+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree266Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Critical, you scored a hat trick with me with your recommendations (I recently finished Mystic River and The Red Tent as well) and I'll be picking up Rule of Four at the library today. Thank you!!!
    I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Keep in mind that my recommendation of Rule of Four wasn't as enthusiastic as the others. It was good, but I guess I was paying attention to all the hype about it and expected more of a fast-paced thriller than an intellectual mystery. Still, quite interesting and, I think, worth a read, if you enjoy those sorts of things. It was much more similar in pace to Iain Pears' An Instance of the Fingerpost or some of Eco's work, than to DaVinci Code.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Father Time lol
    Without Remorse - Tom Clancy
    Big Brother 10 - Dan, Memphis

I'm reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I'm finding it very interesting, it's about a hermaphrodite growing up in the Detroit area. So far the book is looking back at the grandparents generation coming to Detroit from Greece and I'm finding engrossing as I'm driving in some of the places he talks about or I hear about some of this from some of my older clients.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

A Taste for Death by P. D. James.
    Although I do read mysteries, this is not one that I would have picked up on my own. Someone at work lent me a couple of her books, thinking that I would like them because "they are very English". This is certainly that. It is also very long winded. I think that each character, no matter how peripheral and every room that any character enters is given about 3 pages of description. This would not be so bad, if the characters were interesting, but I do not find them so. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that the culprit is going to turn out to be someone that hasn't even been mentioned so far (I'm about 300 pages in).

Still reading "Shut the door" by Amanda Marquit
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Belva Plain "Fortune's Hand"...I have ten more pages left to read and after that I'm going to read "The Crimson Petal And The White" by Michael Faber.

I am actually just a little over halfway through The Rule of Four and loving it. Maybe because I'm the last person left on the planet that hasn't read The Davinci Code yet (still waiting for my turn on the library lending list).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    I'm reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I'm finding it very interesting, it's about a hermaphrodite growing up in the Detroit area. So far the book is looking back at the grandparents generation coming to Detroit from Greece and I'm finding engrossing as I'm driving in some of the places he talks about or I hear about some of this from some of my older clients.
    I just finished The Next Big Thing by Fort member Johanna Edwards. The book was a gift from another Forter so I feel extra special. Like you, I enjoyed reading about places here in Memphis. The coffee house mentioned in the book is one that I've often wantred to visit. Maybe I will now.
    nimcp, that book you read sounds interesting. I may try that one. I actually grew up with a hermaphrodite who dressed as a guy. Does anyone know how they decide which gender to embrace? I guess maybe their parents make that decision, huh?

AJane-- if you liked Running With Scissors, I highly suggest reading Dry and Magical Thinking, also both by Burroughs. Dry is about him as an adult trying to get sober, Magical Thinking is a bunch of short stories about his twisted life.... very interesting stuff.
    I'm currently reading the new Harry Potter, then it's back to The Historian which I started, but only got about halfway through by the time I got back from vacation and found Harry waiting for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I'm reading Booked to Die by John Dunning. My mother sent me this book and two others in this series. They are dectective fiction with a bibliophilic (is that a word? ) twist. The lead character is a detective who yearns to be a bookseller and the crimes revolve around the book world. The author is an expert on rare and collectible books and used to own a bookstore, so he knows the topic very well. This one is a nice, breezy read, but with more substance than the usual cop thriller.
    My only disappointment with that series was that it was so short. Another half dozen would have been welcome. 3? I'm unsure whether I ever located/read the last one.

Another wonderful and all too short 3 book detective series revolves around Mark Schorr's character (and first title) Red Diamond, Private Eye.

A cab driver who escapes from reality (and his family) in the company of his collection of hard-boiled pulp fiction detective magazines until the day his not-so-loving wife sells them while he's at work. Coming home to this discovery he snaps and takes on the persona of one of his beloved heroes. Facinating what belief can do for a middle aged nobody. Before long he's rescuing dames and intimidating thugs, intent on saving his (fictional) gal Fifi LaRoche while wherever scum lurks he sees the work of (fictional) mobster Rocco Rico.

A real gem of a series.

Other titles are: Ace of Diamonds and Diamond Rock

Good luck locating them, I doubt they're in print.

+ Reply to Thread