+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Cablejockey, I haven't read that, but I used to love the book "Paper Moon," more even than the movie that starred Tatum. I recommend it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Right now I'm reading one by Nelson DeMille - can't remember the title.
    Is it Night Fall? I attended a DeMille book signing after the release of Night Fall. Interesting guy; entertaining signing. I've read most of the recent DeMille novels from The General's Daughter onward. I also read The Charm School on a recommendation. If you haven't, read that one. I couldn't put it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Geek the Girl
    Speaking of Connelly: His new novel, The Lincoln Lawyer, featuring brand new hero Mickey Haller, will be released on October 3. Are we excited? I'm thinking of pre-ordering it from Amazon so that I can get right to it when it's released. Fancy doing the same, phat?
    I'm hesitantly excited. On the one hand, I've grown tired of legal thrillers. On the other, it's Connelly! And even though I'm disappointed it's not Bosch, I like his non-Bosch books a lot, too. (I liked Henry Pierce from Chasing the Dime and wish he would bring back Cassie Black from Void Moon.) This description from Amazon.com put it best:

Michael Connelly's police procedural series featuring Harry Bosch has garnered numerous top mystery awards...But, strangely, it is his deviations from Bosch...that have drawn the biggest readerships...
    So, yeah, if you start Lincoln Lawyer, I will, too.

Right now, on the recommendation of a friend, I've started A People's History of the United States and The Making of the Atomic Bomb. Just some light reading.
    Last edited by phat32; 09-25-2005 at 05:03 AM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

FORT Fogey
    I'm about to read the Time Machine for school. I'm so glad it's only 90 pages. I hate reading classics.

Just finished Flush By Carl Hiasson. This was good, not as great as some of his other books but still good. Also finished Myth-Taken Identitiy By Robert Asprin and Jody Lynn Nye. Good one. Glad Robert got someone to help him with his writers block.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Re reading the Godfather by.....I forget but it's a good book.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Is it Night Fall? I attended a DeMille book signing after the release of Night Fall. Interesting guy; entertaining signing. I've read most of the recent DeMille novels from The General's Daughter onward. I also read The Charm School on a recommendation. If you haven't, read that one. I couldn't put it down.
    Phat - The one I read was Word of Honor. Meh. The main character gets court marshalled for his actions during Vietnam - 18 years earlier - and the book follows the process. I'm not a big fan of legal/courtroom fiction and this one was really slow. When DeMille writes action, even a 700 page book flies by. It took me over a month to read this one... yes, I was in school too, but still. I've read several others by DeMille, including Charm School (loved it!), Plum Island and Up Country and I enjoyed all of them. I only spent $.50 on this at a used book sale at the library, so no big deal.

I'm just starting in on... drumroll please... Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther Seriously. I read it years ago and can't remember a thing. It's better than On Liberty (which really could have been a pamphlet - can you say "redundant?").

Reading for pleasure...SIGH... I remember that...
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    Re reading the Godfather by.....I forget but it's a good book.
    Mario Puzo

I am currently reading "Devil in the White City".

I am looking for some good biographies or autobiographies to read...any recommendations?

I've read Devil in the White City. It was fascinating, and got me to lok up stuff about that World's Fair.
    As to biograhies---A Paper Life by Tatum O'neill is interesting, and You Got Nothing Coming by J Lerner, about middle class, middle aged guy going to prison--is really good inspite of its subject matter.

I just finished She's Come Undone and even though I made up my mind early on that I liked I Know This Much is True better I think She's Come Undone had more of an impact on me...strange especially since I didn't particularly like the main character.

I am reading Gloria Naylor's The Women of Brewster Place. This is a very short book but well written; I really like her description of the characters. This is a movie Oprah starred in a few years ago and from what I remember of the movie it has stuck closely with the book. I'll be done with this book today then I'll start reading Gilead...I forgot the author's name.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

+ Reply to Thread