+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Reading Florida Straits by Laurence Shames who I think someone on here mentioned.

So far so good.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

The Tailor of Panama by John le Carre.
    I haven't yet decided whether I like it or not, but it does have an interesting locale.

giz
    There was a good film of The Tailor of Panama with Geoffrey Rush and Pierce Brosnan. Interesting seeing Brosnan playing sleazy. I didn't realise there was Another version of Mansfield Park! Whew.

I'm reading a book about Henry Darger, the Chicago artist/Janitor/recluse. It's fascinating stuff, and his work (art and writing) is both naive and complex. An amazing ouvre involving beautifully traced and coloured and collaged epic stories about a war against child slavery. I got interested after watching the PBS documentary, so if anyone's interested they can view that.

I also just finished Waxwings by Jonathon Raban. Not sure what I think of it. It comes across as a little autobiographical at times, which was discomfitting. Overall good, and a very good portrait of Seattle and the Pacific Northwest.

I finished The Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie the other day. An intriguing read: a page-turning plot filled with magic realism and bizarre little twists, a memorable main character and beautiful, playful use of language. It was a course-related assignment, but an immensely enjoyable one. I'm definitely curious to read more of Salman Rushdie.

I'm two thirds into Beloved by Toni Morrison, another mandatory but lovely read. Has anybody read this? I have to say it's one of the most moving and original books I've ever read. Amazing stuff. I started it this morning and will probably finish it tonight: it's that powerful a book. I couldn't put it down.

Still on my bedside table, begging to be finished: The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster. I read it whenever I get the chance (as in: whenever I don't feel too bad about neglecting the books I really ought to be reading) which is very frustrating, since I'm DYING to gulp it down. Judging by what I've read so far, this is another winner from Mr Auster. In spite of the first line - "I was looking for a quiet place to die" - it strikes me as a bit more light-hearted than his previous work. Still, all is alive and well in Austerland: plenty of stories within the stories, quirky Brooklyn residents and a lovely use of language, comme d'habitude. For some inexplicable reason, it won't be released in the U.S. until after Christmas, whereas I (living in Sweden) had no problem getting my greedy hands on a hardcover copy in English. I guess it's being released earlier in the U.K.?

Next on my "mandatory but enjoyable" list: Tracks by Louise Erdrich. Anyone read it?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Btw, the storyline grabbed me from the first paragraph, and I haven't been able to put it down since.

I read the book, Twilight, in a day and a half, and that's because I started reading it at 9pm at night. If I had started earlier, I probably would've finished on one day.

Very good story. I loved it, and highly recommend this book. Stephenie Meyers rocks!

giz
    I've started Pepys diary. It's so darn long, I'd better log off and read some more. He's quite funny, and it's comforting to read. I love that human nature hasn't changed much in almost 350-odd years.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arther Golden

I was reading Mansfield Park, but then I received a copy of Twilight in a mail from a wonderful Fort buddy! Needless to say, once I started it, I couldn't put it down! I'm so proud of my fellow Forter! I can hardly wait until the next installment!

Now I'm on to less "fun" reading with Anne Moody's Coming of Age in Mississippi, which is for a course, but doesn't feel like it (the best kind of required reading!). I figure Jane Austen will understand. I'll get back to Mansfield Park soon.... not like I haven't read it 5 times or anything!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lonelyguy82
    I'm reading a book called "90 minutes in Heaven". I bought it from Wal-Mart. I've always wondering what it's like to be in Heaven and well, after few first chapters, it sounds so dreamy and blissfully. Also It's supposedly to be a true story.

This story is about a man who got into a traffic accident and went to Heaven after he died for 90 minutes, and then he came back. Not only that, it changed him forever, physcially, mentally and spiritally. Everyone wants him to live but he doesn't really want to live, not after what he saw in Heaven. It's only seems so cruel to go back to his broken body and to live in constant pains.

This is a good book. I haven't finished reading that yet but I'll highly recommended that book to anyone who wonders what's really like to be in Heaven.
    I just picked up this book last night based on the recommendation above. Lonelyguy82, did you finish it and what are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Now I'm on to less "fun" reading with Anne Moody's Coming of Age in Mississippi, which is for a course, but doesn't feel like it (the best kind of required reading!).
    I read "Coming of Age in Mississippi" in college, and liked it.

I, too, read "Twilight" recently, and thoroughly enjoyed it and looking forward to the sequel.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread