+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I just finished "Son of a Witch," the new sequel to Gregory Maguire's "Wicked." I didn't love it as much as Wicked, but I did like it a lot, and I enjoyed returning to that world.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalI've read several others by DeMille, including [i
    Charm School[/i] (loved it!), Plum Island and Up Country and I enjoyed all of them. I only spent $.50 on this at a used book sale at the library, so no big deal.
    You're going to want to skip The Lion's Game, too. Instantly forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest
    Mario Puzo
    I'm a big fan of The Godfather novel and also read Puzo's The Fourth K, The Sicilian, The Last Don and Omerta.

Inspired by nlmcp's reading choice, I went back and re-read Omerta, since I had a plane flight and some time.

If you like The Godfather, do yourself a favor and also read Omerta.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    The main character, Amir, grows up in Afghanistan during the last years of the monarchy. His family is wealthy, but his constant companion is a Hazara, an impoverished caste. When the Russian's invade, Amir and his father flee to California and Amir betrays his friend. Many years later, Amir returns to try to right his past wrongs.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    You're going to want to skip The Lion's Game, too. Instantly forgettable.
    Too late That one was a joyride compared to Word of Honor.

I've rebelled against academia and started a fun book (I am such the rebel) - I'm reading Middlesex by Jeffey Eugenides - based on recommendations from my mother and some FoRTers. I have to read something while riding my stationary bike and dry academic texts just don't distract me enough!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The Big Over Easy- Jasper Fforde

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Too late That one was a joyride compared to Word of Honor.
    I'll be sure to avoid it.

Back to A People's History of the United States for me.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

~*Sawyer's Love slave*~ sydneysummers's Avatar
    Okay, no laughing...I am reading Last Act by Christopher Pike. I know it is a YA book but I started reading him as a teen and I still like him. I read his adult novels as well but Last Act and Remember Me are two of my favorite YA books he has written.
    *Maeby*"I drugged him not to go all the way with him"
    *George Michael*"I think even the antidrug people would be okay with that"

For uni: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Garciel Garcia Márquez. It took me a while to keep track on who's who - virtually everyone in it names their offspring after themselves, or their parents - but now that I'm 100+ pages into it, I'm really enjoying myself. The epic storytelling combined with the bizarre little details (talking ghosts, a girl refusing to eat anything but dirt) makes for a very effective combination. Good stuff. I'm sure I'd enjoy it even more if I read it out of my own free will; for some reason, that always seems to be the case. I've signed up for a lit course called Magic Realism this semester, and this is the first book we get to read. Not very surprising, since it's considered _the_ prime example of Magic Realism. Next week, we'll read - another shocker! - The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende. I've already read that one, although it's been a while. I remember loving it though, and being very disappointed by the movie adaptation. Do read it if you get the opportunity.

For pleasure - that is, if one could read a book about incest and dirty small town secrets for "pleasure" - I'm finishing off Peyton Place by Grace Metalious. It really is quite shocking, especially since it was written way back in the 1950's. I can see why it caused such an uproar. Nice language, though, and plenty of likeable characters. I especially felt for Allison MacKenzie, played by a very young Mia Farrow in the (from what I've gathered) not-as-shocking TV series.

Next on my "for pleasure" list, and man, this is a pleasure: The brand new Paul Auster novel, The Brooklyn Follies! I'm psyched beyond words. Let's hope I won't be disappointed by my favourite contemporary (and oh, so hunky - not that it has anything to do with it) writer. He hasn't let me down yet.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Just finished Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Book Two--City of Night. There is still part three to come. Good story, it makes you think about what can happen when people play god and start creating their own super race. They always think they are going to improve the state of humans, but something goes wrong. It made me appreacitate the old models, flawed as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    For uni: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Garciel Garcia Márquez. It took me a while to keep track on who's who
    I had that problem with it too. I had to keep turning back to the family chart in the beginning of the book! It was an enjoyable read. I wouldn't mind reading it again but this time in a shorter span of time, I have a feeling I would absorb it better that way.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

+ Reply to Thread