+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Ugh, I just finished Angels and Demons. The bulk of the book was okay, but the ending was so trite and far fetched. I hate it when the author sets up a character in a favorable light and then uses crazy and unrealistic means to twist them into a "bad" character by the end.

I feel manipulated and used.

Oh well, onto Grapes of Wrath. I know my Mr. Steinbeck won't be so cheeky!!!

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    Right now I am reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I am reading it again for two reasons. The first is because I can not wait until Saturday and I need something to satisfy my Harry Potter appetite now. The second is because I want my Harry Potter knowledge to be up to date when I begin to read Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I can't wait!

<===== Look at my avatar!!
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

Quote Originally Posted by annfan
    A Bend in the Road-Nicholas Sparks

A real turnpager-couldn't seem to put it down last night which caused a bad morning.

Edited: Perfect evidence of my 4 hours of sleep: a real TURNPAGER-ya'll know what I meant.

I love this site and because of it I am enjoying "I know This Much Is True", by Wally Lamb, and I also just read Laurie Notaro's book as well. (the name escapes me, but it had to do with a bride). If you like Laurie Notaro, I definately suggest reading Not Tonight Honey- Wait 'til I'm a Size 6, by Susan Reinhardt. She writes a lot like Laurie does, but with a southern flair, instead of an Italian flair. It's really good and funny and I can totally relate to it.

Just finished two books by Anna Quindlen
    Black and Blue and One True Thing (read that one twice)
    both really good, her style of writing is very engaging.
    Now I'm reading The Mermaid Chair, by Sue Monk Kidd, I read her Secret Life of Bees and loved it.
    "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole" Roger Caras

Kao
    just finished Happy Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

I'm reading Booked to Die by John Dunning. My mother sent me this book and two others in this series. They are dectective fiction with a bibliophilic (is that a word? ) twist. The lead character is a detective who yearns to be a bookseller and the crimes revolve around the book world. The author is an expert on rare and collectible books and used to own a bookstore, so he knows the topic very well. This one is a nice, breezy read, but with more substance than the usual cop thriller.

I finished The Rule of Four last night and although I thought it was good, I think the hype was just that:hype. It had more of an intellectual feel to it than The DaVinci Code (which I thought read more like an adventure), but the plot just dragged on and on. Maybe it was mired in too much of the intellectual content.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I finished Running With Scissors - found it not so much disturbing as sad. I have to admit, though, I was laughing out loud at the passage about the Xmas tree that was left up until May.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I finished Running With Scissors - found it not so much disturbing as sad. I have to admit, though, I was laughing out loud at the passage about the Xmas tree that was left up until May.
    AJane, I read Running With Scissors a few days ago and liked it very much. I agree, deep down it is a deeply sad story, although Augusten Burroughs tells it more farce-like. Some parts are hilarious, some tragic and others plain gross, but every bit is incredibly well-written and captivating. "David Sedaris writing Hotel New Hampshire is an apt description (who posted that? You, Critical?).

On a related note: I read something about Gwyneth Paltrow making a movie called Running With Scissors. It has to be based on this book, right?

I've been on a real reading spree during my week en vacances (wrong language, I know) in Spain: Apart from Running With Scissors, I've also read Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman (as always: beautiful language, a nice Magic Realism feel, believable characters, and I loved the Wuthering Heights references), O is for Outlaw by Sue Grafton (one of the better Kinsey Millhone mysteries; funny and entertaining with a slightly more personal and serious streak than the other Millhone novels. Kinsey is a sympathetic character and she is the major reason why I decided to invest myself in the series again, years after I finished what I believed was my last Millhone mystery) and The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. I agree with Critical: it is better written and more intellectual than The DaVinci Code, but it definitely lacks a bit in the suspense department.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm always happy to hear that people read a book I like and they enjoy it as well! Running With Scissors is definitely not for everyone. Geek - the David Sedaris comment was something I found in a review of the book. I wish I could take credit for that cleverness but I didn't write it.

I'm about 100 pages from finishing John Dunning's The Bookman's Wake, which the second book in the series I mentioned above. Definitely a must-read for true bibliophiles. Lots of stuff about the process of printing books (and not the kind of printing done on a computer!), the trade in rare books and the book trade in general. I'll probably finish this one and immediately pick up the next book in the series!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    On a related note: I read something about Gwyneth Paltrow making a movie called Running With Scissors. It has to be based on this book, right?
    I googled this...it sure is. Gwyneth Paltrow is Hope, and Annette Bening is Deirdre. Evan Rachel Wood (isn't that the girl from Thirteen?) is Natalie. I'm not sure if I can post a link to imdb, but that's where I found it. I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Critical, you scored a hat trick with me with your recommendations (I recently finished Mystic River and The Red Tent as well) and I'll be picking up Rule of Four at the library today. Thank you!!!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread