+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I loved Don't Let's go to the Dogs Tonight. I'm very enamored of all things African, especially the different cultures and ways of life. It was an excellent book. I didn't realize she'd written another one. Is it autobiographical also?
    Scribbling the Cat is autobiographical as well, Dinahann. My mother has read them both and told me that the second book covers a period of time when Alexandra is an adult and returns to Africa (not sure for how long, since I haven't read the book yet!). I'm blowing through Don't Let's go to the Dogs Tonight so fast that I'll probably be able to give you a review of the second book in a few days!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yes, count me in as a Paul Auster fan. I read his work in college and it blew my mind!

Anyway, I am right now reading a very amusing book that a very wonderful friend of mine lent to me; it's called Dogrun by Arthur Nersesian. It's a smart, wry, breezy read about wacky Gen X New Yorkers in the East Village. It is a lot fun, very sharp and laugh-out-loud funny, kind of like a lighter, less pretentious Tama Janowitz or Brett Easton Ellis for the new millenium. I don't want to divulge too much, but the first chapter had me rip-roaring in laughter.

ETA: Are there any other Chuck Palahniuk fans out there? Over the summer I also read his latest, Haunted. I enjoyed it, though I have to say the short stories within were even better than the main story. Some were just brilliant.
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 08-16-2005 at 04:42 AM.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Snowy, I'm a Palahniuk fan, even though I just recently learned how to spell his name correctly I browsed through Haunted at a book store a while ago, and it looked very promising indeed. It goes straight up on my "to read list" (which is about the length of an average Stephen King novel by now).

Speaking of Bret Easton Ellis: Anyone else excited that he's about to release his first novel since Glamorama anyday now? It's called Lunar Park and apparently, Bret Easton Ellis himself is one of the main character. Or at least a guy named Bret Easton Ellis. Très postmodern.

I'm off to the library to get my hands on Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I saw it when the library opened yesterday but decided to wait, in case I'd break some poor 11-year-old's heart. Mysteriously enough, it's still there. What's wrong with today's kids?

ETA: It might have something to do with the fact that it's in English, while Swedish 11-year-olds - last time I checked - speak Swedish. Ah well... more for me!
    Last edited by geek the girl; 08-16-2005 at 06:06 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm off to the library to get my hands on Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I saw it when the library opened yesterday but decided to wait, in case I'd break some poor 11-year-old's heart. Mysteriously enough, it's still there. What's wrong with today's kids?
    Maybe it's on hold for someone, waiting to be picked up?

I'm currently reading "Shadow of the Giant" by Orson Scott Card. It's the sequel to the cult-classic sci-fi parallaxes "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow." Are there any Ender fans out there? :o

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bitter
    Maybe it's on hold for someone, waiting to be picked up?

I'm currently reading "Shadow of the Giant" by Orson Scott Card. It's the sequel to the cult-classic sci-fi parallaxes "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow." Are there any Ender fans out there? :o
    I like the Ender series, but I've been at the mercy of my local library and they don't carry the books in order. Thus I've read Ender's Shadow but not Ender's Game, although I know what it's about from reading others in the series. One of these days I've got to get off my duff and check out a used book store to see what I can find. I didn't like Shadow of the Giant as much as I did Ender's Shadow, perhaps because I found it sad.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

giz
    Last month I read the Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. It's just a brilliant book, I'd highly recommend it. Her autobiography is wonderful to read (though very sad), in part because it shows us an American life which is too often hidden from us. We don't see poor white families on t.v. (part of why Roseanne was so popular) and the struggles of Jeanette and her siblings is very well told. I read it very quickly and was sorry to be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Snowy, I'm a Palahniuk fan, even though I just recently learned how to spell his name correctly I browsed through Haunted at a book store a while ago, and it looked very promising indeed. It goes straight up on my "to read list" (which is about the length of an average Stephen King novel by now).
    Oh, I so know what you mean by the "to read" list. The only reason I haven't posted in your Summer Reading List thread is I would have gotten carpal tunnel typing mine out.

Well, it took me a while to figure out how to pronounce Palahniuk's name correctly, until I read an article on him which mentioned that his grandparents' names are Paula and Nick, and that's how you say his name. I never forgot after that! I've read nearly all his books (not the essay collection Stranger Than Fiction yet), and I always find each book satisfying in its own wacked out way.
    Speaking of Bret Easton Ellis: Anyone else excited that he's about to release his first novel since Glamorama anyday now? It's called Lunar Park and apparently, Bret Easton Ellis himself is one of the main character. Or at least a guy named Bret Easton Ellis. Très postmodern.
    Bret! What are you doing? The po-mo self-reflexive referencing is, like, so mid-90s! Just kidding. I am excited! Do you know the release date, Geek the Gorgeous? And that's interesting, it brings us circling back around to Paul Auster. Who says there's not a design to things?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Do you know the release date, Geek the Gorgeous?
    Oh my! It would appear it's already available at Amazon! And listen to this:

"In his novel Lunar Park, Bret Easton Ellis takes first-person narrative to an extreme, inserting himself (and a host of real characters from the publishing world) into the haunting story of a drugged-out famous writer living in the suburbs trying to reconnect with his wife and son and reconcile his damaged past. Ellis is at the top of his game in Lunar Park, his first novel since 1999's Glamorama, delivering a disturbing and delirious novel about celebrity, writers, and fathers and sons (not to mention a cameo from notorious Ellis creation, Patrick Bateman)."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...291890-7987215

It does sound totally mid-90's, but it also sounds fun. Can't wait to pick up this one!

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Last month I read the Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. It's just a brilliant book, I'd highly recommend it.
    The Glass Castle keeps showing up on my recommendations list on Amazon. I've been meaning to read it for some time now. Thanks for reminding me!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

After seeing the movie, I decided to read "Must Love Dogs". By....geez I forget now I think her last name is Cole. I'm about a thrid of the way through and so far, I find the movie was better.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Who recommended The Rule of Four? Was it you, Crit? So far, I like it a lot.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread