+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Who recommended The Rule of Four? Was it you, Crit? So far, I like it a lot.
    Yep I believe Lucy has read it as well. Glad you're enjoying it I think it was definitely marketed incorrectly - it's not in the same vein as DaVinci Code. It's much more well written and intellectual and not as fast-paced. I guess DVC is the title that every publishing company invokes when trying to sell books now!

I'm about half way through Alexandra Fuller's Scribbling the Cat and am loving it. She is one of the best I've read at painting a picture in a vivid and unique way. Plus, I'm learning more about African history, which will come in handy for my African History class this fall!

Next up is Orson Scott Card's Enchantment - yet another of my mother's that she has signed (both of the Alexandra Fuller's are autographed as well) and that I want to get read before I go back home next week.

I don't know if I'd be up for another Bret Easton Ellis. American Psycho remains the only book I've ever thrown across the room. I don't want to debate the merits of his "message" because I understood his point - I just found it irresponsible, stomach-turning and a handbook for wannabe psychos.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just started reading Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park, very interesting. Loved the movie and so far loving the book.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

CCL
    I liked Rule of Four, generally, although I felt there were too many references to the main character's childhood.

Did anyone read The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde? I quite liked it (although I prefer his Thursday Next series overall but still very good). Apparently it will also be a series because a page at the back of the book makes reference to a next adventure...something about the fourth bear?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I don't know if I'd be up for another Bret Easton Ellis. American Psycho remains the only book I've ever thrown across the room. I don't want to debate the merits of his "message" because I understood his point - I just found it irresponsible, stomach-turning and a handbook for wannabe psychos.
    Oh, good, it's not just me, then. Though I didn't throw it, just read it with my lip curled up in disgust. I have a really high tolerance level for that kind of thing, but I really failed to see the merit in the book as well.

I've pretty much quit reading for pleasure now...I have to take a course for work and in between that, kids, husband, job, and newfound enthusiasism for exercising, I have no time. Though I may take some time out when it's my turn on the library list for The Big Over Easy.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Oh, good, it's not just me, then. Though I didn't throw it, just read it with my lip curled up in disgust. I have a really high tolerance level for that kind of thing, but I really failed to see the merit in the book as well.
    I'm glad I'm not alone! I did end up finishing it - I just skimmed through those horrid murder scenes. I wanted to see how it would end. Still:

I finished Fuller's Scribbling the Cat and am on to Orson Scott Card's Enchantment. This is my first experience with Card and I'm only about 30 pages in. So far, I'm enjoying it, particularly since it deals with Russia and Russian fairytales (my major is History with an emphasis in Eastern Europe). It's not the quickest read but it's enjoyable, so I don't feel like I'm slogging through it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    It's not just you and Critical, AJane. Ellis is probably my least favorite writer of all time. What really goes on in that strange warped mind of his? I'd hate to meet him on a dark night... I'd hate to meet him, period.

I found Less than Zero disquieting at times - the profound anomie of his characters was very disturbing to me. Just very sad. Then I read American Psycho and was amazed by the depths of his character's sociopathic qualities. I finished American Psycho and told myself I'd never pay for or read another of his books. Life is too short to be so disturbed by someone else's point of view.

Ug. Now I'm going to be thinking about those books all day.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I found Less than Zero disquieting at times - the profound anomie of his characters was very disturbing to me. Just very sad.
    It was. However, it did give us the excellent Bangles' cover of the Simon/Garfunkel song A Hazy Shade of Winter, which is the only thing I remember LTZ for, so I cut it a little slack. +
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    Did anyone read The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde? I quite liked it (although I prefer his Thursday Next series overall but still very good). Apparently it will also be a series because a page at the back of the book makes reference to a next adventure...something about the fourth bear?

I read it, and I pretty much agree with you -- I prefer Thursday, but this was still enjoyable. It IS going to be a series -- Nursery Crimes. So presumably the "fourth bear" is in relation to the Three Bears of Goldilocks fame.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I just started reading Memoirs of a Geisha just 2 days ago. So far, so good!
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

Reading Sideways (I'm on a kick of reading books that have been made into movies) So far so good.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread