+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

At the recommendation of my very good friend (and birthday girl) Sher, I've just started Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. (And she's right. It's damn funny.)

Geek the Girl, I say it's time you started Connelly's Bosch series, from Book One onward, as we discussed.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32

Geek the Girl, I say it's time you started Connelly's Bosch series, from Book One onward, as we discussed.
    I'll get right to it! In fact, I have The Black Echo waiting for me on the shelf. I'd love to start reading right now, but I have a ton of uni-related stuff (none of which features Harry Bosch, for some reason) to get through first.

Speaking of Connelly: His new novel, The Lincoln Lawyer, featuring brand new hero Mickey Haller, will be released on October 3. Are we excited? I'm thinking of pre-ordering it from Amazon so that I can get right to it when it's released. Fancy doing the same, phat? At least this time around, I'll be there from the very beginning. I'm assuming, based on some of the press, that Haller will be a regular. Let's hope he won't replace Bosch, though. That would be beyond sad.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

After finishing Widow for One Year I felt that I needed a change of pace, so I have started Black and Blue by Ian Rankin. Some of the Scottish slang and culture are unfamiliar, but that's one of the things that interested me. I also like that the chief character, a police inspector is not a total do-gooder. It makes for a deeper story.

Finished it a year ago, but has stuck in my mind. Hands down the most absorbing book I have read. "The Fountainhead" , Ayn Rand. Egomaniacs, masochists, goldiggers, you name the disorder, they are represented here! Made me feel normal..lol.
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    At the recommendation of my very good friend (and birthday girl) Sher, I've just started Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. (And she's right. It's damn funny.)

Sounds like a must read, being that it includes all the neccesities of survival!(re: sex, drugs, and coco puffs)
    Go Tigers!

Oh the Glory of It All by Sean Wilsey. I've just read the Prologue and unless he blew his writerly wad in the first 11 pages, I already know this is going to be a great book. It's easy to feel jealous of the rich, but this guy can write!

If you've studied American Lit like I have, you'll relish this contribution. It's like a Great American Novel but it's a true story -- only well-written and funny! (I hope -- I'll let you know after I read the whole thing if anyone else is interested in comparing notes).

My only objection is there are no pictures, but you can remedy that by reading the SF Chronicle articles on the book and its real SF characters, and click on the accompanying pictures. It helps me to have a visual of who he is talking about, and to read especially the first article at the end where the reporter explains who's who. Here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...sn=001&sc=1000

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=006&sc=578

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=004&sc=845

P.S. I finished The Historian if anyone wants to discuss it. Or if you were planning to buy either one from Amazon, please use my direct links in this message to initiate your shopping. We can discuss the books once you've read them!

P.S.S. I'll take y'all's recommendation to read Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs : A Low Culture Manifesto, although I must admit in looking at the reviews it made me more desirous to go out and buy a box of Cocoa Puffs and eat some then to read the book. I have never seen an episode of Saved by the Bell and don't feel deprived by that fact. Lol Mmmmm, chocolate cereal!
    Last edited by Harvest; 09-15-2005 at 03:03 PM.

I just joined a new reading group and the book is "This Body" by Laurel Doud - anyone read that one?

I also picked up The Historian - after reading about it here, it sounds right up my alley!
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

I just finished The Da Vinci Code. It's one of my favorite books

A Friggin' Princess HueyDueyLuey961's Avatar
    I'm reading Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. It's a great book, even for adults.
    In Production Now- Decision 2005: A FoRT Game

As a matter of fact, I was a member of the Council on BB:TC.

giz
    I was in the library and saw Jeffrey Archer's prison diary, and thought I would read to snigger and experience a naughty moment of schadenfraude at one of my least favourite Tories being banged up. I'm almost finished it, and it must be my flu bug or something, because I'm actually feeling a little sorry for our Jeff.

It's funny, he keeps saying he's been warned not to believe anything anyone says to him in prison, which is (unintentionally) ironic, as he's a well-known fibber who was convicted (rightly or wrongly) of perjury. Is anyone else familiar with his story? He used to make me almost as angry as Thatcher made me. Well, distant second, no-one could infuriate me like her.

+ Reply to Thread