancient roman mystery. These roman novels are kind of like my junk food; there for me to snack on in between meals. Wishart's books are getting to be a little too farcical, as if they are sit-coms that just happens to take place in ancient Rome.

+ Reply to Thread