+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

The Mammoth Book of New Historical Whodunnits edited by Mike Ashley
    It's a collection of short stories by different authors ranging in time from the Queen of Sheba to the Titanic. Since most of the stories are about 20-25 pages there is not much space for much mystery. It does give a bit of a flavour to different periods and cultures and previous books edited by Ashley have introduced me to some interesting authors.

The Secret on Ararat the second book in the series Babylon Rising by Tim LaHaye. (He also co-wrote the Left behind series.) It is a book about a biblical archaeologist who is search for archaeological proof that the bible is right. In the second book he is searching for Noah's Ark. Very well written, the characters are easy to identify with, language is easy to understand and follow (even if you know nothing about archaeology like me), It is also uplifting and nothing too offensive. A really great read!
    Is probably over in the transcribing thread for Big Brother til death do us part.

"I don't trust that girl with a ten foot pole." - Annie
    Whhhhaaaaat? LMAO

My summer of reading is over
    Back to the text books for me...Anatomy and Physiology, Philosophy (ugh!), and Fund of Nutrition.

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    Just finished reading a great book called The Keys of the Kingdom by AJ Cronin. (Decided to join the library, as I'm spending far too much money on books at the moment!). Has anyone else read it?
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

Just finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. (I know, the rest of you guys are way ahead of me...) It was such an engrossing read, and I love the fact that the books get darker as the series progress. The ending made me cry and, most of all, wonder just how the heck I'm going to be able to wait TWO YEARS to see how it all ends. I've been on a real reading spree lately, so right after I finished it I started reading - gasp! - a Swedish book. (I do read those from time to time.) It won't mean anything to you, and you won't be able to find it in English, but for the record it was called Herrgården (The Mansion) and was written by Anna-Karin Palm. Very atmospheric, tense and well-written stuff. I'd love for it to be available in English someday, although I doubt it will happen. Henning Mankell is pretty much the only one being translated into English these days.

As for what I'm reading right now: A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly. I'm a newly converted Connelly fan!

Other stuff I've read lately and forgot to post here:

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner - poignant, funny, snarky and thoroughly enjoyable about friendship and motherhood. Almost as good as Good In Bed

Vince and Joy by Lisa Jewell - more chicklit-y stuff. Cute, enjoyable and very British about the great lovestory that never was. Being an Anglophile and all, I loved the references to British indie band from the 80's, as well as a tour of London.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Just finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. (I know, the rest of you guys are way ahead of me...) It was such an engrossing read, and I love the fact that the books get darker as the series progress.
    Definitely. I like that "dark" aspect of it, too.

I try to convince Potter-philes that by the end of the series, I believe that Harry's life will come full circle, that he will be the new Dark Lord (the new Voldemort), lead a kill squad against his former fellow students, and kill most of them, including Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger-Weasley, but will be stopped by their infant son. And so it goes.

Nobody I know who's a fan of the series buys into my theory, though.

As for what I'm reading right now: A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly. I'm a newly converted Connelly fan!
    That's a grrreat Connelly/Bosch.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32

I try to convince Potter-philes that by the end of the series, I believe that Harry's life will come full circle, that he will be the new Dark Lord (the new Voldemort), lead a kill squad against his former fellow students, and kill most of them, including Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger-Weasley, but will be stopped by their infant son. And so it goes.

Nobody I know who's a fan of the series buys into my theory, though.
    Now that would be some ending! Maybe it's because I'm not a bona fide Potter-phile (I enjoy the books, but I'm not even mildly psychotic about it. I didn't even buy the Half-Blood Prince on the release date!), but I, too, would love to see Harry go Anakin Skywalker on us. All the signs are there: the fact that the Sorting Hat nearly made him a Slytherin; his ability to talk to snakes (an ability he shares with someone else...); his close connection to Voldemort... It would be incredibly cool. And just imagine the millions of clinically depressed kids it would generate! (Actually, that's probably a reason not to go in that direction... Oh, but it would be cool. Especially the bit about Hermoine's and Ron's lovechild.)

Click to see Spoiler:
    I was disappointed to see Snake walk over to the dark side for good, though. I always liked the ambiguity about his character, that he was neither thoroughly bad nor completely good - or, rather, not as bad as Harry thought he was. Or maybe I just REALLY fancy Alan Rickman as Snape and project that onto the books Anyway, I'm still hoping it'll prove to be a mistake and that he wasn't really responsible for Dumbledore's death.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I tried to read the Lord of Rings but found myself really distracted from it so I only read the Hobbit and half of The Fellowship of the Ring...urgh. I'll get back to it one day.

I just finished reading Jurassic Park, Michael Crichton. It was very good and a lot different from the movie (don't know why that surprised me) especially the later half.

I am starting The Time Traveler's Wife. I've heard mixed reviews on this one, more leaning towards the dislike pile but many of the reviews on Amazon praised it...hmmm. Anybody here like it???
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Quote Originally Posted by MICHEY
    I just finished reading Jurassic Park, Michael Crichton. It was very good and a lot different from the movie (don't know why that surprised me) especially the later half.
    Yes, I liked it better than the movie, which is saying something.

Geek and Phat, who is this Harry Potter you speak of?

Okay so I'm onto another book now. Anybody read the Dalai Lama's Freedom In Exile? It's actually quite a renowned book amongst psychologists and philosophers.

Btw phat, bleh, I can't believe you're enjoying Rule of Four! That was a horrible book!
    "How do you feel about marriage and commitment?" - Britney Spears
    "I feel that...I feel that love is love...love has...I don't believe in marriage. I believe you can get married." - Kevin Federline

Huh? I think I just got stupider...
    Please do your part to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina: DONATE!

+ Reply to Thread