+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Augusten Burroughs wrote it. Several of us FORTers have read and enjoyed Running With Scissors; I picked it up based on recommendations from this thread and was not disappointed. One of the best and most original autobiographies I've read in a long time. Has anyone read Dry yet? I meant to read it back to back with Running With Scissors but never got round to buying it.
    I keep meaning to pick up Dry too, geek. Still haven't though I've been reading Middlesex for at least a month now. This is partly because I have lots of coursework, but also I'm reading it slowly to savor the writing. Eugenides is just blowing me away. Easy to see why the book won the Pulitzer.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Picked up Philip Roth's The Plot Against America at noon today; about halfway through.

From Amazon.com:

The Plot Against America explores a wholly imagined thesis and sees it through to the end: Charles A. Lindbergh defeats FDR for the Presidency in 1940. Lindbergh, the "Lone Eagle," captured the country's imagination by his solo Atlantic crossing in 1927 in the monoplane, Spirit of St. Louis, then had the country's sympathy upon the kidnapping and murder of his young son. He was a true American hero: brave, modest, handsome, a patriot. According to some reliable sources, he was also a rabid isolationist, Nazi sympathizer, and a crypto-fascist. It is these latter attributes of Lindbergh that inform the novel.
    I'm a sucker for "alternate history." And so far, it's very good--a "What if?" Angela's Ashes, if you will.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Artemis Fowl- Eoin Colfer
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Picked up Philip Roth's The Plot Against America at noon today; about halfway through.

From Amazon.com:

I'm a sucker for "alternate history." And so far, it's very good--a "What if?" Angela's Ashes, if you will.
    I keep meaning to read something by Philip Roth. Maybe this is a good place to start? According to the pre-Nobel buzz in Swedish newspapers, he's one of the frontrunners to this year's Nobel Prize in Literature. It's been a while since the prize went to an American - I think the last American author was Toni Morrison back in 1992 (I think), so it just might be time. Let me know how you like it. I'd like to read his trilogy on 20th century America - American Pastoral, I Married a Communist, and The Human Stain (which became a rather disappointing film starring Anthony Hopkins and Nicole Kidman. I won't let that put me off it though). Alas, with all the coursework (I'm feeling your pain, Critical ) I probably won't have time to pick it up until next summer.

Middlesex is an amazing novel, isn't it, Critical? Too bad Eugenides writes so slowly; we're probably looking at another six or seven years until his next novel is out. Ah well, considering his brilliance, I suppose he's allowed to take his time...
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    Reading "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James. .... was intrigued after it was shown on "Lost". Am enjoying it, but he uses long convoluted sentences that I have to break down and re-read to get to what he's saying... a bit like Paul's epistles!
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

i just picked up The Known World by Edward P. Jones. it was the 2004 pulitzer prize winner. has anyone else read this? if you already discussed this book, i'm sorry. i never scrolled past survivor and tar until a month ago. was so happy to find this forum, but personal time is limited, and i haven't made it back through the thread very far. but i already have a list of books to try after this one!

Quote Originally Posted by bhanson
    I recently won a book reveiw contest sponsered by Chapters Indigo (It's like Canada's Barnes & Noble), and I am now one of their five junior reveiwers . We get a whole bunch of advance reading books (Books that havent been realesed to the public) and the one I am reading at the moment is called Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.

It is an amazing, macabre, modern day Vampire-romance story. MTV Films just bought the rights to make it into a film. I highly reccomend it!
    Thanks for sharing your impressions, bhanson, I am definitely looking forward to reading that book. Aside from it being optioned by MTV, I also hear it's up for some very prestigious awards right now!

Just so people know, it is available to the public now. In fact, I just picked up my own copy of Twilight the other day from Borders.

And Phat is correct. Stephenie Meyer, the author of the book, is someone who is very special to FORT.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    And Phat is correct. Stephenie Meyer, the author of the book, is someone who is very special to FORT.
    Is she a member here at FORT!?!?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by bhanson
    Is she a member here at FORT!?!?!?!?!?
    She is, indeed. All of us on the writing staff are very proud of this lovely person. I ordered my copy today!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Just so people know, it is available to the public now. In fact, I just picked up my own copy of Twilight the other day from Borders.
    Word to the wise...don't wait too long to get your copy. Last night, the display end cap for this book at Barnes and Noble was empty, and after I removed my copy at Borders, there were only four left. Btw, the storyline grabbed me from the first paragraph, and I haven't been able to put it down since.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread