+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I'm reading a book called "90 minutes in Heaven". I bought it from Wal-Mart. I've always wondering what it's like to be in Heaven and well, after few first chapters, it sounds so dreamy and blissfully. Also It's supposedly to be a true story.

This story is about a man who got into a traffic accident and went to Heaven after he died for 90 minutes, and then he came back. Not only that, it changed him forever, physcially, mentally and spiritally. Everyone wants him to live but he doesn't really want to live, not after what he saw in Heaven. It's only seems so cruel to go back to his broken body and to live in constant pains.

This is a good book. I haven't finished reading that yet but I'll highly recommended that book to anyone who wonders what's really like to be in Heaven.
    Last edited by Lonelyguy82; 10-10-2005 at 02:30 AM.
    Stop the world! I want to get off!

Young and thriving, I feel infinite. Need I say more?

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Re: The Colorado Kid

…aaand done.
    Man, you finished two books over the weekend? Talk about reading spree! You make the rest of us look lazy

Avoid if you’re a King critic; pick it up if you like King. But if you’re a diehard King fan, you didn’t need me to tell you that.
    I'll be picking it up later today, as soon as I've finished my daily quota of required reading - the last eighty pages of The House of the Spirits (good book, but I liked it better when I first read it ten years ago) and some literary theory stuff to go with it. But you already knew that I'm a diehard King fan, so I didn't need to tell you that Your review pretty much sums up what I had anticipated from The Colorado Kid. Since it's very much a detour from King's usual stuff, I won't be too disappointed if I don't like it. I will, however, be extremely disappointed if he doesn't publish a new novel that will take us back to the glory days of The Stand et al. Probably won't happen, but a girl can dream, right?

Anyway, what is the word on the latest developments in the world of Stephen King? Anyone? I've heard the rumours about him retiring as soon as he's done with the Dark Tower series. I also know that he denies those rumours on his website, but what if it is true? Although I haven't thoroughly enjoyed a King novel since Bag of Bones (when was that? Back in 1999?), it would sadden me to know that there won't be any new King books to look forward to.

ETA: Oh, and I finished the brand new Jennifer Weiner novel, Goodnight Nobody, last night. It was a very quick and light read - I pretty much devoured it in one sitting, but I enjoyed it a lot. It's a bit of a detour from her earlier stuff - it deals with murder and deadly secrets in the 'burbs and sometimes reads like an episode of Desperate Housewive, narrated by a heroine who channels Cannie Shapiro from Good In Bed. I must say, I found the ending to be a bit unsactisfary. Still: plenty of laughs, a refreshingly real and funny main character and lot of the trademark Weiner wit. If you like Jennifer Weiner's earlier work, you'll want to read this.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 10-10-2005 at 03:30 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Sorry for double posting, but I just wanted to say that I know how to spell "unsatisfactory". Once I've had my morning coffee, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by DarKensoul7
    Why Do Men Have Nipples is one of the best books I have read, It is absolutely hilarious! MUST READ
    I was thinking about getting this one. Thanks!
    Also, Has anyone here read Don't Get Too Comfortable : The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never- Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems by David Rakoff It looks fantastic, but with the boy here I have to make sure a book is absolutely worth frittering away any spare moments I might get in my day
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Hey...I decided to take a short break from reading novels for a book on meditation. It's very popular at our library: Wherever You Go There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn.

Anybody ever read his stuff or anything similar?
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

I recently won a book reveiw contest sponsered by Chapters Indigo (It's like Canada's Barnes & Noble), and I am now one of their five junior reveiwers . We get a whole bunch of advance reading books (Books that havent been realesed to the public) and the one I am reading at the moment is called Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.

It is an amazing, macabre, modern day Vampire-romance story. MTV Films just bought the rights to make it into a film. I highly reccomend it!

From the back of the book
    About three things I was positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him- and I didn't know how dominant that part might be- that thirsted for my blood. And third, that I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him

sabella Swan's move to Forks, a small, perpetually rainy town in Washington, could have been the most boring move she ever made. But once she meets the mysterious and alluring Edward Cullen, Isabella's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. Up until now, Edward has managed to keep his vampire identity a secret in the small community he lives in, but now nobody is safe, especially Isabella, the person Edward holds most dear. The lovers find themselves balanced precariously on the point of a knife—between desire and danger.

Deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight captures the struggle between defying our instincts and satisfying our desires. This is a love story with bite.
    Last edited by bhanson; 10-10-2005 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bhanson
    ...the one I am reading at the moment is called Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.

It is an amazing, macabre, modern day Vampire-romance story. MTV Films just bought the rights to make it into a film. I highly reccomend it!
    There are many of us on this site who are particularly...fond of that author. I, myself, have been waiting for over a year to read this particular book.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Haunted by Kelley Armstrong

itravel94, have you read Running With Scissors? its a great auto bio. loved it. borrowed it out though, and i can't remember who wrote it. by the way, thanks everyone for the great titles i get from these threads.

Quote Originally Posted by julitta
    itravel94, have you read Running With Scissors? its a great auto bio. loved it. borrowed it out though, and i can't remember who wrote it. by the way, thanks everyone for the great titles i get from these threads.
    Augusten Burroughs wrote it. Several of us FORTers have read and enjoyed Running With Scissors; I picked it up based on recommendations from this thread and was not disappointed. One of the best and most original autobiographies I've read in a long time. Has anyone read Dry yet? I meant to read it back to back with Running With Scissors but never got round to buying it.

+ Reply to Thread