+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    I can vouch for WEst of Kabul, East of New York, by Tamsin Ansary (think I got his name right). It's a great autobiography by an Afghani-American. The Swallows of Kabul is supposed to be good as well. (woman author, can't remember her name).
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely look for both of those books. The Kite Runner was one of the most interesting books I have read in a long time.

Went on a spree at the bookstore last night. I picked up:

-The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly and The Colorado Kid by Stephen King. (Thank you, geek the girl, for making sure I kept an eye out for these!)

-Anansi Boys, the follow-up to American Gods by Neil Gaiman

-Cinnamon Kiss by Walter Mosley (I'm probably the only one excited by this, as I seem to be the only fan of the Easy Rawlins mysteries. )
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    The happy Hook-up - By Alexa Sherman and Nicole Tocantins
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

Hi itravel94! I have a great book to recommend that is biography/autobiography and it is Notes From My Travels by Angelina Jolie. It wasn't too bad but I shelled out about 26$.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Went on a spree at the bookstore last night. I picked up:

-The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly and The Colorado Kid by Stephen King. (Thank you, geek the girl, for making sure I kept an eye out for these!)

-Anansi Boys, the follow-up to American Gods by Neil Gaiman

-Cinnamon Kiss by Walter Mosley (I'm probably the only one excited by this, as I seem to be the only fan of the Easy Rawlins mysteries. )
    Oh, phaaat, I'm a huge Easy Rawlins fan. I didn't know he had a new one out! Walter Mosley is one of my favorite writers. He's also written a book of short stories, as well as The Man in my Basement, which I can only describe as creepy and filled with poetic justice.

I went to Amazon to check out Cinnamon Kiss, and I see he's written several that I didn't know anything about - 47 and Wave, which looks like a sci-fi genre thriller. Where have I been? At the FoRT, of course. I need to catch up on my reading.

I bought Ansai Boys while I was in Seattle but I haven't started it yet. I hear it whispering from my bedside table: read me, read me... I'm just finishing up a re-read of Robert McCammon's Swan Song. I started it on the plane coming home. The elderly lady sitting next to me kept a stream of inane comments on anything and everything. She started reading the book over my shoulder and asked me what it was about. I told her it was sci-fi with a post-apocalyptic theme that juxtaposed good and evil, and people's souls became outwardly manifested in their faces. She said "oh", but she didn't bother me for the rest of the trip.

I also didn't realize Stephen King had written a new book. Let me know what you think of it; the critics are giving it mixed reviews from what I can tell. (of course, they always do, and I always read and love them anyway )
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Why Do Men Have Nipples is one of the best books I have read, It is absolutely hilarious! MUST READ
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Oh, phaaat, I'm a huge Easy Rawlins fan. I didn't know he had a new one out! Walter Mosley is one of my favorite writers.
    Were we separated at birth, Dinahann?

I don't anticipate a Mosley novel like I anticipate a Connelly or (used to) anticipate a Kellerman; which is baffling to me, since I very much enjoy the Rawlins mysteries that I do read.

I bought Ansai Boys while I was in Seattle but I haven't started it yet. I hear it whispering from my bedside table: read me, read me...
    Mm. I find I have to be in the right frame of mind to read Gaiman. Well, the weather outside is turning cold and the sky is looking bleak. Not much longer now, I think.

I'll let you know what I think of the new King.

Re: The Lincoln Lawyer

...aaand done.

The novel moved at a good clip and kept me turning pages. If you're a Connelly fan, there's good news for you: Connelly seems to have rediscovered his verve by taking a break from Bosch and developing a new character.

Here's the bad news: It's been done. If the story of a jaded, cynical, world-weary criminal defense attorney who takes a case from a client he believes to be innocent seems familiar, it's because this is ground that's been tread by Phillip Margolin (The Last Innocent Man), among other writers.

What impresses me about the novel, though, is that unlike Grisham, Margolin, Turow and other attorneys trying their hand at writing thrillers, Connelly isn't an attorney himself but seems to know the intricacies of the legal system (and legal profession) so well that he'll make you forget he isn't a member of the bar.

Connelly's strength lies in breathing life into Mickey Haller, a character with failings and foibles and peccadilloes with whom the reader can identify (and relate). The best secondary character is Haller's ex-wife, Maggie, while most of the other characters fall short. (Haller's second ex-wife and business partner, Lorna, is shamefully underdeveloped, considering she is fascinating whenever she does appear.)

The character's use of "franchise client" (a client whose fees are a huge payday to an attorney like Haller) seems to be a sly wink to Connelly's loyal audience, as I'm sure popular authors like Connelly hope to hit paydirt with a "franchise," as well--a character that the author can return to again and again by writing books his audience will accept and anticipate. Here's to hoping for another novel with Haller, but maybe next time the concept will be a little fresher and more innovative.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Thanks for the review of The Lincoln Lawyer, phat. I'll make sure to pick it up as soon as I've made my way through all the books I have piled up on my bedside table - one of which is The Colorado Kid.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Re: The Colorado Kid

Öaaand done.

Here it is: If youíre a King critic, youíre going to find a lot in The Colorado Kid to fuel your dislike for King. King commits the pitfalls for which heís best known:

-It takes too long to start the story. The beginning tends to drag.

-The secondary characters are so wooden as to be almost forgettable.

-It has an unsatisfying conclusion.

Having said that, if youíre a King fan, thereís a lot to like, too. Kingís use of language and ability to evoke mood are as sharp as ever. The mystery is compelling (if ultimately unsatisfying). And a note to Dark Tower fans, who are always looking for references to the Dark Tower Series in Kingís works: Is there a reference to the DT? Yep. But itís a bit of a stretch; it evokes the image that Stephanie and her two co-workers are ka-tet, if you catch the reference.

Stephen Kingís name will give the publisher the boost it needs, and while I enjoyed the story on its own, Iím undecided if Iíll buy any other books in the series. Avoid if youíre a King critic; pick it up if you like King. But if youíre a diehard King fan, you didnít need me to tell you that.

+ Reply to Thread