+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey
    I've got two on the go. Jonathan Kellerman's latest-at least at the library--Rage
    I'm still working my way through Rage. It just ain't all that compelling, I guess.

and Daughters of Eden by Charoltte Bingham. The 'Daughters' book follows the lives of 4 young women on the eve of WW2. They are training to become spies at a former stately home called Eden Park. Better than it sounds.
    Is it fictional? If you like it, you may also like Ken Follett's Jackdaws, which follows a similar theme.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I read a couple of books this weekend, including Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones. I found it so emotionally draining that I couldn't say if it was any good. Definitely not on my list of books to read more than once.

I also read Mary Lawson's Crow Lake...just OK, nothing special. Or maybe it just seemed a little lightweight after the Sebold book.

I'm now taking on Joyce Carol Oates' Blonde. Intimidating at 700 pages + (and heavy, man, the library only had the hardcover ).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I'm still working my way through Rage. It just ain't all that compelling, I guess.
    For a real snooze-fest try his latest with wife Faye Kellerman. Double Homicide is two stories in one book, each a crappy one hundred or so pages. I was hoping for a more collaborative effort.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I read a couple of books this weekend, including Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones. I found it so emotionally draining that I couldn't say if it was any good. Definitely not on my list of books to read more than once.
    I thought it was very good, but I don't want to read it again, either. I clutched kleenex and sobbed for most of the book. I loaned it to a friend and it didn't affect her the same way, so I thought it was just me. I don't know what I expected. I read the synopsis before I bought it so I knew what it was about.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    For a real snooze-fest try his latest with wife Faye Kellerman. Double Homicide is two stories in one book, each a crappy one hundred or so pages. I was hoping for a more collaborative effort.
    Where were you about a week ago, when you could have stopped me from purchasing this crapfest in print?

Instead of getting all the stereotypical goodness of either Kellerman on his or her own, we get both! Lawd, lawd!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I'm now taking on Joyce Carol Oates' Blonde. Intimidating at 700 pages + (and heavy, man, the library only had the hardcover ).
    Ooh, one of my all-time favourite novels! Do let me know how you like it. I, too, read it in hardcover - I couldn't bring myself to wait for the paperback. At times I thought I'd physically injure myself, especially while reading it in bed It is a bit intimidating at first, but I soon found myself wishing it would never end. Like The Lovely Bones, it's quite emotionally draining (maybe not as much, though), but the language... so, so beautiful. I've never been a big fan of Marilyn's, but it felt as though Oates managed to paint the truest portrait yet.

As for what I'm reading... I feel a wee bit guilty admitting to this, especially since I promised phat I'd read the entire Bosch series cronologically. However, my father had brought home a brand new copy of The Closers from England and it was all shiny and new and alluring. So, now I'm finding myself very much thrown into the world of Harry Bosch and while I probably would have been a lot wiser for reading up on the series cronologically, I'm still enjoying myself immensely. Love the characters, love the language, love the mystery, love discovering a potential new crime fave. I'm told The Closers is far from Connelly's best work - that speaks volumes about just how good the Bosch series will undoubtedly turn out to be. Not to worry though; as soon as I've finished this one (only fifty or so pages to go!) I'll start up on The Black Echo and then continue to fill in all the blanks.

Quick review of Skeleton Crew: a fairly uneven, but still highly enjoyable and readable collection of short stories. Personal faves: "The Mist", "The Raft" (scared my pants off), "Mrs Todd's Short Cut" (I love everything Castle Rock), and "The Reach". I could have done without the more science fiction-y stuff and the bad poetry, though. I can't help thinking just how great "The Mist" would have been on its own.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Phat32--Daughters of Eden is fictional. I'll look for the Jackdaws, since this is an interesting subject.

I just finished The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman. I'd heard so many great things about it and I tried really hard to like it but it was such a flatliner for me I don't think I can bring myself to read the other two books of the series. It took me a good two months to get thru it because I kept putting it down to read other stuff (Dean Koontz, The Taking and Velocity - and the new Harry Potter. Loved 'em). I finally forced myself to finish it this weekend because I can't just NOT finish a book. It bothers me that I can't pinpoint what it is that left me so flat. I'd rather hate a book than feel indifferent about it.

Geek the Girl - Totally agree about Skeleton Crew - The Mist & The Raft were soooo good/scary. Those two and The Jaunt are the only ones I remember vividly from reading years ago. Probably because my mom and daughter also read them and we talk about them every so often. Especially The Raft when we're out swimming the the bay or ocean and we end up scaring ourselves out of the water. It's worse than Jaws.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." Ė B. Russell

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Zerfley, if you didn't like The Golden Compass, or just felt "meh," then yes, I'd stop with the series. The next two are not as strong in my opinion and the third is downright silly. It's too bad, I actually really liked The Golden Compass but the rest of "His Dark Materials" was a huge let down.

I'm reading Disordered Minds by Minette Walters. I'm finding it very interesting and readable. It's sort of a crime book but there is more to the story as they are looking at a 30 year old crime. It's written in e-mails, excerpts of books, newspaper clippings, reports. I'm enjoying it and I'm not usually into crime books.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    I'm reading Disordered Minds by Minette Walters. I'm finding it very interesting and readable. It's sort of a crime book but there is more to the story as they are looking at a 30 year old crime. It's written in e-mails, excerpts of books, newspaper clippings, reports. I'm enjoying it and I'm not usually into crime books.
    nlmcp, if you enjoy that one, make sure to check out Minette Walters' back catalogue. Disordered Minds is a good crime novel, but she's written far better books. My favourite Minette Walters books are The Ice House (her Edgar-winning debut novel), The Sculptress (genuinely creepy), The Shape of Snakes and The Scold's Bridle. All of her books are worth reading, though. She is definitely my favourite British crime novelist, along with Ruth Rendell and PD James. Since there is no reccuring detective, you can read them in whichever order you like. Anyway, here is a list of her published works to date:
    • The Ice House
    • The Sculptress
    • The Scold's Bridle
    • The Dark Room
    • The Echo
    • The Breaker
    • The Shape of Sankes
    • Acid Row
    • Fox Evil
    • Disordered Minds
    • The Tinder Box (novella, originally published in 1999)

ETA: Just wanted to add that she has a brand new book coming out on September 8 (at least in the UK; there is no mention of it on Amazon yet) called The Devil's Feather.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 08-11-2005 at 08:19 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread