+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I'm actually reading "Salem's Lot," which is one of few King books I never read. I'd meant to pick it up since I read the Dark Tower series and there was a link. I'm pretty sucked in, and the vampires haven't even shown their fangs yet. I just think King is such an engaging writer.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by MICHEY
    I am starting The Time Traveler's Wife. I've heard mixed reviews on this one, more leaning towards the dislike pile but many of the reviews on Amazon praised it...hmmm. Anybody here like it???
    Me. I really enjoyed it. There's a segment in the art museum in Chicago that had me bawling like a little baby.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferinSlytherin
    Geek and Phat, who is this Harry Potter you speak of?
    Beats me. I'm not particularly a big fan myself. Give me A Series of Unfortunate Events any day.

Quote Originally Posted by r0guish
    Btw phat, bleh, I can't believe you're enjoying Rule of Four! That was a horrible book!
    Yeah, well... I'm not exactly rushing to pick it back up. I think the part that nearly had me throwing it against the fireplace (followed quickly by an empty whiskey bottle) was how What's-His-Name and That-Other-Guy met in the library and bonded over the love of some obscure Renaissance treatise(?). I guess that's the way they do it at the upper-crust colleges (well, ooh-la-la!) because at San Diego State (Go, Aztecs!) we would bond like this:

Me: Hey, I see you like Hawaiian pizza and playing Street Fighter II!
    Him: Yeah...?
    Me: Cool, let's be friends!
    Him: Sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I'm actually reading "Salem's Lot," which is one of few King books I never read.
    I liked early King, too.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Beats me. I'm not particularly a big fan myself. Give me A Series of Unfortunate Events any day.
    I had to Google "Slytherin" to make sure I hadn't been insulted. I'm still not sure, but at least now I realize it was some sort of Harry Potter reference.

My latest and greatest (to stay on topic) were required reading for my class- Information Technology Project Management by Kathy Schwalbe and Death March by Edward Yourdon. I say that to be a smartaleck, but I really did enjoy both books and learned quite a bit.

However, alas, class is over, so I'm off to the chick lit thread to get some ideas....

Quote Originally Posted by MICHEY

I am starting The Time Traveler's Wife. I've heard mixed reviews on this one, more leaning towards the dislike pile but many of the reviews on Amazon praised it...hmmm. Anybody here like it???
    Really? You're the first person I've heard who didn't like it. I haven't read it yet, but it's been on my "to read" list for what feels like forever now. I'm sure I'll get around to reading it in a while; just need to work my way through the pile of books with higher priority first

Without going into any details about the plot, could you tell me what you didn't like about it?

I'm actually reading "Salem's Lot," which is one of few King books I never read. I'd meant to pick it up since I read the Dark Tower series and there was a link. I'm pretty sucked in, and the vampires haven't even shown their fangs yet. I just think King is such an engaging writer.
    Cool! Salem's Lot will always have a special place in my (dark and gory ) heart since it was the first King I ever read. It's still one of my favourite King novels, right up there with The Stand and It. I happened to catch the made-for-tv movie starring Rob Lowe a few weekends ago, however... Why is it that virtually all Stephen King novels (with a few notable exceptions, of course: The Shining, Carrie and The Shawshank Redemption coming to mind first) turn into atrociously bad movies? Ah well. Anybody excited about his new novel coming out soon? It's a hard-boiled detective story, so it probably won't go down in history as a typical King novel. Still, can't wait to read it!
    Last edited by geek the girl; 08-25-2005 at 03:00 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I was dissapointed with The Time Traveller's Wife, but maybe because I had read so many good things about it, that my expectations were too high. It was o.k. worth reading, but not one of my favorites. I love the concept.

Agree with you about Blonde Geek, captures Marilyn's essence better than any biography of her ever has. One of those rare books that haunts you long after you finish it.
    Last edited by Lotuslander; 08-25-2005 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferinHufflePuff
    My latest and greatest (to stay on topic) were required reading for my class- Information Technology Project Management by Kathy Schwalbe and Death March by Edward Yourdon.
    Since I'm supposedly a project manager now, I should probably read Information Technology Project Management...nah.

As for Death March, IT is a little more like Lord of the Flies...only with more death, destruction and chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by GeektheGory
    Why is it that virtually all Stephen King novels (with a few notable exceptions, of course: The Shining, Carrie and The Shawshank Redemption coming to mind first) turn into atrociously bad movies?
    Because a lot of the attraction of King books is the omniscient viewpoint of the narrator, maybe? It's the subtle details, the thoughts and histories of the characters, the all-seeing, all-knowing eye of King that peers into the heart of darkness of each character?

In a film, you won't experience that.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

GeektheGory... you crack me up!

Oh, and to your theory about why Stephen King movies tend to suck. The characterization definitely suffers in most of the ones I've seen and later complained about. It was one of my biggest problems with It the TV movie; I never felt for the characters, whereas I was inside their heads in the book. Tim Curry was great as Pennywise though.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Hmmm I am currently reading Freakonomics by Livett and Dubner. Its a pretty good book...very mind boggling . Anyone else reading or read it?
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

Now I am reading the Constant Gardener, I saw the preview for the movie and it said it was from a great book so... (I love scrolling through here when my list of books I am waiting for from the library is low (Like now). Our library allows you to put holds on book that are due out within two or three months and then they email you when they are in! I find it wonderfully convienient.)

Has anyone read this book? I am only about 60 pages or so into it.
    Is probably over in the transcribing thread for Big Brother til death do us part.

"I don't trust that girl with a ten foot pole." - Annie
    Whhhhaaaaat? LMAO

Great Novels!!! :)

Jeffrey Deavers The Bone Collector was just amazing! You must read that book. Go Ask Alice by anonymous was good too. It was about a girl who did drugs and stuff. It is a true story too. The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown was great as is Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging. Hey if anyone reads anymore good novels, if you don't mind would you send me a private message? Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread